News This is why I'm going to Best Buy for my Galaxy S24 Plus preorder — $1,000 discount, free gift cards, and more

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy Experience store in Kangnam, Seoul just put the s24 series phones out to try, today. Honestly, I think the Plus model will also do well. It isn't much smaller than the 24 Ultra (the thin clock line being the only difference in size), and has rounded corners. Was surprised that the 24's are quite a bit thinner in feel over the 23's. One thing I like about my s21 is that it's quite a bit thinner than the s22 and s23 base models and plus models are. It seems like they've gotten back to a thinner feel on the s24 base and plus models. Big win!

To be honest, I do feel the 24 Ultra's screen has lost a bit of pop and dimensionality compared to the 23 Ultra. The 24 isn't bad, but I didn't feel wow'd by it, either. Actually, I was surprised that the colors didn't really stand out like I remember the s23 Ultra doing in the stores. I might pick up a used 23 Ultra and save $500. Nice phones, but for the money, a used 23 someone is dumping for a 24 will be a bargain. I run the s21 and still don't see a need to upgrade. The base 24 and plus here are Exynos. I did feel some warmth on the base 24 model, but not the 24+

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy Experience store in Kangnam, Seoul just put the s24 series phones out to try, today. Honestly, I think the Plus model will also do well. It isn't much smaller than the 24 Ultra (the thin clock line being the only difference in size), and has rounded corners. Was surprised that the 24's are quite a bit thinner in feel over the 23's. One thing I like about my s21 is that it's quite a bit thinner than the s22 and s23 base models and plus models are. It seems like they've gotten back to a thinner feel on the s24 base and plus models. Big win!

To be honest, I do feel the 24 Ultra's screen has lost a bit of pop and dimensionality compared to the 23 Ultra. The 24 isn't bad, but I didn't feel wow'd by it, either. Actually, I was surprised that the colors didn't really stand out like I remember the s23 Ultra doing in the stores. I might pick up a used 23 Ultra and save $500. Nice phones, but for the money, a used 23 someone is dumping for a 24 will be a bargain. I run the s21 and still don't see a need to upgrade. The base 24 and plus here are Exynos. I did feel some warmth on the base 24 model, but not the 24+
It's interesting that they gave you guys the Exynos versions and not the Snapdragon.. I would have thought their home market would have been treated a little better lol. Do you know when they are available over there

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
It's interesting that they gave you guys the Exynos versions and not the Snapdragon.. I would have thought their home market would have been treated a little better lol. Do you know when they are available over there
Samsung always treats Korea with higher prices. They know they have a captive audience, and they have power over the government to control competition. We pay more for products and often do not get better value versions of things. I can save money buying in the USA, when on vacation. They literally price everything in Korea at USA price plus shipping and import tax amounts so they can force you to pay more.

That said, I don't mind that it is Exynos. I have an Exynos s21 and it's great. The current Exynos used in the s24 is virtual parity with the Snapdragon in every metric used 99% of the time, anyway. The older Exynos just take a bit longer to optimize. We saw this with the s22, in tests after 6 months.

It's my opinion that Qualcomm has a room full of people crap-posting about Exynos. We should all be thrilled Exynos and Dimensity are around and nipping at Qualcomm 's heels. It means lower prices and higher performance.

I think the phones will be in our hands within the next 1 days to 2 weeks. I forget the date.

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung always treats Korea with higher prices. They know they have a captive audience, and they have power over the government to control competition. We pay more for products and often do not get better value versions of things. I can save money buying in the USA, when on vacation. They literally price everything in Korea at USA price plus shipping and import tax amounts so they can force you to pay more.

That said, I don't mind that it is Exynos. I have an Exynos s21 and it's great. The current Exynos used in the s24 is virtual parity with the Snapdragon in every metric used 99% of the time, anyway. The older Exynos just take a bit longer to optimize. We saw this with the s22, in tests after 6 months.

It's my opinion that Qualcomm has a room full of people crap-posting about Exynos. We should all be thrilled Exynos and Dimensity are around and nipping at Qualcomm 's heels. It means lower prices and higher performance.

I think the phones will be in our hands within the next 1 days to 2 weeks. I forget the date.
I definitely agree that the competition is a good thing, but I just can't trust Exynos.

My S21 Ultra was Exynos, and you are right that it worked very well. But the one in the S22 Ultra was a total mess. It's great if they got it running well after 6 months, but at the prices of these phones we should know that they will work perfectly on day1, not hope that they are finally good after 6 months of updates.

They will need 2 or 3 years of solid chips before they convince me to buy another Exynos.

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
I definitely agree that the competition is a good thing, but I just can't trust Exynos.

My S21 Ultra was Exynos, and you are right that it worked very well. But the one in the S22 Ultra was a total mess. It's great if they got it running well after 6 months, but at the prices of these phones we should know that they will work perfectly on day1, not hope that they are finally good after 6 months of updates.

They will need 2 or 3 years of solid chips before they convince me to buy another Exynos.
Have to mention that I really felt the display of the s24 Ultra was less satisfying than the s23. It is a bit larger, but whether it is a function of the less-reflective coating or the lack of the curved edge, the s24 screen seemed less amazing.

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
Another thing... Samsung has screwed with the nav bar settings in OneUI6.1 in a way that is really going to anger some people. They have removed the option to hide the nav bar and removed some of the options to use some of the old Samsung jestures like bottom left, middle, and bottom right swipe to activate what the nav bar used to do.