Time for a Sticky-Wiki on CWM?

Ytaay

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Fellas, I think it's time for what I like to call a "Sticky Wiki" regarding Clockwork Mod Recovery. I think it would be extremely helpful for all the newcomers that arrive almost daily, not to mention us flashers who've been around but haven't yet found all the tidbits of info scattered in various threads.

Adrynalyne, et al, have done and are doing their typical excellent work and there's been a lot of changes lately, which is awesome, but at the same time it makes it difficult to know what's what. Especially with the mystical and almighty CWM Recovery.

To wit: in regards to "recovery", ya got the stock blue, ya got the infamous koush green, ya got the "old" red for voodoo/lag-fix/ext4, ya got the "new" red, ya got the 3.0 version (which may or may not be the same as "new" red - i don't know), and NOW i see on posts there is an ORANGE version! :confused::p:p:p

Heck, for all I know there could be a purple one, a pink one, a sierra brown one and a periwinkle one out there that I don't even know about.

And not only are there a lot of versions out there to be aware of, there is also the functionality each one brings and doesn't bring and which one to use for what circumstance. :D

Put it this way: I THINK I'm using what was once known as "new" red but I'm not 100% sure. It's got the 2.5.1 version number on it but every version I've seen has that! :confused:

There is always that ebb and flow as things are being developed and then tested and then dev'd some more, etc. (thats the fun part:D), but at some point I think it helps to stop and summarize that knowledge to use as a base to go forward with.

So just a humble suggestion/plea to anybody who has the time and the knowledge: the creation of a Sticky-Wiki on the subject of Clockwork Mod Recovery would be super-uber-b1ch1n-getoutofmykitchen awesome and useful to our kickarse community. :cool:

Thanks for listening!

Bad Bimr

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Ferrari YELLOW one myself as it gotta be flawless :)

No, seriously the OP has a point. I am fairly new to the game and have so far been lucky enough to not have bricked my phone (using EB01/EB16 with the SC27 patch). I was using what I thought was the "new red" cwm and now realized there is a newer one that boots right to red. That's what I have now.

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Seconded... when Orange showed up I gave up. 2.5.1.x Red works fine so far but I feel like I missed something. Also an Orange and Black would be a good recovery for me, Alma Mater colors, GO CAMELS!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sheepdog Elite has a section on CWM in his thread titled "Beginning Rooters Read Me." I was going to check with him to see if he was going to update his thread to include the "new" red 2.5.1.x and orange 3.0. I told DroidXcon I would work on a thread covering all the different CWM's since I already did a how to thread on getting our phones to permanently boot to the "new" red cwm 2.5.1.x (Which by the way will not work on nonvoodoo phones until we get some custom kernels.) So I will check with Sheepy so as not to duplicate efforts or step on toes. If everyone is OK with it, and I have time, I will put together a thread this weekend covering all the different iterations of CWM.

cl36

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sheepdog Elite has a section on CWM in his thread titled "Beginning Rooters Read Me." I was going to check with him to see if he was going to update his thread to include the "new" red 2.5.1.x and orange 3.0. I told DroidXcon I would work on a thread covering all the different CWM's since I already did a how to thread on getting our phones to permanently boot to the "new" red cwm 2.5.1.x (Which by the way will not work on nonvoodoo phones until we get some custom kernels.) So I will check with Sheepy so as not to duplicate efforts or step on toes. If everyone is OK with it, and I have time, I will put together a thread this weekend covering all the different iterations of CWM.

i was a little unclear about the rainbow of CWM, but sheepdogs thread is pretty informative

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I like vermilion.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

C'mon Mike, how about a little fuchsia? Some magenta? Sheepdog Elite updated his Beginners Rooting Read Me thread and did one hell of a job laying out the differences among the different cwm's. I reached out to him before I started mine and decided if he was going to update his thread there was no need for me to duplicate his efforts. Plus his thread is now a sticky, so it is not going to get pushed back to page 8 by the TEN separate threads all asking about battery life like what happened before. I was already directing any new rooters to read his thread, now it will be easier to find. One hell of a job Sheepy.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
He did an excellent job, and I'll get Sheepdog's posts copied/rolled into the stickies. The most difficult part about stickies is maintenance, the second is keeping the number of them under control.

Edit: oops, I guess it's already stickied. I guess I need to get some sleep o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte