Thunberbolt is global?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
We strolled in to a VZW store today and were told by the VZW sales rep that the Thunderbolt is going to be a global phone. Is this true? I have not found one source online yet that confirms this.

My family member wants a global device, but she does not like the feel of the Droid 2 Global. We're hoping the Thunderbolt is the answer.

Thank you.

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember where, but I thought I read that if you don't have a phone that works overseas you can go to a VZW store and they will loan you a global phone. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I don't recall the details, but I seem to remember reading that.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I can't remember where, but I thought I read that if you don't have a phone that works overseas you can go to a VZW store and they will loan you a global phone. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I don't recall the details, but I seem to remember reading that.

I've heard of this as well. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I know Verizon does something like this.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I've heard of this as well. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I know Verizon does something like this.

I did this two years ago when I went to Europe. There is a department that will lend you a phone (has to be returned within a month). Then you take it abroad, and are subject to international calling and data rates.

jas o

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I did this a few years ago too before I got my Storm that I keep in a box just for these trips.

At that time they rented you the phone that was from vodaphone and you got a Vodaphone phone number too. Rent & Roaming were very expensive, was cheaper to just buy a used world phone and you keep your own number. After that trip I found a storm on e-bay just for these trips. As soon as the droid 2 global get cheaper on e-bay I will switch. ( I travel there once or twice a year). Vzw has unlimited data for $60.00 a month( this can also be prorated if you only go for a week). This can be turned off and on as needed. Phone calls vary in cost depending on what country you are in, usually $1 or $2 per minute.

Hope this helps.

International Services

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
i thought a verizon SIM card was the only thing u needed to go global? the TB has a slot for one.....

Not exactly because not all SIM cards are alike

A global phone has an internal radio that can communicate across all the different international radio bands - the TB does not have this feature (in fact, most phones don't)

You are correct; there is a SIM card in the TB, but it is required for communication with LTE towers and will not enable you to communicate on global spectrums

Reactions: superskaterxes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohsin sadat