Thunderbolt in non-4G area

alear

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I currently live in a non-4G area. I'm interested in the Thunderbolt as an upgrade from my Incredible mostly for its larger screen, kickstand, etc.

Does anyone know if I need to subscribe to a 4G data plan for the thunderbolt or can I use it with the same 3G plan I use now?

Alex

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I currently live in a non-4G area. I'm interested in the Thunderbolt as an upgrade from my Incredible mostly for its larger screen, kickstand, etc.

Does anyone know if I need to subscribe to a 4G data plan for the thunderbolt or can I use it with the same 3G plan I use now?

Alex

You'll need to subscribe to a 4G data plan. Right now, it *looks* like the 4G plan won't differ any from the unlimited 3G plan in terms of pricing. Don't hold me to it, though.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
We don't even have a release date, let alone specific details like that...

From what I have heard, though, prices have not changed and it will be 30 a month for 3g and 4g together... for now anyway.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
For the VZW customers,

I hope VZW stays true to their word.

Unlike Sprint. They claimed up to the very end that 4G
wouldn't cost a penny more. In fact Sprint went on to say that
deploying 4G was actually cheaper than 3G.

Then boom Sprint comes up with a 10 dollar premium data charge
if you purchase an Evo 4G. Yes, even if you lived in a 3G only area
you will still be charged( Which I think is total BS!).

The 4G name itself is a marketing tool to command more dollars.

If not more dollars there will certainly be a catch. Maybe data limit?

But, hopefully, VZW will stick with what they are telling you all?

and there will be no additional charges?

Last edited:

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For the VZW customers,

I hope VZW stays true to their word.

Unlike Sprint. They claimed up to the very end that 4G
would cost a penny more. In fact Sprint went on to say that
deploying 4G was actually cheaper than 3G.

Then boom Sprint comes up with a 10 dollar premium data charge
if you purchase an Evo 4G. Yes, even if you lived in a 3G only area
you will still be charged( Which I think is total BS!).

The 4G name itself is a marketing tool to command more dollars.

If not more dollars there will certainly be a catch. Maybe data limit?

But, hopefully, VZW will stick with what they are telling you all?

and there will be no additional charges?

Well, I know for a fact I used double the data in 2 weeks with my Evo than I did in a month with my Hero...(Eris) That and with the 10 dollar charge we are guaranteed that out data won't get throttled back for heavy usage. Still cheaper than VZW, and I actually have 4G. My 3G speeds with the Evo are at least twice as fast as my Hero was.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I know for a fact I used double the data in 2 weeks with my Evo than I did in a month with my Hero...(Eris) That and with the 10 dollar charge we are guaranteed that out data won't get throttled back for heavy usage. Still cheaper than VZW, and I actually have 4G. My 3G speeds with the Evo are at least twice as fast as my Hero was.

Looks like there will be tiered pricing after all?

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Remember, it's actually cheaper for Verizon to offer 4g than 3g so it's still hard to say what they will do. But we'll know in a week... Hopefully, haha.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't buy a 4G phone if I lived in a non-4G area right now.

Better off going with Incredible 2 or DX2.

This is my dilemna. I'm not in a 4G area, and don't plan to be anytime this year according to Verizon. I've seen the DX2 and really don't care for that form factor, enough so that it's really a deal-breaker for me -- hate the hump! The Incredible 2, though, I'd consider. The last time I looked at the specs though, it was a little disappointing (will have to re-investigate). But, that's part of the problem, the better spec'd phones that are coming out are 4G phones. So, it's somewhat of a Catch 22.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
This is my dilemna. I'm not in a 4G area, and don't plan to be anytime this year according to Verizon. I've seen the DX2 and really don't care for that form factor, enough so that it's really a deal-breaker for me -- hate the hump! The Incredible 2, though, I'd consider. The last time I looked at the specs though, it was a little disappointing (will have to re-investigate). But, that's part of the problem, the better spec'd phones that are coming out are 4G phones. So, it's somewhat of a Catch 22.

Well, quite honestly, if they don't charge extra for LTE then I don't see a reason to skip out on the phone if you're willing to pay the premium for the phone's cost ($250-$299 is going to be a lot considering Inc2 and DX2 might be $199 or less).

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't buy a 4G phone if I lived in a non-4G area right now.

Better off going with Incredible 2 or DX2.

A lot depends on where you live.Do you think there's a chance you'll have LTE in another year? Remember the Thunderbolt is an LTE data compatible device. Voice is still CDMA-based. Without the LTE SIM card you could still use EVDO(or SVDO) data. If March 10 is really going to the Bolts' release date we should be hearing some LTE data plan facts very soon from Verizon. I'll be the first one to admit I'm making a hypothesis here and with all the Bolt Threads it's possible I've missed something.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, quite honestly, if they don't charge extra for LTE then I don't see a reason to skip out on the phone if you're willing to pay the premium for the phone's cost ($250-$299 is going to be a lot considering Inc2 and DX2 might be $199 or less).

And that presents another dilemna ... I hate the price that's been floating around. If the TBolt is $299 on a 2-yr, I'm out. I'm looking at a 1-yr anyway, and if the 2-yr is that much, no way I'd buy whether for 1 or 2-yr. If it's $249 (or $319 for 1-yr), then maybe. And if they go with how every other smartphone release has been (with the exception of the R2D2) at $199 (or $269), then I'm in.

Stein357

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm in a non 3G area, but with not knowing when the Incredible 2 is coming out, and wanting HTC hardware for the quality, I'm going with the Thunderbolt.