Transfer text messages from Note 5 to PC?

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I've got some really long batches of text messages on my Note 5. I'd like to transfer them to my PC, and then delete them from the Note.

Is there a way to do this?

TIA.

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Smart switch can do this.
Or you can use push bullet and copy and paste them over

From my AT&T Note 5 paired with my larger Asus Zenwatch 2

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
SMS Backup will back them up as SMS (.xml files). SMS to Text will output them as text files, which is probably what you want on a PC (unless you can read .xml files, which isn't really difficult).

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I tried SMS to Text, but it will only output to SD card, which the Note 5 doesn't have. Will the Pro version export to email in plain text?

I then tried SMS Backup (TACOTY), which backs up in .db format, which I can't open.

Smart Switch (Samsung Smart Switch Mobile) appears to only transfer messages from one phone to another. I need to transfer messages to my computer.

I know I didn't specify that I wanted the messages saved as text files in my original post. That given, what should I try next? I don't mind paying for the Pro version of SMS to Text, since it costs next to nothing, if that will do the job. But I definitely need text files. I don't care about emojis, etc., -- just need the words.

TIA.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
There is a "Save messages" option in the default Messages app. I have not tried it, but maybe the option will allow you to save all messages you want (can individually select them), and then once saved, copy from the Note 5 to a PC.

Update: Looks like this option saves SMS only, so may be limited compared to what you want to do. Once saved, the SMS message will go to the Messaging folder with a filename structured by year, month, day, hour, minute, and second(s). The file is saved in XML format. As Rukbat mentions above, reading XML is not difficult. XML files can be opened with Notepad, a browser, or a variety of other text editor apps.

mallomar

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
There is a "Save messages" option in the default Messages app. I have not tried it, but maybe the option will allow you to save all messages you want (can individually select them), and then once saved, copy from the Note 5 to a PC.

Update: Looks like this option saves SMS only, so may be limited compared to what you want to do. Once saved, the SMS message will go to the Messaging folder with a filename structured by year, month, day, hour, minute, and second(s). The file is saved in XML format. As Rukbat mentions above, reading XML is not difficult. XML files can be opened with Notepad, a browser, or a variety of other text editor apps.

Thanks for the info. I tried this, and it saved the file in .vzm format. I was able to transfer the file to my PC (via USB) and could open it in a couple of apps, but most of them were full of useless code. Word was the cleanest -- dozens of lines of identical code that shoulder be easy to remove with Find and Replace.

But I would still prefer to find a way to save messages as plain text, and ideally be able to email them from the phone to the PC. I can't be the only person who wants to do this!

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I tried this, and it saved the file in .vzm format. I was able to transfer the file to my PC (via USB) and could open it in a couple of apps, but most of them were full of useless code. Word was the cleanest -- dozens of lines of identical code that shoulder be easy to remove with Find and Replace.

But I would still prefer to find a way to save messages as plain text, and ideally be able to email them from the phone to the PC. I can't be the only person who wants to do this!

It sounds like you may be using Verizon Messages app? I say this per the .vzm format. If so, then you could install Verizon Messages app on your computer, and then you will have access to all of your SMS, MMS, etc.

umapathy sekar

Mar 19, 2017
Visit site
It is easy to Transfer texts from samsung phone to computer. This will make sure that your data does not get lost. Also, these tools does not do any harm to your device.

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigS26

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
This reads like it may work but I'm not technical enough to give it an official OK.
(ie) You can save your phone messages in a variety of file formats, including PDF, HTML or Text. Droid Transfer also saves any photos, emojis and videos in your messages, as well as dates and times they were received.

Demo Save onto PC showed as PDF and a Bar Code Scanner was used to Mate the PC App w/ phone companion app. That part I'm not sure has Plan B but smarter people will know.

https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/droidtransfer/