The Samsung Epic 4g Hall of Fame

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just a little something silly I through together here but I figured since the Galaxy S line was such a big deal in 2010/2011 its only proper that those walking away to newer devices only give a well deserved little shout out as they leave. We had so many dedicated/regular members for the Epic 4g and I hate seeing them all go as we move onward to new horizons.

Take a min.. .Throw a post up and say a few fun words about what you did or didn't like about the Epic 4g. Maybe it was rooting for the first time or your first Android device...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I personally enjoyed 9 months that I rocked the Epic 4g. It was my first Android phone after coming off Blackberry and Nextels... I had so much fun with the Epic 4g, I not only learned how to root my device but create a whole new fun world for myself and take what was only a cell phone to a whole new level in my life. I met a lot of wonderful users along the way and feel the Epic community was probably one of the best around when compared to some of the others.

I have since moved onward to the Nexus S 4g and have really been enjoying the Pure Google experience. I really hope the rumors are true and Sprint gets a shot at the next Nexus device.

Final words, I have really enjoyed learning, helping and becoming apart of the Android community via the Epic 4g and Android Central. I really wouldn't want it any other way :)

Paul.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I learned so much from the Epic. It was my first intro to Android. Just by having the epic I have learned things I never thought possible like; using command prompt, SDK, and Ubuntu. I never would have touched those things without my Epic. I also learned that despite what appears to be an intimidating process, 9 times out of 10 it isn't. For that 10th time there is always an awesome community to help you through. If you mess it up that same community will help you fix it to. My Epic 4g has seriously changed the way I live. I am more organized and my multitasking ability has gone through the roof.

2 things that drove me insane about my epic:
1. The stupid beep when my phone loses signal; I hope the SGSII fixed this.
2. Sliding the keyboard unlocked the phone.

One last point: I may be the only one but touchwiz never really bothered me that much. I hate the donut launcher on android 2.1 and below.

Last edited:

rdybala

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Although I'm not leaving anytime soon (just got my Epic back in March) I will say that for all it's faults, I can't believe how much I've learned, and not just about rooting, but Android in general. It is my first Android phone, and like you Paul, I came from the Nextel BB 8350i and what a difference! I will say that the wait for official GB has been excruciating at times, but for the most part, I love my phone. I especially love it when my gf tries to give me reasons for wanting an IPhone 5 and I'm all, my phone that came out in 2010 already does that!

I have to say too, like dtm_stretch, I never minded TW much, but I HATED the stock color scheme for Froyo. Eclair had a better looking color scheme and menu, IMHO. After that update, I decided to give rooting a try and lo and behold, not as difficult as advertised. I initially tried out Bonsai 4.1 and while good, I wasn't blown away. After trying a GB leak, and not caring too much for the constant FCs, I came across SRF 1.2 and then found out that I could pick the kernel, I was ecstatic. The fact that overclocking is that easy on Genocide 2.0 made my day, and I'll never forget pushing that bad boy to 1.4 and watching my benchmark roll from low 1400s on Bonsai to mid level 2100s! Ready for SRF 1.3 or even 2.0 (if they ever release official GB)!

Thanks to everyone on this site, namely Paul627g & dtm_stretch, mysteryemotionz & qbking77 @ ACS, mammon @ Bonsai, et al, and hopefully, I will feel proficient enough one day to offer help to someone else, like you all have for me.

Last edited:

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The Epic 4G was my introduction to Android, and for that, I will always have a special place for it. Quite groundbreaking. I loved finally getting introduced to rooting and slashing ROMs, and I loved the customization abilities that I had access to. Not sure yet if I'll move onto GSII E4GT or if I'll hold out for something else, but I'm glad that I got broken in with the Epic and all of its features.

Thanks to all you experts out there that helped to make the transition easier!

blakealsobrook

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The best phone on sprint 2010 thru 2011 for sure. Had a ton of fun rooting, customizing, multitasking, and helping others to appreciate android and the community. In all honesty, I could use this phone for another year and have no problems.

