The flood of "returned One X" posts brings to mind a few things

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a rash outbreak of "I'm returning my One X," "I've returned my One X," and "Good Lord kill my One X with fire" posts and a few thoughts come to mind, all related to our semi-beloved, semi-hated Galaxy Nexus.

(Please note that the EVO 4G LTE seems to suffer from the same reputation, with new owners being equally dismayed at actual/perceived faults. However, I've focused on the One X b/c of its considerable hype, great reviews, and the fact I want that sweet, sweet white matte finish ever so badly.)

1. Good reviews seemingly mean squat in real life. Look at the ratings for the Nexus and One X and tell me if you, intrepid AC'er, honestly believe that rating to hold up. Some might, some might not, I reckon.
  2. Every phone has its faults, but I'm not sure if it's ironic or coincidental that Android phones seem to have more "professed" faults than other devices carrying other operating systems. Fragmentation? Careless quality control? What gives?
  3. Aside from Motorola generally, what's with new phones and poor or perceptively poor radio signal/reception, WiFi included?
  4. As cool as ICS is, the devices currently carrying it have underwhelmed. Why?
  5. Being called an "iPhone killer" or "the one Android to rule them all" has quickly become a kiss of death.
  6. And lastly, if HTC and Samsung have these types of issues, who do we turn to for the Nexus? Huawei? Motorola's fine, but Google has already stated it doesn't want to raise the ire of other manufacturers and consumers by making it the "in house" brand. Now what?

What say you?

Last edited:

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: The flood of "returned One X" posts brings to mind a few thin

This is actually quite the interesting read. After dmmarck posted this, I proceeded to the HTC One X forums, and behold, so many people returning the device. The commonality looks to be the WiFi issue it has.

This is actually really sad to see such a good phone being returned because of lack of either support or hardware. I only say that because it seems the International One X doesn't seem to have these issues or I can't find what issues they might have.

I have never been more happier to have my Gnex. Definitely the best phone I have ever owned... even though I am going through my second one. Stupid Ghost Armor people effing up my phone.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Of course most of what you see will be complaints. Very few will come to just create a thread on how great and trouble free a phone is. Just go look at the Verizon community forums. That place is a cluster full of complaints on every phone. Seems that some aren't going to be happy with anything and others just have overly high expectations. As mentioned no phone is perfect. If you go in thinking that, you're just going to end up disappointed.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Good thread dmmarck..

In all honesty concerning the HTC One and its variant the EVO, are we being quick to judge.

Should the manufacture's & carrier be given a bit more time to attempt via software updates to fix the problems? I think so..

I will also at the same time not deny the existence of possible hardware related problems.

You have hit on a good point of what is the deal with the WIFI and radio issues that has seemed to plaque many devices in the last year and it hasn't been all just in Sammy's corner of the universe.

Quality control? Could be... Are they having to push these out so fast to meet demands that standards aren't being upheld as they should?

Myself being a consumer coming into my upgrade window in the next few months and interested in the EVO and SGSIII this has me being very cautious on my next device.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Of course most of what you see will be complaints. Very few will come to just create a thread on how great and trouble free a phone is. Just go look at the Verizon community forums. That place is a cluster full of complaints on every phone. Seems that some aren't going to be happy with anything and others just have overly high expectations. As mentioned no phone is perfect. If you go in thinking that, you're just going to end up disappointed.

I think the same could be said for Sprint or any carrier. Sprint has threads and threads full of complaints about signal quality and devices.

Not singling out your post, its valid and deserves to be here. :)

Reactions: AZDROIDX

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Don't these manufacturers do testing before release?
I recall the nexus had quite a few units in the wild and these test units had no issues?
If not then Samsung/HTC have major QC problems.
Maybe they do find issues, but to disrupt the production line with costly changes is deemed unworthy? "Ahh eff it it'll cost too much lets just release and hope for the best."

