Toshiba Thrive Help

Richpanaccione

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android and Tablets. Just switched from WebOS and still trying to learn what I can and can't do with a tablet. I'm trying to find out if there is a way to use a external hard drive (1TB) with the Thrive. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Stock Android, will not mount an external HDD. Period. Sorry to say it, but it won't. And... as a sidenote, If anybody says "hey, I can see my PC's drive when I'm connected to a PC synch app"... please go away. It's not the same thing. We're talking about a common External HDD.

That said, I will continue.

First, the micro USB port is not designed to do it. I will guess by saying it doesn't have the power output to deal with it. EHDD's require about 5 volts continuous power output. HDDS require a lot of juice, and frankly, a phone doesn't have the muster to maintain this for an extended period of time, like an hour or two. Larger HDD's above say 250gb, require an external power source.

Secondly, Typical HDD's are formatted to NTFS file system, which stock Android doesn't recognize.

Thirdly, Stock Android doesn't know how to handle the bus system which is incorporated into EHDD's.

So with your Thrive, 3 strikes.

As with some tablets, they incorporate a full size USB which supplies power. Problem 1 solved. Note that your tablet/device will not power above 250gb drive without external power. Not happening baby.

Again, HC (honeycomb) doesn't know how to deal with it though. (I say Honeycomb, as if you run a different OS on a full sized tablet, somebody need to take it and whack you upside the head several times) But, It won't mount. Now things are interesting. If you root your Tablet, and install an app called Drive Mount, and possibly a custom Rom, your chances of using an NTFS external drive are greatly increased. Doesn't mean all EHDD's can be mounted, just increased chances..

With your device, I would say chances are "extremely" limited or non-feasible. I won't say it "can't be done", only that there are better options, like larger/multiple SD cards.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain Fluellen