Unknown icon

Youngus42

Nov 14, 2022
Visit site
In between the battery and reception icons on my bison pro phone there is a icon which has a pulse wave with a diagonal line through it. Since this icon had appeared the camera won't work saying that it can't connect. Any ideas

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

We'll need more information to offer you the best advice.

When you pull down your notification shade, are you seeing anything that might align with the app represented by that symbol? Have you tried tapping that notification?

When you say a pulse wave do you mean a wave symbol that looks like a EEG resembling a heartbeat or a wave like a sign function? If the former than a guess would be that it is related to a health app, do you have a smartwatch of any kind or have you recently enabled an app using the "body sensor" permission?

What is the exact alarm, including codes if present, when the camera is attempted to be opened?

Is there ever a time when the symbol is not in your notification bar? Right after a restart, later in the evening or early in the day?

What happens if you restart your phone, are you able to use the camera then?

Is there a green dot in the notifications bar anywhere? On the latest version of Android I believe this dot means that the camera and/or microphone are active, as a warning that the device is recording.

In the meantime with limited information the best I can offer would be to take camera permission away from all apps. It sounds like an app is using the camera and preventing it from being available when you are wanting to take regular photos. By taking camera permission away from all apps the offending app cannot stop other apps from using the sensor. This isn't a permanent change. Apps who this permission has been taken away from will simply ask for the permission the next time the app runs or needs this permission like they did the first time they were used or installed. Open Settings and using the search bar type "permission" and look for Permission Manager in the resulting list. Go to Camera and remove all apps that you find there. Note there may be some apps that refuse to allow you to take permission away. These are typically system apps and should not affect things like this so if you are unable to remove permission it is ok but try to remove it from every one that you can. Then obviously test to see if function has returned.

Let us know what you find. To receive notifications when others reply to your thread and to leave comments of your own please take a minute to create an account. It will help you communicate and get help. This link will guide you through how to do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you still able to receive and send texts and calls? Are there any other apps that aren't working as they should? Does this happen in Safe Mode?

Please create an account with us here at Android Central, like the user above me stated, so you can post a screenshot of what you're seeing!

Youngus42

Nov 14, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for you help. Have tried in safe mode and camera still can't connect. Have tried removing permissions. Error message from camera says "can't connect to camera please make sure you too close other apps that might sure the camera or flashlight". https://ibb.co/bJHp0kY image of strange icon. Thanks for any help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for you help. Have tried in safe mode and camera still can't connect. Have tried removing permissions. Error message from camera says "can't connect to camera please make sure you too close other apps that might sure the camera or flashlight". https://ibb.co/bJHp0kY image of strange icon. Thanks for any help.
Welcome to AC!
You check your notification pull down panel?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

It seems like it could be a noise cancellation setting. Go through your system settings (or any included system apps) and see if something like that is turned on.

See some examples of noise cancellation/reduction icons in this search: https://www.google.com/search?q=and...biw=1500&bih=897&dpr=1.6#imgrc=DCr6qL9LA85LBM

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

It seems like it could be a noise cancellation setting. Go through your system settings (or any included system apps) and see if something like that is turned on.

See some examples of noise cancellation/reduction icons in this search: https://www.google.com/search?q=and...biw=1500&bih=897&dpr=1.6#imgrc=DCr6qL9LA85LBM
B they enabled quick tiles in developer settings, I reread the beginning and OP mentioned camera doesn't work this is why Screenshot_20221114_202812_Settings.jpg

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Youngus42

Nov 14, 2022
Visit site
Thanks everybody. That was the problem sensors off. Everything working again. You would think that icon would be found somewhere on the internet. But I could find it. Appreciate the help. Cheers

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Developer Options can cause problems for the uninitiated, and I've actually encountered problems on some older devices just having Developer Options enabled in my settings, with nothing actually turned on in it. I had to turn it back off to fix the issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12