Like Phil said it's probably a very small percentage, but whew I'm glad my GN is good to go.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

I think the same could be said for Sprint or any carrier. Sprint has threads and threads full of complaints about signal quality and devices.

Not singling out your post, its valid and deserves to be here. :)

ha yeah. I just mentioned Verizon since it's the Verizon Gnex subforum. I can't imagine going to any others since the posts for the "most reliable" network makes me want to bang my head on the desk.

Don't these manufacturers do testing before release?
I recall the nexus had quite a few units in the wild and these test units had no issues?
If not then Samsung/HTC have major QC problems.
Maybe they do find issues, but to disrupt the production line with costly changes is deemed unworthy? "Ahh eff it it'll cost too much lets just release and hope for the best."

Like Phil said it's probably a very small percentage, but whew I'm glad my GN is good to go.

Too many variables that can't be accounted for like what apps someone installs, location, etc. I've had the Thunderbolt since release and was shocked at all the reboot troubles people were having as I didn't experience one until about a month later when I went to my parents' house which has fairly poor signal and ended up in reboot hell.

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much what Phil said. No one posts how great the phone is. They post the cons instead and rant. I'm sure if you creep into any iPhone forums you'll see posts of people ranting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Quality control? Could be... Are they having to push these out so fast to meet demands that standards aren't being upheld as they should?

I think quality control has alot to do with all the problems.

Software problems don't explain how my first three GN's all sent my calls to voice mail on a regular basis and were without a cell signal up to 50% of the time, but the 4'th one has been as dependable as any other phone I have ever used.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

ha yeah. I just mentioned Verizon since it's the Verizon Gnex subforum. I can't imagine going to any others since the posts for the "most reliable" network makes me want to bang my head on the desk.

Too many variables that can't be accounted for like what apps someone installs, location, etc. I've had the Thunderbolt since release and was shocked at all the reboot troubles people were having as I didn't experience one until about a month later when I went to my parents' house which has fairly poor signal and ended up in reboot hell.

You got that right.. I'm a Sprint customer but I understand your view... Carrier marks themselves as being the best and yet has device issues along with the timeliness of its updates...

Having the best 4g signal in the US doesn't do you a bit of good if the device in your hand can't receive it and utilize it properly...

I think quality control has alot to do with all the problems.

Software problems don't explain how my first three GN's all sent my calls to voice mail on a regular basis and were without a cell signal up to 50% of the time, but the 4'th one has been as dependable as any other phone I have ever used.

I agree... Quality control I think has taken a back seat to meeting demand. Yes the good experiences out weigh the bad in most cases but at the same time you hear way too much of hardware related problems or things that were just left as "good enough" to get the phone released and out the door.

I know the hacking community is a small piece of the pie but it still amazes me how what Google, manufacture or carrier calls "finished" is plagued with bugs. Yet a young, self taught dev comes through and fixes problems almost overnight at times... The companies have trained, educated developers that can't fix or overlooks these problems. Some thing is just wrong with this.... Kudos to the devs, and shame on the professional devs and internal testing rings that allow these problems to go into full production and release.

Your comment about the "4th one"... That is a shame... 4 attempts at getting a product that performs as expected. This goes for new and "refurbished".... Refurbs are the worse... I think Asurion gets their hands on these devices and half the time checks to see if they power up, wipes them and sends them back out... Why else would people get 3, 4, 5 bad refurbs in a row? (I've had 4 bad refurbed Epic 4g's in a row from Asurion...) Quality control? No... If it was given quality testing/refurbishing then this wouldn't happen.

Reactions: chubb and dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

First, I agree with what Phil and others mentioned--a forum is like a sounding board, and you will hear more complaints than praises. However, while this is very important to keep in mind, I don't think it necessarily undermines the observation that the 2 most heralded Android devices--perhaps ever--are plagued with negative feedback, with people ditching them in droves.

