The New Nexus 7 hit the sweet spot! Then it bricked...

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Loving my new Nexus 7. Seriously, the form factor and size are amazing. My Note 8.0 is on ebay as a result.

It's so thin! In thickness and in width. How perfect. This is the tablet I have been waiting for since my first Nokia Internet Tablet!

Then I leave it plugged in when I go to work today and when I come home, it's a non-responsive brick. No button combos will wake it. It's dead. Google Support is a peach. But... why were they just so quick to offer a warranty replacement after nearly no troubleshooting? Part of me loves this because I don't have to play the game I usually have to play with the cable company (let's assume I have some modicum of technical expertise here), but also concerns me because they tried one button combo then said "Let's send you a replacement" and "this latest update is causing a lot of issues". New one here in a couple of days which is nice, but now my week old tablet is leaving me high and dry for a few days.

We'll see how the new one fares.

At this point I still say that this could be theperfect tablet for me.

Last edited:

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hoping the replacement works out for you!!! Sometimes you just get a dud. My first S4 had to be replaced in 16 days after I got it....new one no issues at all. So fingers crossed for you and the new nexus!

Posted via Android Central App

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I leave it plugged in when I go to work today and when I come home, it's a non-responsive brick. No button combos will wake it. It's dead.

Wow..
Another New Issue with the N7/13.. Luckily, the unit did not cause a fire in your home.. and just burned itself out. Man.. Good Luck with your next one.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Glad you're loving the new device! Mine has become a consistent companion. Sorry that it died (these things, unfortunately, sometimes happen), but I'm happy to hear Google has been responsive. I've always had a very easy time with Google support for nexus devices, so I'm not surprised to hear they acted immediately. Good luck with the new one! Fingers crossed, you won't have any issues!

Posted via Android Central App

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks folks. I too hope it is merely a bad unit. I have been waiting for the perfect Android Tablet for a while. This one really does it. I had none of the other issues people speak of and Google replaced my unit at no charge BEFORE my old one gets sent back. Excellent service.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
How long did you hold the power button down?
And did you try plugging it back into the charger again for a while first?

Sounds like mine...flakily drained the battery to zero or it thought it was zero and refused to turn on. My old N7 had the same software and lasted longer on the same charge...days versus 1/2 day randomly. I returned it too and decided to wait a bit to see if they issue another hardware release :p
Plugging mine in for 15min, then holding the power button for 30sec would turn it back on.

confuzzledcanuck

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of troubleshooting. In the case of a no power/brick issue there's only so many troubleshooting steps that can be done. If the device can't go into recovery and won't post when connected to the PC or wall charger it's usually going to need to be replaced.

I used to do technical support for a certain android competitor(I'm not going to name names but most people will guess who it is anyway) and beyond attempting a reset and attempting to force recovery mode there's only so much troubleshooting that can be done over the phone before having the repair depot look at the product

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Update:

No Nexus 7 on my doorstep when I got home yesterday and no email or call from Google. I emailed and got a response from the gal who helped me that I can update to 4.3. Wait?!?!? I cannot even power on, how can I update? One hour plus wait for Google on the phone means I am not going to sit on the phone and I am starting to get angry.

On a lark, I plugged in a non-Nexus cable and connected to my PC. Tried the Power/Volume Up button trick again (I did this countless times the other night), and WHOA! I got the Google screen then my Nexus 7 was alive and updating!

The true test will be if it works when I get home tonight.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
On a lark, I plugged in a non-Nexus cable and connected to my PC. Tried the Power/Volume Up button trick again (I did this countless times the other night), and WHOA! I got the Google screen then my Nexus 7 was alive and updating!

Sounds like exactly the behavior I saw. This honestly bugged me more than the GPS and multitouch issues that I didn't get affected by.
It would randomly act dead when I knew I'd have charged it the day before and it was just sitting there doing nothing.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow! It worked for a couple of days. Today I see that it has downloaded the 4.3 update. I let it restart to install and it never turns back on.

I tried plugging it into my PC again, and after holding the power button for 10 seconds, I hear my PC "bonk" like a device is connected then fail. Nothing on the tablet screen.

I want nothing more that to just use and enjoy this great device.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO