Thoughts after the Samsung S7 keynote?

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Overall I'm impressed. Kind of disappointed that the SD card won't take advantage of the stuff in marshmallow. Seems kind of pointless to bring it back.

Still undecided if I'm going edge or not. So who's preordering? Which s7 and which color will you get? Which carrier? You getting any of the new accessories they announced?

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: Thoughts after the keynote?

Overall I'm impressed. Kind of disappointed that the SD card won't take advantage of the stuff in marshmallow..
How won't it take the advantage? I'm assuming I can still transfer data from the phone to the SD and vice versa? Also I'm torn on the all black or silver on the S7 Edge.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

How won't it take the advantage? I'm assuming I can still transfer data from the phone to the SD and vice versa? Also I'm torn on the all black or silver on the S7 Edge.

It doesn't have marshmallow adaptive storage. You can still do as you said, it just won't be able to move apps as well. I know I want black or silver but I don't know which phone yet.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Very tempted!

Hugely impressed. I don't really see any weaknesses with these phones hardware-wise.

I was pretty convinced that I'd be getting an iPhone 5SE but now I'm not sure. The camera on the S7s sound freaking incredible and photography is what excites me most about smartphones these days.

I prefer smaller phones so very conflicted whether I'd want the more compact and cheaper S7 or S7 edge with that glorious 3600mAh battery.

Andrew Curnutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

Definitely preordering the S7 edge in Gold. I hope either Samsungs site will have unlocked versions for preorder or another site that will honor the preorder bonuses for USA residents.....so sad I have to wait till 23rd :(

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

... I hope either Samsungs site will have unlocked versions for preorder or another site that will honor the preorder bonuses for USA residents.....so sad I have to wait till 23rd :(
+1 hoping for unlocked version. No more carrier-locked phones for me.

Justin Alexanderr

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm pretty impressed, they did everything they could possibly do to improve the phone, I know everyone in the tech sphere is going on about how "Innovative" the G5 is just because of that slot, but I'm not buying it because as much as we like to deny it a removable battery is as niche as it comes at the moment, and the iPhone has always proved that unfortunately, but among the waterproofing, drastically improved camera and the return of the micro sd card slot this phone looks great, Both the S7 and G5 look like they will be leading the charge in the mobile phone arena this year.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Overall I'm impressed. Kind of disappointed that the SD card won't take advantage of the stuff in marshmallow. Seems kind of pointless to bring it back.

Still undecided if I'm going edge or not. So who's preordering? Which s7 and which color will you get? Which carrier? You getting any of the new accessories they announced?

The fact that they have brought back the SD card means that they will leep me as a customer. I went for a Note 4 which I am happy with but I did this as the s6 was lacking in this department. So Samsung have listened to their customers instead of trying to copy Apple. So I applaude them for learning from their mistakes.

I'll be having a gold s7 edge and be buying a 200gd micro Sd card for it.

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I think I'll be getting a black s7 edge. The phone looks gorgeous and isn't that much bigger than a s7 and has a bigger screen and battery.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I think the adaptive storage is dumb. If the sd card goes corrupt then you are screwed

Posted via the Android Central App

ChrisR

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

Don't care about no adaptive but glad there's SD. Love f1.7 camera and 12MP. Love bigger battery and always on display. Water and dust resistance interesting. Really thinking about pre-order.

ChrisR

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

Hoping to see Samsung honor it's commitment to security updates though. That's my only reservation. Wish I could consider Nexus, Priv or Robin but none of those do it for me in terms of camera/SD storage.

BubbaJon

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Don't care about no adaptive but glad there's SD. Love f1.7 camera and 12MP. Love bigger battery and always on display. Water and dust resistance interesting. Really thinking about pre-order.
Same here - I have a S5 Active and can't wait to trade it in on a S7 Edge in black.
I dunno about you guys but I was pretty stoked watching the graphics capabilities.
Did y'all catch the part where he said you could binge an entire season of Game of Thrones on a charge?
*that's* what I'm talking about - the power is no good if you flame out in an hour.

Ph1l711

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

It doesn't have marshmallow adaptive storage. You can still do as you said, it just won't be able to move apps as well. I know I want black or silver but I don't know which phone yet.

I would go with black. I have always had a black Samsung phone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

It looks decent. Larger battery is very welcome as that was one of the major issues I had with the S6. No USB C kinda sucks as a few of my devices at home have USB C ports now, so regressing back to USB 2 will mean an extra cord I'll have to have lying about. Otherwise overall the device looks very good. Interested to see how much they managed to improve the camera. F-stop 1.7 with 1.4 micron sensor and OIS should be pretty decent.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Very impressed.

They took whatever was wrong with the S6 and made them pretty much redundant because they really improved the heck out of it.

Significantly bigger battery, the return of the microSD expandable storage slot, 4GB of LPDDR4 (let's see if they tweaked their memory management to be somewhat better), extra functionality on the edge, a camera that makes a very worthy trade off from raw resolution for much better low-light photos while preserving a lot of detail, f/1.7 aperture + OIS + 1.4-micron pixels + dual-pixel AF and a whole lot more stuff.

While I do like the LG G5, I think they bolted on a lot of new stuff to stay different (which I like), but never found many of them beneficial to the core experience and functionality. The S7 kept the same design but improved on its flaws and as a result, made a better phone. While the G5 is the better geek gadget that's a crowd pleaser, the S7 is the better phone, and frankly, that's the important bit. At the end of the day, it's a phone and I think Samsung nailed that.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

It may not illicit the same level of enthusiasm that a device with a completely new design might, but what they've managed to do with this device is nothing short of extremely impressive. The Edge, which I'll be grabbing in silver, strikes me as the phone to beat in 2016. The camera, display, performance, and battery all may end up being class-leading. I love my Note 5 and have zero issues with it, but I'll be getting a slightly smaller device/screen with an extra 600 mah battery, SD card support, a more powerful/efficient CPU/GPU, an improved camera, IP68 water/dust resistance, and an always-on display. Of course we'll have to see how all that performs in real world usage, but I've got high hopes. Kudos to Samsung on raising the bar this year.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

With 32gb internal, I am on without adoptable storage. An sd card is perfect for media which is what I will use it for mainly