Now, potentially I am jumping the gun on the One X and the EVO 4G LTE. I recognize that it is in fact fairly early to judge either of them, particularly when the international One X variant seems to be doing so well. However, these days everything happens so quickly. You buy a phone and suddenly, 2 months later, it's obsolete. So on a whole, we're operating in a very, very fast technological timeline and I think that should cut both ways--for better and for worse.

What Paul says is very, very true as well--look at Steve Kondik of Cyanogen Mod (Mr. Cyanogen himself). CM was the first "major" rom in my book; it served as a complete AOSP replacement. CM is on pretty much every device, and certainly on every major device. Mr. Kondik was recognized for his results, being hired by Samsung some time last year.

What does that show you? It shows you that to a certain extent, companies like Samsung had a revelation--devs, like Paul said, can quickly diagnose and fix issues in software. These devs are, for the most part, "amateurs," self taught with basic computer science backgrounds. Yet they are able to rely on crowd sourcing for feedback, recognizing issues in their software within minutes or hours of release, and responding in due course with a fix--sometimes in that same evening!

Carriers, on the other hand, have never acted this swiftly. You only need to look at Verizon's slow, lethargic 4.0.4 roll out for a testament to this fact. The 4.0.4 update, for all intents and purposes, is a major update, but some of the things it fixes are things that roms have fixed or endeavored to fix long ago (stuff like lag and little fixes here and there). Yet for those who have not rooted or flashed a custom rom, they're left waiting for months--half a year, in fact--for a fix to their issues. Why?

And this is not just Samsung/Verizon, but carriers all over. So while new releases are occurring pretty much every 2-3 months, problems get overshadowed. Each and every manufacturer is in competition with each other, particularly now that Sammy seems to have a foothold on the "dominant Android manufacturer of the year" title. Is it really fragmentation to be blamed? If not, then what?

Last edited:

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I've long considered these types of devices to be over-hyped, to the point that people return the devices because it doesn't do everything that the hype promised.

The One X, in particular, has had this happen. The phone is a fantastic piece of hardware, with a beautiful screen and decent software (sorry, been on Sense before, not going back). This was the phone that was going to turn HTC around, that HTC was going to unite behind and push in every market. Even that hasn't happened, with the One X and One S being rebranded in various markets (see: EVO 4G LTE).

The hype surrounding the GSIII almost killed the device's announcement, as anyone who went to it came away unimpressed (now, reviews are waking up to the fact that it's a pretty good device).

I think that the One X was the phone that people who didn't get the Nexus were waiting for, and when they got it they realized that it wasn't so much better or didn't take their phone experience to a whole new level, and so they were naturally disappointed.

In other words, don't believe the hype. I think that AC does a decent job of not playing in to it, and that's one of the reasons why I love the blog. The hype only leads to disappointment.

The best advice I can give is to go play with the phones, and get the one that feels right in the hand, and feels fast. Even if the software isn't perfect, realize that it still runs Android and can be changed. :)

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
1) Overhype, high expectations.
2) People who confuse carrier and network issues with hardware issues indiscriminately
3) See # 2

Oh, and... great OP!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 2defmouze

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Great post. Something to remember, though, is far more people post about faults than likes. Same goes for returns.

Something has to be said for going to a forum for a specific device and seeing little to no complaints. When there are a bunch of complaints it is a pretty good indicator that there are some issues with the device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2!

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I jumped to the HTC on x from the gnex and I've been very happy with it. The at&t hox. No wifi issues here. But if your happy with it people tend not to say something about it, but if your unhappy then you will say something. I think its to validate them complaining about it. People want other people to tell you that you are right and the phone is horrible. I always go into those threads and tell them that I'm not having those issues and that this phones is a really good phone. That someone does like the phone .

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
First, I agree with what Phil and others mentioned--a forum is like a sounding board, and you will hear more complaints than praises. However, while this is very important to keep in mind, I don't think it necessarily undermines the observation that the 2 most heralded Android devices--perhaps ever--are plagued with negative feedback, with people ditching them in droves.

Now, potentially I am jumping the gun on the One X and the EVO 4G LTE. I recognize that it is in fact fairly early to judge either of them, particularly when the international One X variant seems to be doing so well. However, these days everything happens so quickly. You buy a phone and suddenly, 2 months later, it's obsolete. So on a whole, we're operating in a very, very fast technological timeline and I think that should cut both ways--for better and for worse.

What Paul says is very, very true as well--look at Steve Kondik of Cyanogen Mod (Mr. Cyanogen himself). CM was the first "major" rom in my book; it served as a complete AOSP replacement. CM is on pretty much every device, and certainly on every major device. Mr. Kondik was recognized for his results, being hired by Samsung some time last year.

What does that show you? It shows you that to a certain extent, companies like Samsung had a revelation--devs, like Paul said, can quickly diagnose and fix issues in software. These devs are, for the most part, "amateurs," self taught with basic computer science backgrounds. Yet they are able to rely on crowd sourcing for feedback, recognizing issues in their software within minutes or hours of release, and responding in due course with a fix--sometimes in that same evening!

Carriers, on the other hand, have never acted this swiftly. You only need to look at Verizon's slow, lethargic 4.0.4 roll out for a testament to this fact. The 4.0.4 update, for all intents and purposes, is a major update, but some of the things it fixes are things that roms have fixed or endeavored to fix long ago (stuff like lag and little fixes here and there). Yet for those who have not rooted or flashed a custom rom, they're left waiting for months--half a year, in fact--for a fix to their issues. Why?

And this is not just Samsung/Verizon, but carriers all over. So while new releases are occurring pretty much every 2-3 months, problems get overshadowed. Each and every manufacturer is in competition with each other, particularly now that Sammy seems to have a foothold on the "dominant Android manufacturer of the year" title. Is it really fragmentation to be blamed? If not, then what?

Very good points, and well written. So-called "amateur" developers, these days at least, get things done and fix any issues at a pace that isn't even
comparable to what the companies do. Obviously they don't have corporate, carrier, and other legal limitations that handcuff them like the "big boys" do, but still the pace they work at is incredibly impressive... And they do it for free/fun :)

I've long considered these types of devices to be over-hyped, to the point that people return the devices because it doesn't do everything that the hype promised.

The One X, in particular, has had this happen. The phone is a fantastic piece of hardware, with a beautiful screen and decent software (sorry, been on Sense before, not going back). This was the phone that was going to turn HTC around, that HTC was going to unite behind and push in every market. Even that hasn't happened, with the One X and One S being rebranded in various markets (see: EVO 4G LTE).

The hype surrounding the GSIII almost killed the device's announcement, as anyone who went to it came away unimpressed (now, reviews are waking up to the fact that it's a pretty good device).

I think that the One X was the phone that people who didn't get the Nexus were waiting for, and when they got it they realized that it wasn't so much better or didn't take their phone experience to a whole new level, and so they were naturally disappointed.

In other words, don't believe the hype. I think that AC does a decent job of not playing in to it, and that's one of the reasons why I love the blog. The hype only leads to disappointment.

The best advice I can give is to go play with the phones, and get the one that feels right in the hand, and feels fast. Even if the software isn't perfect, realize that it still runs Android and can be changed. :)

Time and time again AC impresses me with their refusal to post "reactionary" or hype stories. They consistently do their research and NEVER feed into BS hype or panic until they can provide actual facts for the readers. No other site compares in terms of news and reporting integrity. And some others (cough... Droidlife) are the complete, disgusting, shameless opposite.

Kudos to AC, I hope you never stop impressing me in this way.

Reactions: dmmarck

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site

Great post. Something to remember, though, is far more people post about faults than likes. Same goes for returns.

That reminds me of Office Space. If I screw up I have 5 people telling me I screwed up. If I do something good no one cares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevnew1