Thinking of trading by LTEVO in

danibal

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm considering trading my much loved LTEVO in (for the moment) until I see what exactly the GS3 has inside. It seems like all of the S4 GS3's seem to have 2 GB of RAM. While I know most people say this isn't important and 1 GB is plenty, I know that having 2 GB can only help with future updates (hello Jelly Bean possibly Key Lime? Yes I know this is Samsung so who knows).

I definitely am not saying I wouldn't come back to the LTEVO, but since I'm going to be keeping whatever phone I get for 2 years, I want to make sure it's going to be great for that time. If I don't like what I see with the GS3, I will definitely come back to the LTEVO since I haven't had any issues at all with it and the battery is insane. My wife definitely thinks I'm crazy (she'd still have her blackberry tour if she had her way), but I've got an epic that still works great and it looks like the GS3 will be out within the next month or so. Sigh, I hate having to make these tough life or death decisions (okay, maybe not that important, but damnit a phone is pretty close).

Is anyone else even considering this (yes I know I'm posting this in the LTEVO forums and am likely to get blasted for even considering this)?

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It's a perfectly fine thing to consider this switch, but 2GB is the stupidest reason to do so. At this point in Android's life (and for the foreseeable future), it will not make a shred of difference in day to day usability.

With the Sprint version likely to feature the same chipset as our EVO, very similar battery, as well as a comparable camera and worse screen, the deciding factor will come down nearly entirely to software. Personally, I don't see myself warming up to the gimmick-infused Nature UX. Sense 4 (and eventually ROM'd) is the way I'm going.

Ultimately, it may be best to keep the EVO, as the difference in performance between the EVO and SGSIII will likely be nill. You could be waiting till early August for the SIII, who knows. It's all up in the air at this point. EVO is out now. Both of these phones will be severely outclassed in performance by the end of the year. We're due for another big leap in performance with the arrival of the next OMAP and Exynos A15 processors, as well as the quadcore S4 Pro. They'll run circles around what we currently have. If you're truly waiting for a "future-proof" phone (lol, how fast this industry moves...), that would be the leap to wait for. I'd bet my hat that one of the next Nexus phones due by years end will have a Exynos 5250, Super AMOLED+ HD, 2GB RAM and Jellybean:-$

danibal

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
It's a perfectly fine thing to consider this switch, but 2GB is the stupidest reason to do so. At this point in Android's life (and for the foreseeable future), it will not make a shred of difference in day to day usability.

With the Sprint version likely to feature the same chipset as our EVO, very similar battery, as well as a comparable camera and worse screen, the deciding factor will come down nearly entirely to software. Personally, I don't see myself warming up to the gimmick-infused Nature UX. Sense 4 (and eventually ROM'd) is the way I'm going.

Ultimately, it may be best to keep the EVO, as the difference in performance between the EVO and SGSIII will likely be nill. You could be waiting till early August for the SIII, who knows. It's all up in the air at this point. EVO is out now. Both of these phones will be severely outclassed in performance by the end of the year. We're due for another big leap in performance with the arrival of the next OMAP and Exynos A15 processors, as well as the quadcore S4 Pro. They'll run circles around what we currently have. If you're truly waiting for a "future-proof" phone (lol, how fast this industry moves...), that would be the leap to wait for. I'd bet my hat that one of the next Nexus phones due by years end will have a Exynos 5250, Super AMOLED+ HD, 2GB RAM and Jellybean:-$

Yeah, I'm not even 100% sure on if I'm going to trade the phone in. I feel like a politician, constantly flip flopping. This phone is definitely a great phone that I have absolutely no issues with, so it's a hard decision for me. Especially thinking of all the issues that my Epic had when it first launched. As for Nature or whatever they're calling it, I'd only have it for as long as it took to get rooted and Roms.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I've decided to wait a bit longer. I sent my LTE back, but rather than swap it for a replacement, I decided to reset my upgrade status. So I can either get another Evo, an SGSIII, or neither. No matter what I get, it's going to be rooted and rom'd, so I'm starting to lean more towards the SGSIII's superior hardware.

ReaganDee

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I hate this logic. Why even get a new phone ever? There will always be a better phone coming out a few months after you buy. That is how technology works people. Pick something and enjoy it until you want to move on. The whole "I am waiting because the next big phone is probably better" logic is so annoying. EVERY NEXT BIG PHONE IS BETTER!!

Reactions: MthII

danibal

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I hate this logic. Why even get a new phone ever? There will always be a better phone coming out a few months after you buy. That is how technology works people. Pick something and enjoy it until you want to move on. The whole "I am waiting because the next big phone is probably better" logic is so annoying. EVERY NEXT BIG PHONE IS BETTER!!

That's not how I am honestly. I know I'm either going to end up with the LTEVO or the GS3. Just not sure which, I want to leave my options open, that's all.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Wish you the best with your GS3

lucky for you it comes with ice cream sandwich... never telling when the next update will be

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
dont let all the specs and advertising of Samsung products suck you in, they build rubbish and are slow to update, not to mention terrible gps, wonky wifi, bad location services..........

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
dont let all the specs and advertising of Samsung products suck you in, they build rubbish and are slow to update, not to mention terrible gps, wonky wifi, bad location services..........

Problem is, you could make a similar list about HTC devices: wonky 3G, light bleed on screen, unglued screens; this forum alone tells the story. Both devices are awesome, but some of each are bound to have issues. I've absolutely loved my Evo 4G (once I got a good one), but haven't had any of the issues you mention with my Galaxy Tabs (7 and 10.1) either.

I'm with the OP. I'm going to end up with one or the other, but this race is too close to call :)

skoolboi

May 28, 2012
Visit site
There is no such thing as the ultimate or perfect phone Just like different models of everything else, each has its pros and cons and it will just be a matter of personal preference which one you end up going with.. The debate will rage on forever ...with there being no clear winner ever

jpmciver

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else even considering this (yes I know I'm posting this in the LTEVO forums and am likely to get blasted for even considering this)?

I have been considering this as well, I just want to know when the GS3 is going to come out. If it isnt until September or later then I will wait...but if it is mid July or even early August it might be worth considering.

I dont know if sprint would seriously consider adding the GS3 to the line of phones. For some reason I don't think they would.

If i get my EVO in the next 24 hrs this will all be a mute point

danibal

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I prefer sense over touchwiz (touchwiz is a samsung thing right?)

Am I the only one on that boat?

I agree with this. Sense, imo is much better then touchwiz. I generally root and rom my phones though, so doesn't really matter.

With that said, I'm still not 100% sure about exchanging my phone, I really do like this phone. Who knows what I'll do, I'll let fate lead the way.

rundown87

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Why are people saying 2gb isn't going to matter? I can barely run temple run on my epic. Most of the time it runs the boot screen for the game and then back to my homescreen unless I go kill some apps. I really don't know which one I'm going with, yet. Leaning toward the GS3, but release date will be a pretty big factor.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Why are people saying 2gb isn't going to matter? I can barely run temple run on my epic. Most of the time it runs the boot screen for the game and then back to my homescreen unless I go kill some apps. I really don't know which one I'm going with, yet. Leaning toward the GS3, but release date will be a pretty big factor.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

That's touch wiz for you. :)

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

i agree. i have been boned in the past by not waiting tho. i bought the hero and a month later the og evo was announced. so this time i waited. my contract was up in january but i waited to hear about the next big thing. the evo lte was it. i thought about waiting until the next big phone after the evo (which became the sg3) but i said to myself, why? the next big thing will be overshadowed by the next big thing and so on. the evo lte was advanced enough to make me completely happy that i pre-ordered it and now that ive had the phone for a week, im glad with my decision.