The Nexus 6 Could Be the Nexus X Because of Blade Runner

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't want my phone to have seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion ... :p

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That is an older article from August.... I read another one that was RUMORED to confirm Google was going to press forward with Nexus 6.... Meaning they either believe legally any Blade Runner lawsuit wouldn't hold up very well in court or the $60+ billion in cash Google has on hand is enough to just make them go away (or they've already worked behind the scenes to fix this up ahead of time)

Book was published back in 1968 and Blade Runner was 1982.... 90% of the kids working at Google were not even born before 1982.... (I am guessing here)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The rights-holders for the Blade Runner film and/or Philip K. ****'s estate should tell Google to go ahead with the Nexus 6 name, and do a tie in to release a new version of the movie.

EDIT: LOL, I can't believe the language filter bleeped out the author's last name!;)

Last edited:

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Good idea about a new version of the movie. I have a Blade Runner box set and there's already four versions (US theatrical cut, international theatrical cut, director's cut, the final cut). If Ridley Scott has a bit more money maybe he'll leave the dopey bits out of his next Prometheus film.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just as long as Ridley Scott doesn't do a Lucas job on Blade Runner and keep tinkering and tinkering with special effects. They're perfect the way they are!

I was thinking more of a completely restored and cleaned-up print of the movie, using digital tools. I'd watch that on the big screen again in a heartbeat!

stylez619

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
A little insight from the perspective from the OEM manufacturer. The naming process of any device comes with months and months of extensive market testing. In this case, it's pretty straight forward since it's a successor in the current line - but I digress.

The shelf life and profitability of any device is between 8-16 months - lets just call it a year for ease of arguments sake. While working at LG, we ran into this very same circumstance a number of times. But guess what, we don't care. Why? Because litigation in any legal process takes twice as long (if not more) than the marketing time and production life of a device. So, during the course of that year while the OEM continues to rake in profits for the use of such a namesake, the legal process is still on-going. When the device's market life is done and production is ceased, the OEM will finally settle out of court and the problem goes away because they've already accomplished what they needed in marketing terms.

This happens All. The. Time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that perspective! I wonder if that's why we end up having a number of devices that sound similar (like HTC One, OnePlus One, Alcatel OneTouch, etc.).

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Very interesting perspective from the marketing side, stylez; could be that we'll see a device called a Nexus 6 anyway.

I was thinking more of a completely restored and cleaned-up print of the movie, using digital tools. I'd watch that on the big screen again in a heartbeat!
Blade Runner: The Final Cut (2007) is a digitally restored and remastered version. Looks and sounds great.

Hard to believe that filter removes the name ****. I chuckle when I see it taking out the middle syllable of Japanese company Mastu****a... but what if a user's name really is ****? A tad insulting.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Nope -- apparently not! Major equipment retailer in Australia that sells bucketloads of Android devices is **** Smith Electronics - maybe why I never see their adverts on AC!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadeharper