Transferring from my phone to Thunderbolt online?

jnguyen37

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I recently picked up a thunderbolt from a friend. I'm currently using an iphone but about to make the switch. I googled if I could switch my service online instead of going into the store and it says I can. My question is if I switch my number to the thunderbolt online, is that all I have to do? Is there any special thing you have to do to have 4G working beside filling out the transfer form online? It has the 4G sim card in the phone

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
so long as the phone has a clean esn and an active sim, then it should work online. during the online transfer process, you can also request a new sim if there is a problem with the old one, and they will mail you the sim for free two day.

jnguyen37

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. This is my first time using any phone beside the iphone since the original came out so I didn't know how other phone work. Especially one with 4G. I was actually shocked when I got this phone and saw a sim card. I thought it was similar to the sims in att but found out it was a 4G sim

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I recently picked up a thunderbolt from a friend. I'm currently using an iphone but about to make the switch. I googled if I could switch my service online instead of going into the store and it says I can. My question is if I switch my number to the thunderbolt online, is that all I have to do? Is there any special thing you have to do to have 4G working beside filling out the transfer form online? It has the 4G sim card in the phone
I just bought a used thunderbolt and had to go into a Verizon store to get it activated (at no charge) and my existing number on it. Apparently 4G phones are similar to all ATT phones where the SIM card is activated itself. I had asked previously whether I could get the card and do it myself but they said no. The store rep said all the activation data is actually on the SIM card now for 4G phones.

jnguyen37

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
just remember, no matter what any customer service rep tells you, DO NOT DIAL *228 to activate your phone. This does not work with 4G LTE phones.

What does dialing *228 do?

I just bought a used thunderbolt and had to go into a Verizon store to get it activated (at no charge) and my existing number on it. Apparently 4G phones are similar to all ATT phones where the SIM card is activated itself. I had asked previously whether I could get the card and do it myself but they said no. The store rep said all the activation data is actually on the SIM card now for 4G phones.

Oh so I actually have to go into the store? I was wondering cause I called a service rep and they told me to go online so I'm not charged 20 dollar for going into the store.

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Oh so I actually have to go into the store? I was wondering cause I called a service rep and they told me to go online so I'm not charged 20 dollar for going into the store.

If you go to a corporate store they will not charge you.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

*228 was the number to dial from your phone to activate it or update roaming capabilities... this doesn't work with the 4G phones because they use a SIM card.

...and yes you can activate the phone yourself.. no need to go to Verizon.
Here: To initiate 4G LTE service, call (877) 807-4646 from any phone and follow the prompts.
More info: 4G SIM Information

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
the sim is for the 4G and it goes with the phone number. You want to make sure you have the sim before you activate the phone. You can't activate it without it. You might have to get a new one as mentioned.

jnguyen37

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a sim but It came with the phone. Could I try to activate it to see if it works or would I have to get a new sim completely?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a sim but It came with the phone. Could I try to activate it to see if it works or would I have to get a new sim completely?

If its a new phone that you bought from Verizon... then yes you can activate it from the number I gave you a few posts back. If its a used phone that you bought from someone else... then no, you will need a new SIM card.

jnguyen37

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the quick replies! Looks like I might as well let Verizon activate it for me since I will be there to get a new sim card anyway.

jnguyen37

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone I got it running perfectly. You can activate 4g and your phone through the website now so no need to call any number from my experience.

Now I need to read on rooting. I just want to remove the bloatware and that's it. Only problem is a lot of thread has come up lately about bricks from update so I'm too scared unless I learn how to turn off.update from vzn

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
also whatever you do DO NOT activate the phone unless the sim is inside the phone. I had a friend try and she thought it was in the phone. She was too excited and didn't check the box. LOL:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stargazer