Two months in: G7 review

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I've had my G7 ThinQ for almost two months now, and I've noticed a couple of things that irritate me and a lot that makes me happy. So here is my review for probably one of the best underrated smartphones of this year.

Overall its still snappy and fast. I have it on a restart schedule once a week to restart at around 3am. It keeps the device running smoothly and I notice it. The battery life has generally been my #1 complaint. I average only about 3.5 hours of SoT. Most of this poor performance is mainly a result of my job, as I work exclusively outside. If I am careful, I can eke out almost 4 hours of SoT, but its usually closer to 3.

Camera has been good overall, no issues and I'm a huge fan of LG's wide angle mode. I think Samsung cameras are subpar when trying to take a pitcure of something in the heat of the moment. The G7 has not really given me any issues in this regard.

I have had issues with connectivity however, although I am not sure if this is T Mobile, or the phone. I get slow data speeds at times and other times I can't even get signal. For a phone capable of handling even the 600Mhz spectrum on T Mobile's network I thought this phone would be a bit better. Its not bad, but its not great either.

Gaming and using the phone for entertainment and streaming when I DO have signal (which is 90% of the time or more) is a breeze. This phone handles graphically intense games like a champion. No complaints at all in this area.

Overall the G7 is a reliable phone that does the job well. I have no regrets and even though I am a phone hopper who usually has a new phone every couple of months, I have no desire as of yet to get rid of or sell my G7. I plan on using this phone for the foreseeable future.

What about you guys? How is your G7 holding up?

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Screenshot_2018-08-19-03-19-59.jpg

That's how it's been going for me. Great phone. No real complaints aside from things I grew accustomed to on the Pixel 2 XL that I wish were on the G7, like volume buttons being for media and not ringer.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had my G7 ThinQ for almost two months now, and I've noticed a couple of things that irritate me and a lot that makes me happy. So here is my review for probably one of the best underrated smartphones of this year.

Overall its still snappy and fast. I have it on a restart schedule once a week to restart at around 3am. It keeps the device running smoothly and I notice it. The battery life has generally been my #1 complaint. I average only about 3.5 hours of SoT. Most of this poor performance is mainly a result of my job, as I work exclusively outside. If I am careful, I can eke out almost 4 hours of SoT, but its usually closer to 3.

Camera has been good overall, no issues and I'm a huge fan of LG's wide angle mode. I think Samsung cameras are subpar when trying to take a pitcure of something in the heat of the moment. The G7 has not really given me any issues in this regard.

I have had issues with connectivity however, although I am not sure if this is T Mobile, or the phone. I get slow data speeds at times and other times I can't even get signal. For a phone capable of handling even the 600Mhz spectrum on T Mobile's network I thought this phone would be a bit better. Its not bad, but its not great either.

Gaming and using the phone for entertainment and streaming when I DO have signal (which is 90% of the time or more) is a breeze. This phone handles graphically intense games like a champion. No complaints at all in this area.

Overall the G7 is a reliable phone that does the job well. I have no regrets and even though I am a phone hopper who usually has a new phone every couple of months, I have no desire as of yet to get rid of or sell my G7. I plan on using this phone for the foreseeable future.

What about you guys? How is your G7 holding up?

Thanks for the review. Yes I have read that is the one downside of the G7 that the battery could be better. Users who came from the LG V30 reported this too. I have the HTC 10 which is a pretty unexciting phone but is reliable battery life wise. 2 years in and I still get 4/5 hours SOT time. Users of the V30 also seem to be proud of their battery life. I think for this reason I will hold out for the LG V40.

Also how about dropping mobile to 4g instead of LTE? I don't have the LG 7 but I know for sure on my HTC 10 that when I dropped it to 4G that I decrease in download speeds was negligible in most situations but mobile signal went from 1 bar to full bars. Obviously it depends on your network but generally you will get a better stronger signal with 4g over LTE therefore extending the performance of battery.

Falkentyne07

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
4G and LTE are technically indeed the same, although there is confusion regarding 4G and 4G+.
The way to deal with T-mobile's lag problems is to change bands. You should be able to change between band 2, 4 and 12. Find whichever one gives you the best performance.

When changing bands, make sure you change network mode option back to 'Automatic' or phone calls will not work.

You can do all of this in the service menu.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so glad you approve of its performance in the entertainment/audio-video department. My fiancé just picked up the G7 today, and is liking it so far! It feels great in the hand - I can actually hold it easily, even though my hands are small - and I really like the display. Plus it has double tap to wake, which I loved on my G3. I'm impressed by it thus far!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa