Tiered data concerns?

bvitale

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Everyone seen so concerned with the data. Why is this that much of a concern? Doesn't everyone have wifi just. About everywhere you go? Right now I have the storm 1 and with all the browsing video music and email I have only used .2 gigs of data. Are there really that many data hungry people? Do these phones really eat up that much? Just wondering as a tiered plan doesn't scare me.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea WIFI is pretty popular, but uh... my damn phone right now doesn't have WIFI which blows. With 4g/data you aren't limiting yourself to "you gotta be in the WIFIs to use yar data." So what if you're going on a cartrip for 12 hours and wanna do some surfing? Gonna wait til you hit that Starbucks or McD's to satisfy that data craving? Hell no.

shovelheadhd

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Blackberry's don't chew through much data at all. My wife was fine with the 150mb data plan b/c her blackberry only used about 40mbs a month. With my droid just with lite use no streaming video or music I usually use at least 1.5gb of data. Just surfing the web and download files and apps can use up data pretty quickly. Personally I feel like I wouldn't want to be limited to the amout of data I have to use and don't want to have to keep watching it to make sure I don't go over.

Electric Mayhem

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm worried and I'm not, idk the way I see it if these companies want to stay competitive they have to keep prices reasonable and big Red has spoiled a good number of customers on the current unlimited plan so I hope that when tiered pricing comes down the plans will be acceptable. Now myself personally I could easily fit into a 3-5 GB plan, maybe less to be completely honest so hopefully I still can stay in the $30 price range even if there is a 5 GB cap. I can understand why they are going to tied though, with mobile hotspot and tethering you could rack up some serious use, hell with the speeds I've seen posted the TB would give me speeds comparable to my current cable plan if not better and I don't think thats what Verizon wants us doing, at least not yet ;) hence the 4G cards on the market already. Feel free to call BS on this though as I have zero real world knowledge on this.

-Mayhem

deltwalrus

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
No wifi at work, none that's useful anyway. And what bothers me most is that this phone may get delayed past the grandfathering period, so unlimited may never be even an option. Carriers pay something like $3/GB to carry data on their infrastructure. They are GOUGING us on data prices, so there's that insult, too.

camoko

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Everyone seen so concerned with the data. Why is this that much of a concern? Doesn't everyone have wifi just. About everywhere you go? Right now I have the storm 1 and with all the browsing video music and email I have only used .2 gigs of data. Are there really that many data hungry people? Do these phones really eat up that much? Just wondering as a tiered plan doesn't scare me.

Storm 1 doesn't have WIFI...

canesfan44

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Storm 1 doesn't have WIFI...

yup, and I've hated every day of it (I've had it since it's release :(... and that was a premature release, so I'm not too mad that they haven't released the TB yet, just a little frustrated.).

Last edited:

bvitale

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yea I know I don't have wifi. My point was that I haven't come close to 1 gig without wifi. However I do have a better understanding of why its a concern now. But I don't think a 12 hour trip will cause average. Also don't forget that our unlimited is capped at 5gb. I guess I a. Fortunate enough to have wifi wherever I go. Work and home mostly where I'm at. So not real worried. Thanks for the insight though. God I can't wait to ditch this BlackBerry.