Unlmtd Users: Continue on Month-2-Month vs New 2 Year Agreement

Unlmtd data: Month-2-Month vs New 2 year (Lock-in)

• Total voters
Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Unlimited Data users, What are you doing and why?

Option A: Continue on Month-2-Month paying full retail for SGS3 or some other future smartphone. THIS ALLOWS YOU TO KEEP UNLIMITED per verizon reps.

Option B: Safe route. Use you last good upgrade and lock-in your unlimited.

*OPTION C: Share Everything. Advisable for some. With 5 smartphones 8GB shared I save $80 per month(nationwide 1400 mins). Not advisable for individuals.

*Option D(not an option on og poll. Dont know how to add to poll.): Change carriers. AT&T Data speeds are known to be faster on 3g. Not sure about LTE. Cheaper plans.

*Thanks for the heads up to edit.

Newb, Is it advisable to remain on month to month or lock-in my unlimited data? Why is the 2 year agreement necessary to save my unlimited? When remaining on month-2-month plan is just as good. Help me understand.

Should I add other poll options?

Last edited:

FishMeetFish

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Unlmtd Users: Continue on Month-2-Month vs New 2 Year Agreeme

I pre-ordered to lock in my unlimited for 2 years. I don't like the new shared everything plan, so I plan to jump ship after my 2 year contract expires.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I made up my mind awhile ago that I am not renewing my contract anymore. This was before they announced the new plan. My 4 lines expire in Feb so I'll be free to leave at anytime. And I only anticipate buying maybe 2 phones before my contract expires..... This and maybe iPhone 5 depending on the new hardware. But I don't want anymore strings with these carriers. Staying full retail for the foreseeable future.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I mistakenly thought VZW did away with the early upgrades when they got rid of 'new every 2' discounts, so I thought I couldn't upgrade until August when my 2-year contract is up from my DX. On a whim I checked my account last week and saw that I had actually been eligible to upgrade since April or May. I'm glad I didn't know that then or I probably would've upgraded with a Maxx or something when the rumblings about the new data plans first started. So once I realized this last week I jumped at the chance to get an upgrade discount on a great phone, plus the benefit of moving up to 4G. At this point I feel like I'm locking VZW into a 2-yr deal for my unlimited, not the other way around. Once my 2-years is up, I'll just go month-to-month as long as my SGIII still works well. If their plans still suck I will probably switch carriers then.

zack7687

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

Hopefully ATT steps up their 4g coverage and coverage overall in the next 2 years. That will make it easy to jump ship.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Option A: Continue on Month-2-Month paying full retail for a future phone. It's something I've done for a while now anyway as I don't like being locked into a contract or playing the waiting to upgrade game. Paying a little more for a phone upfront is worth it to me as it keeps the ball more in my court than the carrier's (more control over my options).

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading to take advantage of the lower price point. Not that I wouldn't pay full price, of I had to, but for me verizon is also the best option as everyone (literally) in my family has verizon and that is a benefit too great for me to change carriers. This will probably be my last upgrade for a while with the new share everything plans coming out and wanted the best phone I could find to be as "future proof" as possible.

Also to go from 3g to 4g will be great! I can't wait to take advantage of the faster speeds.

Right now it just makes sense to take advantage of the lower price as the savings over two years is more for my line than paying full price. (I'm the second line on the account)

Sent from my DROID Incredible using Android Central Forums

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

I stuck with unlimited and used my last upgrade. Why not? I'm not switching carriers any time soon. If there is some snafu with this unlimited data I will though, and in that case would go grab a Nexus and get on T-Mobile pre-paid. ATT might be fast, but I am not switching to pay more, and with their tiered data (and probably soon to arrive plans similar to the new VZW plan), I would be.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I did option B and used my last upgrade as well.
Might as well since that was gunno be last,hopefully nothing changes for 2 years and if it does I can squeak by(with data) and remain pretty much the same price I am paying now .

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll be sticking with Verizon simply, because their LTE is by far the best and most available. Unlimited is not a big deal, because I'm smart enough to use wifi and monitor what I'm doing. It's not worth losing good service, best phones in the market and a company that's committed to 4G over an unlimited plan. All companies will do this regardless. Plus the new plans will actually save me money.

solido888

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site

Your 3rd option in your poll is different than the 3rd option in the OP, just saying. Both are valid options, so probably should actually be 4 options.

For me, the obvious answer is new 2 year contract. Why change what I was planning on doing anyways? If this option had already been taken away from me, then I would probably be looking pretty hard at Sprint, or possibly at craigslist/ebay to buy a phone outright.

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

Back in February I bought off ebay a brand new LG Spectrum so as not to use the upgrade from my AMOLED DROID Incredible. I figured I'd use the Spectrum for at least a year before using my upgrade on a phone with an S4 Pro chipset.

Then Verizon announced their new plans. I jumped on a 32 GB pebble blue Galaxy S III just to make sure I could lock in unlimited data. I'll sell my Spectrum for as much as I can, but if it's "not enough," I'll hang onto it.

Depending on what's available on other carriers two years from now, I might jump ship. But until I'm sure, I hope to have a hell of a time playing with my new gadget.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

Your 3rd option in your poll is different than the 3rd option in the OP, just saying. Both are valid options, so probably should actually be 4 options.

For me, the obvious answer is new 2 year contract. Why change what I was planning on doing anyways? If this option had already been taken away from me, then I would probably be looking pretty hard at Sprint, or possibly at craigslist/ebay to buy a phone outright.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thank you for voting in the poll.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Question - The idea of no contract by paying full retail makes sense until I think that you could just get the phone for $200-$250 and then buy out the contract at any time with a $350 ETF? Am I missing something? Seems like it could be cheaper too (how much is a S3 retail?). Just a thought, I might be missing something major.

I pre-ordered, so will be on a new 2 year. Figure If I want something new I'll just go full retail then. I don't see much difference except that I'm spending less now. What am I missing?

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

Question - The idea of no contract by paying full retail makes sense until I think that you could just get the phone for $200-$250 and then buy out the contract at any time with a $350 ETF? Am I missing something? Seems like it could be cheaper too (how much is a S3 retail?). Just a thought, I might be missing something major.

I pre-ordered, so will be on a new 2 year. Figure If I want something new I'll just go full retail then. I don't see much difference except that I'm spending less now. What am I missing?

32gb - $650+tax

16gb - $600+tax

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

32gb - $650+tax

16gb - $600+tax

Thanks. So it's about the same, only signing up for a 2 year means I'm not putting the money up front that I may not use if I stay happy with my phone, and if I want to be free I just pay the $350 and I'm out. Right? Still feel like I may be missing something.

johnnex72

May 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. So it's about the same, only signing up for a 2 year means I'm not putting the money up front that I may not use if I stay happy with my phone, and if I want to be free I just pay the $350 and I'm out. Right? Still feel like I may be missing something.

I believe VZW won't activate your device on its network if you cancel and pay the ETF, unless you've been on contract for at least 6 months.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

I believe VZW won't activate your device on its network if you cancel and pay the ETF, unless you've been on contract for at least 6 months.

Isn't the point of not being on contract so that you can leave? If you pay $350 to end your contract then you wouldn't plan on staying anyway.

Again, I'm just thinking out loud. There may be serious holes in the points I'm making. I'm no expert on any of this. Someone please let me know if the stuff I'm thinking doesn't make sense.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I've been out of contract about 18 months now. I don't see any reason to renew. I've had reasonable luck finding new phones on eBay and Craigslist a few months after release near the subsidized price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pagrey