Turn off "show password"

Chriswaterguy

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
In Android 13 on Pixel 6, The last number inputted on the lock screen is clearly displayed.

And when I enter any password on an app or website, the last character I've inputted is displayed.

(This is terrible security. It makes it easier to be hacked by someone looking over your shoulder or through an app that has permission to view your screen.)

I found several guides online to fixing this, and they're all along the lines of:
settings > privacy > untick "show passwords"

But this option doesn't exist in my Pixel 6 settings. Help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On my Pixel 7 Pro, the last digit entered shows for about 2 seconds, then turns into a dot. Yours stays visible for much longer than that?

Reactions: mustang7757

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
In Android 13 on Pixel 6, The last number inputted on the lock screen is clearly displayed.

And when I enter any password on an app or website, the last character I've inputted is displayed.

(This is terrible security. It makes it easier to be hacked by someone looking over your shoulder or through an app that has permission to view your screen.)

I found several guides online to fixing this, and they're all along the lines of:
settings > privacy > untick "show passwords"

But this option doesn't exist in my Pixel 6 settings. Help?
I don't see "show passwords" anywhere in Android 13's settings.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
On my P7P and all previous Pixels (from what I can remember) have always been this way. As mentioned earlier the last digit / character is only visible for a few seconds. I don't think there is any way to change that. I understand your concerns about security, but I would not be overly concerned about this. If someone is watching over my shoulder while I am doing anything on my phone either me or them is leaving the area immediately before I use anything on my phone that requires a login.

Tritonemusic

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Before I tried this, ALL of the characters on my lock screen remained visible for about one second after entering them (not just the last one). Then, they'd turn into a "dot." After enabling "Enhanced PIN privacy" (pictured below), none of the characters show on screen after entering. Hopefully, this might help you (at least, for the lock screen).

Screenshot_20230902-120657.png

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I believe on Android 14 when you input your pin it makes different shapes as you input it. Rather than showing the numbers. Can't replicate it right now as my phone is unlocked at home with smart unlock. But I am pretty sure that is the case. Android 14 is being released soon, so hopefully that issue may change with the update.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I believe on Android 14 when you input your pin it makes different shapes as you input it. Rather than showing the numbers. Can't replicate it right now as my phone is unlocked at home with smart unlock. But I am pretty sure that is the case. Android 14 is being released soon, so hopefully that issue may change with the update.
Confirmed that is indeed working on 14.. can't see the numbers while you're inputting the pin code

Chriswaterguy

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. "Turn off pop up on keypress" works, and I've also turned off "pop up on keypress" in Gboard.
I can't fix the visible character outside of the lock screen, though.

Chriswaterguy

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
On my Pixel 7 Pro, the last digit entered shows for about 2 seconds, then turns into a dot. Yours stays visible for much longer than that?
That is the same behaviour that I observe. It mightn't be an enormous security hole, but it's still a security hole. It makes the characters more easily accessible to malware, as well as direct observation.

I'm unlikely to be a target of sophisticated hacking attempts, though I still prefer security. At least I've turned it off for the lock screen now.

I have friends who work or have worked with classified government material that would be of interest to certain foreign governments, and who use Android phones. Including security vulnerabilities by design line this just seems unwise.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That is the same behaviour that I observe. It mightn't be an enormous security hole, but it's still a security hole. It makes the characters more easily accessible to malware, as well as direct observation.

I'm unlikely to be a target of sophisticated hacking attempts, though I still prefer security. At least I've turned it off for the lock screen now.

I have friends who work or have worked with classified government material that would be of interest to certain foreign governments, and who use Android phones. Including security vulnerabilities by design line this just seems unwise.
Ok -- from what others have noted, it sounds like this will go away in Android 14, so maybe Google listened to somebody about it!:)

Reactions: J Dubbs