The size debate

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Lots of talk across this and note 9 forum and I thought I'd share my thoughts as I keep going back and forth on the size thing and am coming to the conclusion that there is no 100% right answer!

I usually have an iPhone and android device and for the last couple of months that combo has been the iPhone X and S9+ (I did pick up an essential phone but that is another story!) I only use 1 at a time and swap my sim as the mood takes me. Despite regretting my colour choice on the 9+ (Coral blue) I have been happy with it despite the iPhone being more manageable for one handed use and less of burden to carry. I have just returned from holiday and used both phones and there is no doubt that the holiday scenario really highlighted the additional burden of the 9+, I barely knew I was carrying the iPhone whereas the 9+’s presence in my shorts was obvious, not a major hassle but noticeable vs the iPhone.

When I returned I started to wonder about trading the 9+ for the smaller 9 and me being me it was not long before I sold the 9+ and picked up the 9 in the Titanium Grey colour I always wanted. A few days in and I am regretting the decision, yes the smaller 9 is more manageable but it just feels too small and I am also really noticing the battery difference too, so I find myself considering returning it and picking up the 9+ again. The silver lining is that I would be getting the Titanium colour and 256g storage but it would be an expensive lesson nonetheless and at my age I should have known better!

I think that the screen sizes on the S9/plus is misleading as you do lose some space with the curve and this coupled with the narrower aspect ratio I think makes the S9 just slightly too small. I think what I have learned (again!) is that whilst a small phone is great for one handed use and easier to carry, a larger screen is 9 times out of 10 worth the extra burden. As an aside I’m not considering the Note 9 as despite having a Note ‘itch’ I just cannot see me using the S pen other than the odd occasion here and there, the FPS looks awkwardly placed vs the 9+ (Too high) and it is of course even bigger still! Not a price issue as in the UK it is only £30 more.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
The corners and different edge angle are actually the only reason I do still have the note at back of my mind.

It is a beast though.

Jimmy Le1

May 22, 2015
Visit site
It's kind a 2 sides of a coin .. depends on who and how people use it
For me ..:
S 9 : Too small , probably good for people like to use with 1 hand ..?
N 9 : Too tall.. " Obnoxiously big" , so uncomfortably to reach finger scan ..!
S 9+ is perfect .. has everything i need
Coming from N5 , N7 and N8 ..
I can live without S.pen .. :)

Last edited:

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Actually think LG nailed the perfect size with the V30 and G7. The essential phone too with its different aspect ratio is a nice size.

Not measured the S9 but I think you lose quite a bit with the edge display, it's probably closer to 5.5" excluding the edge.

Emily 1

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I use a S9 and the size is right for me. I compared in store before buying, and the S9+ just seemed too big for me. I probably could have adapted, but I was happy with what the S9 offered. In the end it comes down to each individual's preference.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Had the Note 8 and it was a bit too tall to comfortably fit in pockets, looked at the s9+ but it's basically the same size. I went with the regular s9 and it's just the right size, I don't miss the screen size difference from the Note yet this is so much more pocketable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noods