"Unsupported Device" strikes again

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
I have a Galaxy A23 5G. For the past few years since I've had it, I have always had a pretty much perfect experience with using Android Auto in terms of the initial connection.

Recently, however, I have noticed it has been throwing me the Unsupported Device error, which I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in. To my knowledge, this happens with any cable I use. My previous Galaxy A11 had this problem, although pretty much every day.

I have ensured that all my settings were fine, that my apps were up to date, that nothing is set to Optimized in batter saver, etc.

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Yeah definitely, I get lint sometimes from my work pockets and periodically have to clean the ports
I think this may have worked? Haven't had it happen yet. Though I also wonder if itsbecause I am getting rid of the headunit's disclaimer screen before connecting, as I noticed that when I do so, the AA icon appears on the headunit screen almost instantaneously. Before, I would just plug my phone in as soon as I turned on my car and would allow for it to automatically put me into AA. I wonder if it has anything to do with that.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think this may have worked? Haven't had it happen yet. Though I also wonder if itsbecause I am getting rid of the headunit's disclaimer screen before connecting, as I noticed that when I do so, the AA icon appears on the headunit screen almost instantaneously. Before, I would just plug my phone in as soon as I turned on my car and would allow for it to automatically put me into AA. I wonder if it has anything to do with that.
Yes getting rid of the disclaimer will speed up the process

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
It started happening again today as I got in my car to drive to work.

I don't know how much any of this would help, but here is my set-up. The USB is coming through my glove box, I don't know if this ever has anything to do with connectivity. But it was how the Geek Squad installed it.

Attachments

• 20240624_152245.jpg
    20240624_152245.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It started happening again today as I got in my car to drive to work.

I don't know how much any of this would help, but here is my set-up. The USB is coming through my glove box, I don't know if this ever has anything to do with connectivity. But it was how the Geek Squad installed it.
I see you have an aftermarket head unit, that USB cable u need to follow behind the unit see if it's fully seated as any pulls can pull it out from behind the Head unit

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
I see you have an aftermarket head unit, that USB cable u need to follow behind the unit see if it's fully seated as any pulls can pull it out from behind the Head unit
Yeah that was always something I was afraid if as well, though sadly I do not have the expertise enough to go about disassembling things to get back there and see.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah that was always something I was afraid if as well, though sadly I do not have the expertise enough to go about disassembling things to get back there and see.
Since I'm in the Auto industry when I install a unit for myself or family and they have these loose USB cables I like to make a port like factory so you never see the cable just plug it in that way looks clean and professional

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Since I'm in the Auto industry when I install a unit for myself or family and they have these loose USB cables I like to make a port like factory so you never see the cable just plug it in that way looks clean and professional
And I make sure the cables, if not hardwired to the HU, are secured in a way that they do not pull out or disassemble from vibration (tight electrical tape wrap, zip ties, etc)