Unlocked and Rooted Using Cyber Warrior's Method - OTA 4.0.4 fail

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The OTA 4.0.4 will download but won't install on my phone. I am unlocked and rooted using Cyber Warrior's method on this forum.

What do I need to do to get the OTA to install? I get a dead Android with a red triangle having an exclamation point on it coming out of it's stomach when I try to install the OTA 4.0.4.

THANKS!!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The OTA 4.0.4 will download but won't install on my phone. I am unlocked and rooted using Cyber Warrior's method on this forum.

What do I need to do to get the OTA to install? I get a dead Android with a red triangle having an exclamation point on it coming out of it's stomach when I try to install the OTA 4.0.4.

THANKS!!

You need a custom recovery in order to flash it. That exclamation point is likely the result of you not having one or it being unstuck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Unlocked and Rooted Using Cyber Warrior's Method - OTA 4.0.4

You need a custom recovery in order to flash it. That exclamation point is likely the result of you not having one or it being unstuck.
Thanks, I have no idea what that means, though. I think I have ClockWorkMod ROM Manager on my phone if that makes a difference.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, I have no idea what that means, though. I think I have ClockWorkMod ROM Manager on my phone if that makes a difference.

Go into that and press "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery." That should put CWM back onto your phone.

Then follow the steps as outlined in the update guide and you should be ok. If you want to keep root, you either need to use the OTA Root Keeper app or flash the new version of superuser.

If the first step (flashing recovery) does not work, you'd have to use Wug's or fastboot to flash the recovery on your device.

Reactions: zero neck

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Go into that and press "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery." That should put CWM back onto your phone.
Will I lose my pictures if I do that?

Then follow the steps as outlined in the update guide and you should be ok. If you want to keep root, you either need to use the OTA Root Keeper app or flash the new version of superuser.
I already have superuser v3.0.3 on my phone. Does that matter? Thanks!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Will I lose my pictures if I do that?

I already have superuser v3.0.3 on my phone. Does that matter? Thanks!

First point - no, don't worry about that. Flashing a recovery within the app won't do a thing to your SDcard/media.

Second point - it means you have root now; however, that's not the "new" SU app that's able to root this 4.0.4 release. For that, follow along in this thread ==>

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-rooting-roms-hacks/176707-root-help.html

Here is the new SU.zip ==> http://db.tt/wnGIRU4p

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Then follow the steps as outlined in the update guide and you should be ok.
I did that and it didn't install again. I think I need to unroot but not sure how.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I did that and it didn't install again. I think I need to unroot but not sure how.

Try again for good measure. Rom Manager is very finicky.

Try using something like Wug's Toolkit to flash it over as well.

FWIW, b/c you're on 4.0.2, you should be able to receive the OTA as normal. There's a thread about trying to "force" it. It started off slowly (with 1 or 2 people having success) but now a bunch are.

Also keep in mind, that regardless of how you do it--through the natural update/OTA or through flashing it, it will unroot you.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

When I go into ROM Manager it says current recovery is ClockworkMod 5.5.0.4. When I flash ClockworkMod Recovery is says it was successful. But the OTA won't install. It downloads and verifies, but won't install.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

When I go into ROM Manager it says current recovery is ClockworkMod 5.5.0.4. When I flash ClockworkMod Recovery is says it was successful. But the OTA won't install. It downloads and verifies, but won't install.

Here's a question I should have asked ==> are you using my OTA guide? Follow those steps to a T and should you be fine.

(It's in my signature)

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Here's a question I should have asked ==> are you using my OTA guide? Follow those steps to a T and should you be fine.

(It's in my signature)
Thanks, I think I just want to unroot for now and let the OTA install and then reroot. But I am not sure how to unroot.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, I think I just want to unroot for now and let the OTA install and then reroot. But I am not sure how to unroot.

Just FYI, there's no "need" for you to unroot now--the OTA, when it comes, will do that for you. In order to re-root, you simply flash that superuser zip I linked to a few posts up.

If you want to unroot, then follow CW's guide in getting there or use something like Wug's if you're on a PC (you just hit the button and you're done).

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Just FYI, there's no "need" for you to unroot now--the OTA, when it comes, will do that for you.

I have the OTA - it downloads and verifies but won't install. I have used root checker and it verifies that I am still rooted. I have flashed the CWM recovery several times and still, the OTA won't install. It doesn't unroot me because it doesn't install.

If you want to unroot, then follow CW's guide in getting there or use something like Wug's if you're on a PC (you just hit the button and you're done).
Thanks. Will I lose my pictures if I unroot?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I have the OTA - it downloads and verifies but won't install. I have used root checker and it verifies that I am still rooted. I have flashed the CWM recovery several times and still, the OTA won't install. It doesn't unroot me because it doesn't install.

Thanks. Will I lose my pictures if I unroot?

OH! For some reason I thought you were trying to manually install it, not that you were using the automatic installation. My apologies!

No, you won't lose your pictures if you unroot.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I think you need stock recovery for the OTA to install.

Yup, I'm on Tapatalk2 :)

Yup, I think you're right. In theory you shouldn't, but I reckon that's the cause of this consternation.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

I think you need stock recovery for the OTA to install.
Is the stock recovery still on my phone somewhere? I have root explorer installed to look for it but I am not sure where it would be.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Is the stock recovery still on my phone somewhere? I have root explorer installed to look for it but I am not sure where it would be.

No. You need to download the image and fastboot it over with Wug's Toolkit.

If you hang on a second, I'm finding the image or at least a quick way to get around it.

Edit: You should be able to do it with Wug's toolkit. Download that, set up the drivers, and then "flash stock + unroot."

Last edited:
Reactions: zero neck

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
What about that recovery boot- p file we are always telling ppl to get rid of? If she could pull that file from a stock rom.

Honestly though, instead of going through all the hassle, why not just do a custom rom. They are worlds better than the ota. All us guys on custom stuff are just bewildered why you folks are going nuts over this ota nonsense. We have absolutely NO desire for the ota.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

What about that recovery boot- p file we are always telling ppl to get rid of? If she could pull that file from a stock rom.

Honestly though, instead of going through all the hassle, why not just do a custom rom. They are worlds better than the ota. All us guys on custom stuff are just bewildered why you folks are going nuts over this ota nonsense. We have absolutely NO desire for the ota.

It would also be much, much easier to manually install the update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CR5