If there were a list of pros that I had to line out the highlights would be:
The amazing screen: gorilla glass, super amoled is still amazing, and the touch screen is always responsive.
The still surprisingly fast processor: can run any video or game while keeping the browser, facebook, or respond to text messages with little to no lag.
The learning process for root and roms: great community to help with leaks, cwm, and zip installed programs.

The con is only that samsung doesn't seem to care about supporting their hardware.
The froyo debacle: constantly checking google news, androidcentral, and youtube for leak info and leaked builds became tiresome. It was like searching for a lost screw to put an electronic back together. I hated seeing the evo, and every other device getting support for flash, sd card app storage and the new google apps compatibility. The fact that we all waited until march 5th for the actual update is ridiculous. Which brings me to my next point...
The gingerbread debacle: the optimus s got it's update to gingerbread today, and I'm still rocking the only stable froyo rom from sammy. It has been 10 months guys, wtf? If the international version of the galaxy s has had it since april, where is my delicious gingerbread? And so help me god, if we don't get the scrolling hum and or the crt off animation.... there will be hell to pay. The last build I ran was eh06. The launcher was slow, the gps didn't work, and there were random reboots. How hard is it to get a dediated team of people to apply rfs and aosp for maximum efficiency resource management? If cm can do it for the evo 5 months before the update, then sammy should have been able to do it considering the fact that the epic and the nexus are running almost identical hardware. I know ext4 is the differentiator, and touchwiz utilizes rfs for the gs series, but get it together.

Overall, great phone. Bad support. But I'll wait for the prime to switch. That phone and os is the new way forward. Hopefully it launches before the end of this year on sprint.

Blake

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, what everyone else said. But seriously folks, I came to the Epic from a Treo 755p. Think I was happy? After extensive research and study, took the leap and rooted and honestly, through all the pitfalls and glitches, the phone is more fun than it ever was and I'm benchmarking at high 1400's. Gonna keep our two Epics for a bit, don't need more phone than we already have. Heck, we might even learn to make phone calls with them if we hold onto them long enough.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Even though I had a Moment before this, I have learned more about Android than I ever wanted to (that's a good thing!). This was honestly, the first phone I was content and happy with. All the other phones had these little niggles here and there but this phone was perfection while it lasted. When I first got this phone I was thinking: I'm going to root this thing! Unfortunately, I've gotten into a couple of rough bumps, thinking I had to pay $500-$600 (forgot the full price) for a paperweight when I bricked it but then...Paul came to save the day (also Ragnarox but Paul was there for most of the time)! I swear Paul, I never knew this was your first Android phone :). It always seemed like you had an Android phone before this one. Now that I think of it, I was a lot like Ted when I first got the Epic. Paul, I just have to say you are the eagle eye of this forum! It was nice having you here (and you still are!). Well, I will be waiting for the Epic 4G Touch in December when my upgrade is eligible.

Officer

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the comments everyone... I figured it might floor a few people when they came to realize this was my first go around with Android. I've always been a fast learner so picking up on Android was not a big deal ( I'm still learning to this day! LOL )

Anyways, this is exactly what I wanted to see from this thread... Good fun comments about the phone. Continue on !

Reactions: ShaLea

kitchin

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The Epic 4G was my first Android phone is I love this thing just as much as the day I started going gaga on the free apps in the market. This phone rocked and taught me so much. I got into rooting the phone, started learning about hardware and the Android software developments, and soon I became the guy to go to for questions on anything Android (and anything Samsung!).

I've loved every moment of it, minus the delay between updates, but even after I am no longer using the phone, it will still be loved by my girlfriend as her VZW contract ends and I add her to my plan with my discount. Even without the updates to the latest version of android being quick and steady, sometimes being rather buggy, this phone has shown just how good life can be, showing-up plenty of phones that were updated the day after it came out and still shining in the dark with that damn pretty SAMOLED screen.

Most of this would never had happened without the Don, Paul627g, you were the single greatest help a man could get when it comes to information and easy explanations. I will be forever in your debt and hope that my next phone will be the same as yours, it'd be nice to read your posts in the future.

Thanks again for everything you and the xda/android community has put in to helping all of us little caterpillars inch along with a truly great android experience.

Reactions: Paul627g

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Most of this would never had happened without the Don, Paul627g, you were the single greatest help a man could get when it comes to information and easy explanations. I will be forever in your debt and hope that my next phone will be the same as yours, it'd be nice to read your posts in the future.

Thanks again for everything you and the xda/android community has put in to helping all of us little caterpillars inch along with a truly great android experience.

BIG +1

Reactions: ShaLea and Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
LOL... No thanks, I wanted this thread to be as its titled.... Its great to hear that I was a instrumental part for many of you learning the ropes and getting to where you are today. Crazy part was even in my first few weeks of rooting and running ROMs I was already tossing my hat into the ring attempting to answer questions and help where ever possible, right or wrong... I always had Ragnarokx there to back me up if I was incorrect, so I do as I've said many times before owe much of my skills to him.

I still want this thread to be for the users to say a few words for a device that I believe really shaped the mid 2010 into mid 2011 era of phones. Actually the entire Galaxy S line was a big hit in my opinion as it really opened everyone's eyes to AMOLED screens and was/is a mighty little power house for its time. Also its still a very popular development device for those interested in rooting.

Overall I believe this was a big win win situation for all the carriers regardless of the slow/lack of updates by Samsung.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Like I said before Paul you should change your name to superpaul627g you helped me more then once I am still using my epic I plan on getting an epic touch then when the epic 2 with keyboard comes I will go over to that... Samsung sucked far as updates but sprint is just as much at fault as well... what you did with ace and acsrf did makes the epic a lot better.... thank you Paul and I have even been thinking of grabbing a nexus s I have one at the shop with a cracked screen I think I may just rebuild it new housing and screen and its good to go....

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I like that Nexus rebuilding idea ;) After pulling my Epic apart quite a few times and stripping it down to pieces I learned real fast these things are so easily fixed with the exception of a few things.

I would get my hands on a screen and get that thing activated !

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll keep it short & sweet:

I love my Epic, but I must say that I think this may be my only Android phone. I plan to stay w/the Epic until the iPhone 5 comes out (hopefully early 2012).

Android has been great.
The Techies in this forum is the absolute BEST.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
+1 regarding the screen. i didn't want to leave sprint and was rocking the original samsung instinct, so at the time it was the evo 4g or..well, nothing else really. i was an android virgin at the time. for some reason, i was never interested in crackberry, glad i didn't get on the bandwagon then. i did liked webOS, but Palm was waffling (ditto there).

i used the trial period on the evo and liked it, but when it was put next to the epic, the SAMOLED just popped out and grabbed me. wow, night and day, almost.

the slideout KB was not a major deal, it was the screen. although, i've found myself using the KB more and more. i better stop because it seems manufacturers are doing away with slideouts for high-end devices.

(although i've never had to ask paul67g for help (still not rooted, yet), i've read many threads where paul67g went out of his way to help all who asked. even when i thought it was impossible request. kudos to paul67g for sure. when i do upgrade, i'm thinking i need to pick the one paul67g picks so i can continue to follow him...)

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
+1 regarding the screen. i didn't want to leave sprint and was rocking the original samsung instinct, so at the time it was the evo 4g or..well, nothing else really. i was an android virgin at the time. for some reason, i was never interested in crackberry, glad i didn't get on the bandwagon then. i did liked webOS, but Palm was waffling (ditto there).

i used the trial period on the evo and liked it, but when it was put next to the epic, the SAMOLED just popped out and grabbed me. wow, night and day, almost.

the slideout KB was not a major deal, it was the screen. although, i've found myself using the KB more and more. i better stop because it seems manufacturers are doing away with slideouts for high-end devices.

(although i've never had to ask paul67g for help (still not rooted, yet), i've read many threads where paul67g went out of his way to help all who asked. even when i thought it was impossible request. kudos to paul67g for sure. when i do upgrade, i'm thinking i need to pick the one paul67g picks so i can continue to follow him...)

Then you need to pick up a nexus :p
That's what we are rocking now :p