Unlocked/Rooted, And Then?

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
OK, so once I got through the unlocking part last night, couldn't help myself but to continue on in Cyber Warrior's guide (thanks!), & rooted my phone.:eek: Since I've never done this before, I hope you'll bear with me with the many questions I know I'll have. When I can actually see how everything plays out, I'm sure it will all make sense.

1. After rooting, is the next step to follow the backup guide & make a backup of my stock ROM, or first go through my apps that need to be set up (contacts, etc., already done through Gmail), & putting my photos back in the Gallery? Once a backup is done, if another one is done later, does it overwrite the first one?

2. How do I know which apps to grant Superuser permission to? This has me concerned; what if I give SU permission to an app that I later determine shouldn't have it?

3. Due to family commitments, I may not have a chance to install a new ROM for awhile, so if VZW happens to push out that elusive update, will I be able to receive & install it since my phone is rooted? Will I lose root if an update is installed?

4. I have MyBackup Pro installed; do you recommend also installing Titanium Backup Pro? Why?

5. Suggestions for a file explorer? Or is it included in something I've already done or will be doing in the backup process?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm a little OCD about trying to do it right the first time, including security of info. on my phone.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, so once I got through the unlocking part last night, couldn't help myself but to continue on in Cyber Warrior's guide (thanks!), & rooted my phone.:eek: Since I've never done this before, I hope you'll bear with me with the many questions I know I'll have. When I can actually see how everything plays out, I'm sure it will all make sense.

1. After rooting, is the next step to follow the backup guide & make a backup of my stock ROM, or first go through my apps that need to be set up (contacts, etc., already done through Gmail), & putting my photos back in the Gallery? Once a backup is done, if another one is done later, does it overwrite the first one?
You can make them whenever you like, as many as you like. You're only limited by your sd card free space, lol. Each back up takes up around 1 gig or a little over. You can also transfer them to your computer for safe keeping. CWM will name them by the data and time you created them.

2. How do I know which apps to grant Superuser permission to? This has me concerned; what if I give SU permission to an app that I later determine shouldn't have it?
Probably more concerned than you need to be.. if you download apps that need root just make sure you know what you are downloading, know the source, have it recommended, etc. Long as you don't go crazy grabbing weird apps from all over the place and sideloading stuff and giving it all SU access you should be fine :)

3. Due to family commitments, I may not have a chance to install a new ROM for awhile, so if VZW happens to push out that elusive update, will I be able to receive & install it since my phone is rooted? Will I lose root if an update is installed?
I believe so, but I'm not 100%. As long as you are on the stock ROM and haven't changed anything much I think you would still get OTA's... and if you do lose root you can always re-root.. or use Root Keeper from the play store (I think that's the name, someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

4. I have MyBackup Pro installed; do you recommend also installing Titanium Backup Pro? Why?
You only need one. If you are comfy with MyBackup Pro then that's just fine :)

5. Suggestions for a file explorer? Or is it included in something I've already done or will be doing in the backup process?
Root explorer. Worth whatever it costs, probably a couple bucks.

Sorry for so many questions. I'm a little OCD about trying to do it right the first time, including security of info. on my phone.
No worries, we're here to help :) Never be afraid to ask!

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

+1 to what 2defmouze said, and I'll add some more.

1 - I personally make a nandroid first thing after unlocking/rooting. I do this only that in the event I make a mistake in the process of setting it all up and bork it, I have something to go back to. Once I have it all set up and stable, I make another nandroid then delete the first one. As was said, backups do not overwrite one another. They are saved with a time/date stamp being the file name.

2 - Also as was said, just don't go willy nilly with apps. Essentials are adfree, root explorer, tibu, etc.. Each time an app requests su permissions you will get a toast notification from su by default. Just don't go downloading/sideloading pr0n apps requesting su ;)

3 - Only if you have the stock recovery, I believe, but I think it has more to do with the build.prop. Definitely use rootkeeper if you want to stay rooted. If not, it's really not a big deal to root again if you don't.

4 - Tibu allows you to do things you ought not, such as restore system data. As was said, you don't need both. Also, be selective restoring app data as well. Probably not a big deal staying stock, but definitely not if you do flash a ROM.

5 - Astro is tried and true, and free. Root explorer fits my needs a little better for things like swapping boot animations and such. Both will verify md5 hashes, which will come in handy should you choose to start flashing. ES File Explorer is decent too.

I'm a little OCD as well. I think all of us that tweak our devices are to an extent. It's good practice :)

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, definitely check out dmmarck's guide. Very thorough and humorous. He's like a celebrity now because of that thing, lol :D

*customized tapatalk signature*

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies & great information! The gauge on my 'stoopid' meter has gone down some since you've given me some starting points. :)

Have no fear, I'm sure more questions will follow - that's what's so great about the AC forums ... helpful people always. Maybe someday I can pay it forward & back. :)

Reactions: oxymoron

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Selfish self-promotion ==> check out my guide. Some things that you asked are covered there to give you a better feel of everything that goes on with this process ;).

That and 2def/oxy covered pretty much everything.

It's a great guide, and I'll be going back to it a lot, I know. Problem is, I read all of the guides in the stickies all the way through (except for the Mac & Linux stuff) plus yours plus zero neck's radio guide. Great stuff! But, my head was so full, when I hit the pillow, I think some of that great info. leaked out on my pillow! :D

BTW, for some reason, unless something just updated on the forums, I haven't been able to see the signatures/guide links since some of the new forum style rolled out. Maybe just my PC or something. Anyway, they're visible now.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
When you get some practice in it will all be second nature. The guides (CW, Dmm, titans, and so forth) are really great resources.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacoxixon