Update coming through from ATT

Baroka

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have an update coming through from ATT? Checked online but nothing so far hopefully it has no bugs whatsoever...

sharpehenry

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of any updates after MF3. Which updates are you talking about?

I just checked my update, I don't see any.

Posted via Android Central App

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If you're on MDL, then you're probably getting the MF3 update that started rolling out almost a month ago.

It is not advised to let the update run if you want to have root, custom recovery, and the ability to flash new ROMs.

MF3 does have a new rooting method available but it's more difficult...and there is no custom recovery (so no ability to flash custom ROMs either).

See here for info on the update:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...pdate-now-downloading-7-9-13-11-00-am-et.html

FSS

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I just did the Update, and the major upgrade I see is that the "On SD card" function has been enabled for AT&T in the Application Manager, so you can move all moveable apps to the SD Card now...you may have been able to do this if you rooted your S4, but I never did, so I just moved all the moveable apps over today.

Would love to hear any other new features people see as well, haven't done much other poking around with it yet...just very happy to finally have the "On SD card" function.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
However there is a method to protect root on rooted phones before updating to MF3 and then re-install root. This is quite simple in fact. It works because the MF3 update only upgrades individual programs and doesn't flash a complete new image as 4.3 does.

This method can be found at Successful Update to MF3, and Retaining Root - xda-developers

That method can work but things can go wrong and it's not certain to work. However, they have discovered a new root method already, so it's not really necessary.

That being said, I would still avoid MF3. There is still no custom recovery or bootloader exploit...and you cannot downgrade...and you can't unroot...etc.

I just did the Update, and the major upgrade I see is that the "On SD card" function has been enabled for AT&T in the Application Manager, so you can move all moveable apps to the SD Card now...you may have been able to do this if you rooted your S4, but I never did, so I just moved all the moveable apps over today.

Would love to hear any other new features people see as well, haven't done much other poking around with it yet...just very happy to finally have the "On SD card" function.

There's a big thread in this forum, from a month ago, with people talking about the update and what changes they see:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...pdate-now-downloading-7-9-13-11-00-am-et.html

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The difference between the two methods is that in the one I mentioned. Even if it doesn't work you only lose root but the phone is otherwise unaffected. As you mentioned, in the second method for after you have an un-rooted MF3 there is no way to recover if something goes wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lillly