touchscreen is going crazy.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
  1. when I slide to unlock it gets almost to the bottom then bounces back up.
  2. when I pull the notification bar down it acts as if I'm pinching the homescreen to edit homescreens.
  3. when typing with the keyboard sometimes the bottom row of keys will not work. sometimes types on its own.
  4. sometimes opens apps (even made a phone call) on it's own.
  5. screen freezes up and I have to lock/unlock to unfreeze.
  6. if I drag an app icon from the app drawer to place on the homescreen it spazzes out and floats over the bottom dock (with menu phone etc) with "not enough room" warning
  7. Sometimes it seems like if I hold it a certain way or slightly apply pressure to the edges of phone it will activate icons and buttons near the bottom 1/3 of the phone.
:confused:
It's getting to the point where it's unusable. I've hard reset twice, removed battery. At first I thought it was apps, hololauncher, swiftkey but it's completely stock now and still does it.
I just took it to Verizon store to ask about a warranty replacement but they said since a reset didnt fix it, It could be a non-covered hardware issue. A couple weeks ago I knocked it off the arm of a chair onto hardwood a few times. (slippery chair, clumsy me) but nothing more extreme than I've done to a phone in the past. I could have it sent in for a warranty, but what are the chances they will discover some physical damage causing this? The last item on my list above makes me apprehensive about getting the warranty replacement and getting stuck with a $300 charge.

My upgrade date is in a few days, so this whole thing may be moot but I'd like to have a working phone in the meantime as I likely wont be getting a new phone right away. (waiting for the GS4 release) This is also why I don't want to spent $100 on insurance deductible for what is essentially my "old" phone.

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just have the exact same problem. Ditching this POS soon...

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
it's been a great phone up till this. usually any issues were fixed with a warranty replacement, but this time, it's pretty obvious it's a hardware damage problem. I used a protective phone case for the first 22 months I've had this but when I left my job in a machine shop to work from home (ie; unemployment) I stopped using the case. of course in the last week I knocked my phone from the arm of a laZboy to a hardwood floor about 20 times. merp. I'd like to wait to see how prices change for the current VZW lineup when the S4 comes out but I dont think i can wait that long with a malfunctioning phone. free Razr M it is I guess.

ticktekk

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I would like to weigh in on this issue even though kirkiscool bit the bullet and went to moto (kinda like jumping from the frying pan into the fire imho) but that said, i also am having the exact same problems. However, I never had ANY issues with my Dinc2 until this last OS enhancement upgrade that was forced on me. Since then I have factory reset twice to try and solve these issues which all seem to be touch screen related. I have not dropped, kicked, smothered or titty twisted my phone in any way and I have begun to experience these things. Could it be that they are "connectivity" HAHAHAHA issues? No,really could they actually be Verizon messing with original HTC software to do their own carrier tweaking that's caused these problems from the very beginning. Have Incredible S owners had the same issues? I know HTC has seemed to let us down with the ICS update, but my phone has been rock solid for 2 years until now. My money is on Verizon for this, But they may not be getting any more of it when my contract expires in July.

chshrkt

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Ah geez, I thought it was just my phone...
I just started having these same issues as mentioned by the OP and others in this thread about 4 weeks ago.
As far as I know, Verizon does not create the OS updates, that they come from HTC and VZW just OTA's them to the hand sets. HTC wouldn't do this on purpose, would they?? Just to make us update our phones??

I know that while I love the SenseUI, I will be seriously thinking about the Samsung line... Or perhaps a phone I can root easily and run a stock Android ROM.

I just want a phone that is reliable and lets me run the apps that can get it as close to the usability of my old PalmOS phone, and my Dinc2 has just recently attained as close to that ideal as I can manage.

Plus, I want nothing to do with 4G. It is just a waste for me as it is not available in many of the areas I travel to anyway.

My contract was up in February, but if I change anything, I lose my grandfathered Unlimited Data plan.... :/

bobtins

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I got the exact same thing that you are describing--it's definitely hardware, and I'm getting my phone replaced under warranty.
When my phone gets into a fit, there is an area on the left side (when holding it in portrait mode) that acts like it's getting touched over and over. It'll dork up my browser and highlight words all over. On the home screen, it will launch apps without me touching it.
Oh, and with the keyboard in portrait, the "p" has stopped working.
I talked to VZW support and they were pretty reasonable...when I described that the behavior came from the same screen location and affected any screen I was in, they agreed with me that it was a hardware problem, so I'm getting my new one in the mail tomorrow.
FWIW, I made the phone calm down by pressing on the area that's acting up.
I'm pretty happy with the phone and don't have the $ to lay out on a shiny new toy...although if the One comes to Verizon I will seriously consider--that sucker looks sweeeeeet...
Good luck!

Derek West

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Glad I looked this up.

It isn't just verizon Galaxy S3's. I have one from Sprint, and this just started happening to me this morning. I am wondering what on Earth is going on? It would definitely appear to be a touch screen hardware thing. Maybe it has something to do with an OS upgrade, I didn't notice an OS upgrade any time recently though. I will have to investigate.

random miss awesome

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem my phone will do its own thing some times and when I try to text or use my key board the bottom would work and it will chose other key than the one I chose idk whats going on with it :-\

B R P

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi , This problem is being caused by some loose gap on the back of the screen, to solve this problem, you need to make sure the screen is well secured. To do so, just open the back cover and unscrew the battery cover, then stick some very thin foam over ( & around the edge of the motherboard ), make sure these are not covering the camera, volume button etc .. then screw back the cover gently. This should solve the problem!... if still not fixed fully stick some of the same thin foam under battery which isolates battery from screen and fixes the screen and problem should go away!