To Screen Protect, or to not Screen Protect...

witnercoat

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
...that's, well, my question...

Is the screen gorilla glass and does that really make a difference? Is it likely to scratch or shatter?

I don't like screen protectors, but I hate etched lines in the middle of my screen more.

Thanks!

-e

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Can't stand scratches on my screens, so I will be using a screen protector. I have the Seidio Ultimate Screen Guard which I plan to use. Used them on my last EVO and they work great. Even though its two years old it looks just like brand new. Is it overkill or even needed, who knows. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I will use HD Zagg for sure, I have a Zagg on OG Evo for last two years and has save me many times My OG Evo screen is scratch free.

sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk 2

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I decided to go with Seidio's HD and fingerprint minimizing guard. These things are great! I don't have to wipe my phone off after every swipe and these things are so custom fit, I can't even tell I have it on. I tried going without one on my photon, now it looks like I took a brillo pad to the screen. Gorilla glass or not, a screen guard is quickly and inexpensively replaced. That tiny annoying hairline scratch from a diamond ring digging in your pocket, not so much.

Sent from my wicked EVO ONE using Android Central Forums

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
yeah the zaggs do a great job of protecting the phone. i had the full coverage zagg on my hero before i got the evo lte and as much as the hero was a huge piece of junk when i got rid of it, the thing looked brand new after i took off the zaggs. only thing is you have to have serious patience when putting it on because it can be a pain. well worth it tho.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've used the SGP Steinheil ultra crystal version on my OG evo and they were great. I used 3 over 2 years and the only reason I had to replace them was once I got sand in my pocket and it scratched it up pretty good. The other time was when I tried to switch cases to a Seidio surface and it ruined the protector. One thing I really liked about them was that you hardly noticed fingerprints on the screen.

I don't have anything on the EVOLTE yet and I've noticed that it doesn't really have a fingerprint issue. I don't know if it is some coating on the Gorilla Glass or something else. I've certainly had my fingers all over the screen the past two days and only really cleaned it good once.

jasonmdarr

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
HD Zagg and looks amazing.

I have to agree. I was on the fence about getting a screen protector. I got the Zagg HD and I am pleased with my choice.... Now Im just trying to debate what sd card I should get. Will a class four suffice? Looking at class tens and Im wondering if there will even be a noticeable difference.

aztecgod106

May 11, 2012
Visit site
My phone is Naked....no screen protect here. I don't have it in pocket just a clip. My screen is very bright....i love my phone very much....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I swore by them on my old Palm Pre; but I never used one on my og EVO, or on my Epic Touch, and have never had a scratch.

I might give the new HD Zaggs a shot, but I'm not too worried about it. I never have anything in the same pocket as my phone, and always have a case on.

DubM

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a question for those of you with the Zagg HD. I had the HD installed as soon as I got the phone at Best Buy and after a day I notice if you look at it at an angle with the screen off there are scratches/markings on the screen protector from my fingernails. I thought this material was not supposed to be able to be scratched (as well as prevent scratches to the screen). If your fingernail touches it, it leaves an indent. It hasn't self healed at all either.

Also, I still see orange peel if you look at it with the screen off at an angle. I never saw the original Invisibleshield in person so I don't know how improved it is. But I can still notice the orange peel effect.

Can those of you with the Zagg HD, please let me know if you are experiencing the same thing and if it is normal. I want to know if I should go back to Best Buy to see if they can install another one for me. It is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Judacles

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a screen protector at first with my OG Evo... But I found I preferred my phone without one. I keep my phone in a pocket by itself, with no change or keys. Honestly, I find the touch screen easier to use without a protector. Everything is much smoother.

For a second there, I could have been talking about something COMPLETELY different. ;)

Sent from my EVO

krcm0209

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is very scratch resistant, so unless you have things that are as hard as glass or harder in your pocket, I wouldn't worry about it.

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Screen protectors aren't necessary espically with gorilla glass. I dropped my og EVO on the pavement and it rolled face down. No scratches or cracks. The rest of the phone was scratched up except the screen.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
My Motorola Photon has Gorilla Glass. My old one had scratches on the screen. My new one got a screen protector and case day one and it's perfect.

I will never "go naked" with a phone again. Too much risk and wear shows over time. I'd rather replace a case & screen protector than a phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys88