Unlocked Bootloader Security

Doog Lingo

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
If, my Nexus 4 had an unlocked bootloader and a knowledgeable thief stole it. What things could he do to my phone compared to if my phone had a locked bootloader?

Also, if I lock my bootloader, is twrp recovery accessible or does it get replaced by stock recovery?

Note that I would use the app "BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices" for quick locking and unlocking so that is not a problem.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If, my Nexus 4 had an unlocked bootloader and a knowledgeable thief stole it. What things could he do to my phone compared to if my phone had a locked bootloader?

Also, if I lock my bootloader, is twrp recovery accessible or does it get replaced by stock recovery?

Note that I would use the app "BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices" for quick locking and unlocking so that is not a problem.

A very knowledgeable thief wouldn't care about the bootloader. It also depends on what their intentions are. Locking/unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device, but if all they want to do is steal your device, again, it won't matter much.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So do you recommend that I keep my boot loader unlocked?

Posted via Android Central App

Well, I was going to edit my reply, but you already saw it. Relocking your bootloader doesn't wipe the phone. So, honestly, it's up to you. It's hard to say what someone would steal your phone for (the data on it or the device itself), but if you have a PIN or something like that then keeping it locked would make it difficult to get to the data, since the process of unlocking the bootloader to bypass the PIN would wipe the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helpimnotdrowning