Unlocked Galaxy S10+ wifi calling works on Verizon

tgm1024

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE #2:
Experiencing odd drops from wifi calling after a few minutes of talking.

No idea if this is related to carrier based vs. unlocked phone or based on some setting in my router.

The call stays connected, but at first the caller can't hear me. And quickly there's silence on both ends.

UPDATE #1:
Still working, further testing on texting.

While WiFi calling is on, the texting works over WiFi, but with a latency disparity:

Sending Texts: Instant send, and instantly received by recipient.

Receiving Texts: Odd multi-second delay. Seems like 10-15 seconds at times. I never saw this before with just OTA texting.​

<SoftwareEngineer GeekLevel=Medium>Perhaps the WiFi-texting software is performing polling instead of responding through a form of push?</SoftwareEngineer>

ORIG:
I went to the Verizon store and asked about it in person. The guy looked at my account, pushed a few magic buttons on the Verizon magic iPad (apparently they were buried under a mini-mountain of GUI click/click/click/click/click/click/click stupidness) and after maybe 5 to 10 minutes of verizon-fu, it works.

Didn't test other HD voice stuff, because I have larger fish to fry.

Didn't try calling Verizon and handling this over the phone----was too afraid of getting someone reading boilerplate responses.

Just as an aside, earlier in the day a Best Buy grunt said some amusing stuff:

1. (Emphatic) "All Verizon phones are unlocked!" I think he may mean unlockable, he's not saying the entire truth because according to the Verizon store, what you get is a phone that can switch carriers after 24 months BUT *still* will always have the Verizon bootloader, AND *still* have the Verizon bloat, even if you're on, say, ATT.
  2. "You can't get wifi calling, that's the entire point of having a carrier specific phone. It's to get wifi calling."
Okidoki....

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store and ask about it in person. The guy looked at my account, pushed a few magic buttons on the Verizon magic iPad (apparently they were buried under a mini-mountain of GUI click/click/click/click/click/click/click stupidness) and after maybe 5 to 10 minutes of verizon-fu, it works.

Didn't test other HD voice stuff, because I have larger fish to fry.

Didn't try calling Verizon and handling this over the phone----was too afraid of getting someone reading boilerplate responses.

Just as an aside, earlier in the day a Best Buy grunt said some amusing stuff:

1. (Emphatic) "All Verizon phones are unlocked!" I think he may mean unlockable, he's not saying the entire truth because according to the Verizon store, what you get is a phone that can switch carriers after 24 months BUT *still* will always have the Verizon bootloader, AND *still* have the Verizon bloat, even if you're on, say, ATT.
  2. "You can't get wifi calling, that's the entire point of having a carrier specific phone. It's to get wifi calling."
Okidoki....

For #1 yes whenever a rep at a store talks about lock/unlock they mean moving from carrier to carrier -- nothing more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon