Touchwiz or Replacement?

papachange05

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
How many of you are going to stick with Touchwiz, and how many are going to install Nova or some other replacement launcher? I have never used Touchwiz, but it definitely looks bloated, even if this phone is powerful enough to run it smooth. Having come from Sense, I really just prefer replacing most stock features, since the third party developers typically make a better product. Thoughts?

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I think I will play with touchwiz for a little bit then maybe change later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

papachange05

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I was referring to non-root customization. Sorry about that. I like to customize as much as possible while keeping the os stock.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If I were so fortunate as to have an SIII...it would have Nova on it within moments after market restore :).

Biopsidy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The home screen doesn't bother me so much from what I've seen because overall it's not that big of a departure from ICS, but not having the ability to drag icons on top of each other to create a folder is a pretty dumb change in my opinion so that alone will make me likely switch to another launcher. I'm leaning towards Nova.

My biggest gripe with Touchwiz isn't the homescreen, but rather, the contacts, dialer and calendar. I think they are absolutely atrocious. I will likely use GoContacts to replace those and use a better skin.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've never used Touchwiz so I'll probably give it a chance. Bit I'll probably switch my launcher. That doesn't affect the cool stuff, right? Like the camera app and stuff...that would only be affected if I install a custom ROM?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The home screen doesn't bother me so much from what I've seen because overall it's not that big of a departure from ICS, but not having the ability to drag icons on top of each other to create a folder is a pretty dumb change in my opinion so that alone will make me likely switch to another launcher. I'm leaning towards Nova.

Not using the folder behavior that ICS has is ridiculous. Even Motorola realized that was just about perfect and left it alone in their ICS.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My need for anything specific in an interface is pretty minimal.

I will give touchwiz a go for a while and see how I like it, but I will likely install Go Launcher and set it up like my previous phone. If for no other reason than my wife (who will be getting my old phone) will know where stuff is.

-Suntan

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
My need for anything specific in an interface is pretty minimal.

I will give touchwiz a go for a while and see how I like it, but I will likely install Go Launcher and set it up like my previous phone. If for no other reason than my wife (who will be getting my old phone) will know where stuff is.

-Suntan

Give apex or nova launcher a try...you will not miss go launcher one bit. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
My biggest need in a launcher is one that rotates freely, even when running widgets. Now that I've just heard TouchWiz doesn't do that, I guarantee I will be using Apex or Nova. I'll try their free versions first to decide which one I buy.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

Doit2it

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'll probably use Apex launcher. I've used it on my Droid X running a few of the ICS ROMS and it's really nice. Can't stay with TouchWiz. I can't stand only having 4 rows of icons on a 4.8" screen. What a waste of space!

BCwrangler

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I was disappointed that TW was so thick on ICS that I went looking for a new launcher and ended up with Apex and what a pleasure it is, lots of customization options. I did Go launcher for the last 2 months on Gingerbread but I found it buggy. I recommend Apex too anyone running ICS.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I agree about the folders and hope it's fixed soon but let's not forget they way Samsung has it, is how its done on GB and all other builds prior to ICS. Still extra steps, less user friendly and for no benefit, but still the method used since the features first implementation to android.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I was disappointed that TW was so thick on ICS that I went looking for a new launcher and ended up with Apex and what a pleasure it is, lots of customization options. I did Go launcher for the last 2 months on Gingerbread but I found it buggy. I recommend Apex too anyone running ICS.

+1

Go and ADW and Launcher Pro are old news folks. On ICS Apex and Nova are where its at!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nasrulawal026