Universal remote control vs Getting a phone with IR Blaster

skstrials

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
So I am looking to buy a remote control for my Samsung TV. Could it make more sense to just get a recent android phone with an IR blaster? Or should I just get a remote control?

I looked at some remote controls from Logitec; and it can cost as much as a used phone.

I already have a decent phone I use now, so the second android phone would be just for the remote control function. What would you do?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You could go the hybrid route and get the Harmony Hub and use the app on your existing phone to control your system. I have the Harmony Ultimate remote which includes the Hub. I can actually use the Harmony app on my phone to control my media system from anywhere I want..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I looked at some remote controls from Logitec; and it can cost as much as a used phone.

I can find universals at Wal-Mart for less than $10. Yeah, some fancy universals can be expensive, but I guess you need to ask yourself if you really need something that advanced. I doubt it.

Fyi, much as I love the V20 phone, I'd be hesitant to consider it for the IR Blaster. It use to work great, but after one of the OS updates it stopped remembering my t.v. and I'd have to start from scratch any time I wanted to use it.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hardly seems like IR blaster is even a factor anymore. I love mine though on the LGV10. Use it all the time, but there are so few phones left offering this feature that IMHO its not really a factor.