Ugh!! Looks like my screen died on my N20U. Suggestions?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So... I'm out of town for the weekend and I put my N20U on the charger and when I unplug it I believe the screen blipped and went black. I think I got one more blip out of the screen by pressing the power button a couple of times when the screen tap was unresponsive and has stayed black since.

I thought holding down power would force shutdown and hoped maybe a force shutdown and reboot would maybe get lucky... but I guess holding down the power button on the N20U doesn't doesn't force a shutdown like most devices. Because I can still plug the charge cable and get the sound it makes when it's charging. Also I can take the S-Pen out of the silo and it will make the swish sound when you take it out and the sound when you put it back in.

So just checking if anyone knows of any key combo like a volume up+power or something to force a shutdown? I'm still hoping if I can force a shutdown I can maybe get lucky with a reboot if the screen really isn't dead since I did get the screen to display if even for a second and it's some system issue. If not I guess I'll have to just wait for the battery to drain out or take it to ubreakifix to take a look and toss good money for a possible screen replacement if it is a bad screen.

Ugh! Just a month before S22Ultra announcement too!!

I was toying with the idea of selling my N20U at Swappa for around $500-600 and I can get a S22U through my company's corporate account for around $700-800 only costing me $200-300 out of pocket. But this possible dead screen puts a monkey wrench in that if I need to pay for a screen replacement and honestly this is kinda pissing me off where I am not sure if I wanna go S22U now.

The only thing that is important to me is all the pics I've taken since I got my N20U and would be pretty upset if I couldn't recover them. But the one great thing about the N20U... microSD card!!... and that I set all my photos to be saved to the card so I they should all be there when I plug them into my PC when I get home... so that's why I am contemplating not bothering with paying a screen replacement. I was thinking I didn't really care the S22U may not have an SDcard slot anymore... but now I am rethinking that.

Luckily, I packed my iPhone XR with me on my trip that I use as a running phone so I can pop my sim in there.

I think it's a dead screen but figured I'd ask if anyone had any suggestions or know of any key press combo I can do to force a shutdown to make sure not some system freeze/glitch since I can't seem to power it down. Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So , take 2 fingers one on your volume up and other on volume down then with other hand power button and hold same time for like 5 seconds

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Felt haptic feedback so it either shutdown or rebooted. Tried a few times and no change. Thanks again.

So , take 2 fingers one on your volume up and other on volume down then with other hand power button and hold same time for like 5 seconds

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You can try to connect it to another screen via HDMI in DEX mode to see if the device still works.

Hmm… I bought a MacBook Air with me so I guess I can do connect through usb… but YouTube video says I have to press Accept on the phone so doesn’t sound like it will get me far.

I just installed Dex on my Air and it chimed when I connected but as I suspected it’s stuck on the connect prompt.

The device I suspect still works cause I van pull out the pen and it makes the swish sound and suspect it brings out the notepad.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Can you get in download mode connect to a computer and try those sequence again

Download mode?? I pulled up the Dex app on the Air, plugged in the Note and did thee sequence again if thats what you meant and nothing changed.

I just came back from ibreakufix since I actually had one less than a mile where I am staying and they open at 10am... They didn't have any spare screens but if they did he said $300 which I already knew.

He didn't plug it in or do any test but when I told him how I was charging and took it off and the screen blipped a couple of times before it died for good he said if he had to guess that the screen is dead and when unplugged from usb electricity arc'ed and took out the display.

He said that's the first he's heard happening off the charger but he said there have been reported instanes of an issue of Note screens dying. He says he's heard it happen more with S21U screens but I dont know hang around the S21 section enough to know if any posts... take it for what its worth coming from a store but he seemed like he was the owner.

Anyways, any suggestions I'll try but in mean time popped my chip in my XR and gonna get through the weekend with it. When I get back to Ft. Laud, I'll check the shops there to see if they have any screens in stock and weigh my options.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Download mode?? I pulled up the Dex app on the Air, plugged in the Note and did thee sequence again if thats what you meant and nothing changed.

I just came back from ibreakufix since I actually had one less than a mile where I am staying and they open at 10am... They didn't have any spare screens but if they did he said $300 which I already knew.

He didn't plug it in or do any test but when I told him how I was charging and took it off and the screen blipped a couple of times before it died for good he said if he had to guess that the screen is dead and when unplugged from usb electricity arc'ed and took out the display.

He said that's the first he's heard happening off the charger but he said there have been reported instanes of an issue of Note screens dying. He says he's heard it happen more with S21U screens but I dont know hang around the S21 section enough to know if any posts... take it for what its worth coming from a store but he seemed like he was the owner.

Anyways, any suggestions I'll try but in mean time popped my chip in my XR and gonna get through the weekend with it. When I get back to Ft. Laud, I'll check the shops there to see if they have any screens in stock and weigh my options.
Yeah I want see with that sequence with it plugged does it go to download mode?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I want see with that sequence with it plugged does it go to download mode?

No it didn't. Just at the screen waiting to connect and suspect I need to accept some prompt on the phone screen. When I get back home I can try it on my Lenovo T480S on Wiindows. I thought it would at least pop up a prompt to access as a drive but it didn't But I'm still new with Macs so I'll play with it more on Windows when I get a chance.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No it didn't. Just at the screen waiting to connect and suspect I need to accept some prompt on the phone screen. When I get back home I can try it on my Lenovo T480S on Wiindows. I thought it would at least pop up a prompt to access as a drive but it didn't But I'm still new with Macs so I'll play with it more on Windows when I get a chance.
Sounds like screen needs to be replaced , no insurance?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like screen needs to be replaced , no insurance?

No. I preordered from AT&T… $1000 credit. So looking at it that way it only cost me $300 but it’s been over a year. And now I remember my Note 8 after three years the same month of the credit deal, my WIFI started failing (so 2 for 2 on failing Samsungs I’ve owned) so I got lucky being able to use it as a trade in. I was thinking about calling AT&T when I get back if any options like getting insurance after the fact but I doubt it.

I’m thinking worst case I fix it, sell it through Swappa and still be ahead a little and use it toward another phone using corp discount.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No. I preordered from AT&T… $1000 credit. So looking at it that way it only cost me $300 but it’s been over a year. And now I remember my Note 8 after three years the same month of the credit deal, my WIFI started failing (so 2 for 2 on failing Samsungs I’ve owned) so I got lucky being able to use it as a trade in. I was thinking about calling AT&T when I get back if any options like getting insurance after the fact but I doubt it.

I’m thinking worst case I fix it, sell it through Swappa and still be ahead a little and use it toward another phone using corp discount.
I dont have insurance on my devices so if i had to pay out the pocket i do same as you

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
yeah since iPhone 1, I’ve never dropped or broken and phone and all my phones from many iPhones Nexus, LGs… never failed even after moving on to next phone so insurance never a need. 2 out of 2 for me and Samsung is not good.

I dont have insurance on my devices so if i had to pay out the pocket i do same as you

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
yeah since iPhone 1, I’ve never dropped or broken and phone and all my phones from many iPhones Nexus, LGs… never failed even after moving on to next phone so insurance never a need. 2 out of 2 for me and Samsung is not good.
Yeah a bummer :(

jagrlover

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm… I bought a MacBook Air with me so I guess I can do connect through usb… but YouTube video says I have to press Accept on the phone so doesn’t sound like it will get me far.

I just installed Dex on my Air and it chimed when I connected but as I suspected it’s stuck on the connect prompt.

The device I suspect still works cause I van pull out the pen and it makes the swish sound and suspect it brings out the notepad.

Try connecting it to a monitor if you have one lying around, or to your TV via HDMI.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Try connecting it to a monitor if you have one lying around, or to your TV via HDMI.

I don't have a USB to HDMI cable available period got back into town and Monday morning I just dropped it off at the uBreakiFix near my work to just bite the bullet and get the screen replaced. Just picked it up. $350. We'll take it home and make sure everything looks good before I run the AT&T software update that has popped up on my screen when I picked it up and maybe wipe my phone since I have new components.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar experience on a former phone only to discover that somehow the screen brightness had gotten turned all the way down. Could just barely see the screen at night in a dark room and adjusted the brightness. Then I took care to remove the setting for the brightness slider to show when opening the notifications so I couldn't easily do that again!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Glad everything good now , did they put a new battery? I know they sometimes do that .

Honestly I am just assuming they included a new battery because I've always heard the ubreakifix display repair always included it. For that price they better of lol. But I do know from the first shop that its an entire assembly including top and bottom sides thats why they need to get the part corresponding to body color and I notice on the top and bottom of my phone it has fresh clear film like the ones that came with my phone when new.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stark