Touchscreen frozen 30sec after display turns on from lock

Virexx

May 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi
So this is a Google Pixel 4a (not 5g) fresh out of the box, never been used before

When the phone is locked and I hit the on/off button the display will turn on, but the screen doesn't respond to touch at all for at least 30 seconds. If I then press the on/off button again the display will turn off, but won't turn back on again with subsequent presses, for the duration of the freeze.
If I press the on/off button and wait 30 seconds the touchscreen does work like normal, until the display turns off again. It makes no difference whether I turn off the display or whether the display times out. It also makes no difference whether I use the on/off button or the fingerprint sensor to turn the phone on, thereby bypassing the lock screen.

The only other thing that makes a difference is if I leave the phone with the display off for a long period of time. If I then turn on the display the touchscreen seems to work like normal, but goes back to freezing the instant the display turns off.

I've tried factory resetting (this happened during setup as well), I've got all Android updates, I've updated all pre-installed apps, I've tried with and without a SIM card.

Should I just RMA the phone, or does someone know of a fix for this issue?

Kind regards

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! @Morty2264 was recently telling me that she was having some freezing issues with her Pixel 5, along with abnormal battery drain. My wife's Pixel 5 just started having abnormal battery drain as well. I wonder if there might be some glitchy update to a Google system app (like Google Play Services or Chrome). I cleared the app cache/data for Chrome on my wife's phone, and that might have helped, so give that a try.

Virexx

May 17, 2022
Visit site
Turned the phone on today and tried setting it to safe mode, and it didn't help. Today when I started testing the touchscreen didn't work at all, no matter how long I waited. I noticed that the phone was getting quite hot though.

I then noticed that there was a point halfway up the phone, on the left edge of the screen, where pressing would result in flickering and the screen temporarily blacking out. Saw it happen once, pressed again to confirm, and then the display seemed to die completely. It did turn on again after a while however. Thanks a lot for your help, at this point I am going to just RMA the phone since it is fresh from the box and this is a lot of hassle, I just hope I can find a new 4a somewhere else now.

Unless you can spot something obvious in my description, but the heat and screen flickering when pressing to me suggests some hardware issues that would require voiding the warranty to fix.

Kind regards

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
From what you describe, it does sound more like a hardware issue. Were you able to test in Safe Mode, or does it happen too infrequently for that to be useful?

Virexx

May 17, 2022
Visit site
From what you describe, it does sound more like a hardware issue. Were you able to test in Safe Mode, or does it happen too infrequently for that to be useful?

As of today the touch functionality of the screen is completely dead. Display still turns on but I can't do anything at all on the phone. I did manage to use power+volume down keys to enter safe mode, and this produced no change at all

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As of today the touch functionality of the screen is completely dead. Display still turns on but I can't do anything at all on the phone. I did manage to use power+volume down keys to enter safe mode, and this produced no change at all
If you have warranty or insurance they will be the next step