Thinking of getting an LG G3::please share your experience

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
I've used all iphone versions (included iphone 6) and all Note series (included Note 4). Because I had a note 3 prior so the note 4 wasn't too impressive for me to keep and the iphone 6 was too boring. I played with it for less than 2 weeks, then sold it.

I want something new. But I don't like the Nexus 6 because it doesn't have a removable battery and no SD card slot and it's out of stock :) . Just me!

I stopped by AT&T today and scanned through the LG G3 and I like it so far. I am thinking of getting one tomorrow while Amazon has it for $0.01 (one cent) and I am sure Best Buy will match that.

So, what do I need to know about the LG G3? (good and bad)

GOOD:

BAD:

thanks

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm only 6 days in but for me:
Good: screen. It's huge but the phone isn't. Brilliant!
Removeable battery (no need for this yet but if it needs replaced or phone is unresponsive)
Camera. Pics look great. Love the gimmicks like "cheese" and selfie features (I have a face like a melted welly so do t really take selfies but it's a cool trick)
Silly things like the home screen showing rain when it's raining outside (like rain on window)
Wireless charging
Not technically the phone but the quick circle case is nice and like quick access to camera etc.
Knock on is good
Guest mode
Sd card (I like a lot of music available and I had to carefully manage my music on my 16gb nexus 4)

BAD: not much I've found yet (I'm sure others will have opinions but like I said I'm only 6 days in). The battery has had bad days in terms of drain but it's also had some days that have been great. So maybe just my usage or rogue app

Good and bad. Lg apps preloaded (I had a nexus 4 before) some are good (screenshot memo thing and remote for TV) others I'm not so sure I'll ever use. (Fm radio???)

I'm sure I'll change my mind over some of these as I use it more but on the whole it's a massive positive upgrade from my nexus 4

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Coming from HTC One (M7). Battery on LG G3 lasts longer with GPS on 24/7 than One's battery with GPS off. Typical day at home, One battery below 40% when plugged into charger for the night, G3 battery above 60%.
Circle case is fantastic, hardly ever use the power button. Native keyboard's word suggestion not as good as HTC. Camera a lot better. Wireless charging nice, worth the cost for the convenience.

JuanJcontr3

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Dude, get the G3! It's amazing phone! Battery, screen, knock on, compact(compared to others with screen size), beautiful design, powerful, and soon we get Android L.

Posted via the Android Central App

BORIStheBLADE

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm about three weeks in and really like the phone. I use my phone a lot and get about 18 hours out of the battery every day. I'm sure everyone's use varies so it could get better or worse depending on the user.

I love the screen and the phone size is about my limit. anything bigger and I wouldn't want it. I really like the Knock On to turn on the screen..

The camera is pretty fast and takes good pictures.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
..... I'm sure everyone's use varies so it could get better or worse depending on the user. .....
Screen on time is the major battery drain. Then signal strength has a lot to do with it; the stronger the signal, the less power the phone has to put out to communicate with the towers. Haven't tried my G3 at camp yet, but on my HTC One, around home I'd be down to 40% or less around bedtime, At camp, 15 % or less, due to weaker signal.
So battery life depends a lot on the individual's usage and location. Not much one can do to improve things if they live in a weak signal area. A microcell in the house helps a lot.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
For me, 4 months in, the G3 has so few shortcomings, I'm inclined to say it has none. It's about as good as it gets. There may be a better phone out there, taking everything into consideration including price, but I don't know what it would be.

Posted via Android Central App

SM496

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had the G3 for a few months now and love it. The battery life is great. I'm an average user with no special tech background and this phone is perfect. The camera is great, Crisp clean pictures. The screen is not as superb as the S5, but it gets the job done for being a LCD. The bezel is better than any other phone out there. I composted to an iPhone 6+, the same size. Love the knock on, sometimes it's buggy and sensitive. You grow accustomed to the rear buttons and it is second nature to have them placed in the rear.

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have about 4 month's time with the g3, and have no complaints. This is the best phone I have ever owned. I also came from the Samsung note series phone, and form factor wise the g3 smokes the Note series phone.
The fact that they manage to get a 5.5" screen and still make the phone not feel like a phablet. Couple that with no touchwiz, knock on feature and rear volume/power control, and a fantastic camera, makes this unit a winner. In fact, I think the above features have ruined me from getting any other device! Lol

Last edited:

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
G3 is almost perfect with only few minor gripes. First the resolution is ultra sharp but the display lacks punch. When not comparing it side by side with another phone you will never notice but as soon as you place it next to another device the difference in brilliance is immediately noticed. Secondly the stock camera takes blurry photos. This is due to the fact that the stock camera while brilliant in good lighting it intriduces noise into pics in low light pics and LGs stock camera has an algorithm which reduces noise in low light by smoothing out the noise. The problem with this is this same algorithm also smooths out perfectly lit photos which can cause blurry lines. To avoid this use a 3rd party camera and just use the flash in low light situations. I am currently using google camera. While with flash off in low light the pics taken with the google camera are noisier than those taken with the stock camera the pics are much sharper since this algorithm is being bypassed. To compensate for this I just use flash in low light situations and I'm fine. No more blurry pics. Phase detection focus on the google camera is just as fast as the laser focus on the stock camera so I'm not missing anything there. My final gripe is the omission of Quick Charge 2.0. This is supposedly built into the 801 SOC but up to the OEM to enable it. If this is true then I'm wondering why LG hasn't enabled it for us. The HTC One M8 and the Moto X 2014 both have the same SOC as the LG G3 yet those other guys have Quick Charge 2.0 and we don't. Other than that the LG G3 is near perfect and is loaded under the hood.

anon(5804888)

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm loving the G3. I want every bit of it's screen for my old eyes and ham handed fingers. Somehow with this phone my shaky hands manage focused pictures. Still acclimatizing to this version of Android. My sound is excellent. I have read people"s comments with sound deficiencies, but everyone comments on the improvement and it sounds better to me also. I also like the added processor power. It doesn't have the finish that my wife's S5 has, but I get better pictures and mine is lots more fun than her old iPhone. Oh yes. Love the removable battery and having an SD card again which was absent from my Sorint G. I have it all protected up with a hybrid case that puts soft stuff against the phone and a hard case around that, plus I use a holster.

Last edited:

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Can we get some feedback on voice commands? I drive a lot during the day and need to make calls without looking down at the phone. Pulling over, looking through contacts list at stop lights/signs and manually dialing with my GS3 is BS, need to upgrade.

Cozmohoot

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a g2 and want to upgrade. In the store the 3 didn't have the button on bottom to pull the top/notification area down.
I love that button, is it possible to add that to stock? Tia

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a g2 and want to upgrade. In the store the 3 didn't have the button on bottom to pull the top/notification area down.

Yes, You can add that to the navigation bar

sent from my nexus 7 on lollipop 5.0

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Only a week in but great experience so far. Battery life is stellar and camera is awesome!

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Loving mine just a week and a half in. The phone us very comfortable in the hand and sturdy (have a thin TPU case). Battery took a few days to break in and not as good as my outgoing Galaxy S5 but the radios and reception have been outstanding compared to the Samsung. I also have Nova Launcher and all animations turned off so the phone is fast with no lag. Very happy so far. Enjoy!

Cozmohoot

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone else chime in. I don't wanna upgrade unless it has the dropdown button.
Yes, You can add that to the navigation bar

sent from my nexus 7 on lollipop 5.0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemal