Thoughts: Volume- Not Working, Can't Boot Into Recovery

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what I was thinking ...

Background:
I had noticed that my volume(-) down function had not been working. For example, I could not do screenshots with volume(-) + power. I also could not lower the volume using the volume(-); I had to volume(+) and then slide the volume down on the screen

Well, when I was flashing a new ROM (backup, wiped cache; dalvik and format/system), I could not find the new ROM. I believe I mistakenly saved it in a sub-folder on the sd card. No Biggie; I said, I will find it, delete it, or move it. However, instead of re-flashing an old ROM, or restoring a Backup, I simply Rebooting the Phone.

Well now, when I attempt to Boot into Recovery (battery out / volume down+up / power) I simply get the Google Lock Screen no matter how long hold it. I also cannot access the phone using the USB.

Is there a solution?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
You need to get ADB working. You should be able to restore the device that way without having to touch the buttons.
There are some guides or you can try WUG's tool.
Check the stickies in either this thread of the Gnex thread, WUGs works for both.

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay ... I will give these a whirl ... thanks! ....

.... Hmmm .... still looking ... this will take some deep concentration ....

.... My DROID RAZR has finally paid off ... will be using the backup phone until I figure this out

Last edited:

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ... I have a MacBook Air ... so I am going to have to plan this out ... my challenge for the next 48 hours :) .... obvious, this is the key "You need to get ADB working" ... I have not found a way around this from everything I am reading ..

Last edited:

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
to start
Android SDK | Android Developers
and get the sdk for Mac installed
(i'm guessing here as i don't have a mac)
update the SDK and selected the tools which should include ADB and probably everything under utilities
hook up your phone via usb
then open a command prompt and get into the /platform-tools folder of wherever you installed the SDK
see if you can run 'adb devices' if your device is listed then it's found it and you should be able to follow a guide that walks you through pushing the stock images and re-locking the device.

hope that gets you bumped in the right direction and i'm sure someone with more experience doing this on a mac will chime in and set me straight if i'm not right.

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ... these instructions do "bump in the right direction" ... I am following you ... this thread is where I started before regarding the Mac and this video helped (in addition to the one in the thread)... simply need to re-read ... This helps a lot!

Okay ... this step has been completed:
"Android SDK | Android Developers
and get the sdk for Mac installed
(i'm guessing here as i don't have a mac)
update the SDK and selected the tools which should include ADB and probably everything under utilities"

Going to read up some more before going forward.

Seems that I have the same basic problem .. getting past the Google Lock Screen for the Computer to view the files on the Phone ... I will do some searched on bypassing the Lock Screen to Reboot in Recovery

Last edited:

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
After you get back in.. I like to use Quick Boot App.. with one button.. it allows you to reboot, boot into recovery or boot loader.. without using physical buttons..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
He's on a Mac...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks ... so here is what happened ...

Before I received your reply, I tried this [TOOL] Root / Unlock - Unroot / Lock [Mac] to Unroot the phone. The script was working until it attempted to access the phone through USB debugging which it could not, so the script ended in error ...

However ... the scripted ended with the phone in Fastboot mode and I could select Recovery to us CWM Recovery to restore the backup I had made just before my mistake.

Lessons ...

1) Watch what you doing (I did not copy the ROM to the appropriate place),
2) Think before you leap (I should have simply restored my backup when I could not find the ROM)
3) Be sure you made a backup (at least one common sense move) and
4) Visit the thread for help!

Thanks, Again.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks ... so here is what happened ...

Before I received your reply, I tried this [TOOL] Root / Unlock - Unroot / Lock [Mac] to Unroot the phone. The script was working until it attempted to access the phone through USB debugging which it could not, so the script ended in error ...

However ... the scripted ended with the phone in Fastboot mode and I could select Recovery to us CWM Recovery to restore the backup I had made just before my mistake.

Lessons ...

1) Watch what you doing (I did not copy the ROM to the appropriate place),
2) Think before you leap (I should have simply restored my backup when I could not find the ROM)
3) Be sure you made a backup (at least one common sense move) and
4) Visit the thread for help!

Thanks, Again.

Something else I'd do once you have the phone in working order, if you plan on keeping it with the vol - problem, is to get ADB fully hooked up and working. Just so you have that option next time.

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Good advice ... I do need to understand ADB alot better ... also, I could be flashing directly from CWM Recovery ...It could have helped searching for the ROM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thaillescz

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Im having the exact same problem here. Sprint galaxy nexus. im stuck in a bootloop and my volume down button doesnt work. im trying to use wug's tool kit to get into recovery but adb cant recognize my device becuase the phone isnt fully booting up. PLEASE Help Me. Any help would be highly appreciated thanks