Upgrading to Eris

TYL3R T

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
My two year contract with Verizon is now due for upgrade, I'm moving up from a BlackBerry Pearl, and I really like Eris. I like the Sense UI a whole lot more than what the Droid offers, also the Eris' form factor is a plus for me. I also think the phone will only get better with the 2.x update whenever it gets here. So my question is to those who are really knowledgeable about Verizon and how they upgrade. When I went my local Verizon the rep that I talked to said he could not give me a true answer about overall cost until my account was completely ready for upgrade. So I ask anyone else who has gone through this process, what was your out of pocket expense when getting your Eris with a 2yr upgrade? What should I expect when I go to Verizon to get my new phone?

Thank you!

phearxxx

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I suggest waiting a couple of months for the HTC Incredible. There will most likely be more info on it at CTIA next month. If there eris is your cup of tea then best of luck.

gpgorbosjr#AC

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I suggest waiting a couple of months for the HTC Incredible. There will most likely be more info on it at CTIA next month. If there eris is your cup of tea then best of luck.

Or the CDMA Nexus One...

I traded my Tour to someone for an Eris, but if I was going to buy an Android phone I'd probably wait. Try and get some info on the Incredible, it looks like an amazing phone.

VZW RSR

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming you are shopping at a corporate location and not one of Verizon's many partner retailers. The Eris is selling for $79.99 after a $100 mail in rebate. In some states you have to pay sales tax on the full retail price, which in CA adds another $41 or so. So your up front cost would be around $221 with $100 coming back in the mail.

Other things can affect this price such as an additional NE2 (new every two) discount some numbers qualify for. There is also an Annual Upgrade Fee of $20 that sometimes applies if upgrading before your normal two year date. You might also want to budget for some accessories to protect your new phone, these are a wise investment for a new smartphone.

At $79 the Eris is probably the best deal going for an Android phone. Its cheaper than the sister phones sold by Sprint and T-Mobile, and a great phone for the price.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Since you have "new every two" with a Verizon 2 year contract, you will get an immediate credit (I think $100) right on the receipt as well. At the time that I purchased, the Eris was advertised as $99 after rebate. However, because I had "new every two", looking at the receipt, they charged me $100 for the Eris, and then I received a $100 rebate later on. I bought in NH, where there is no sales tax. My guess is that you'll have something like that happen.

Note as well that they are giving debit cards as rebates these days. You can create an account and then transfer their value to a bank account after you receive it, though.

infg3570

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I got my Eris last Nov for my bday. Online, my account said I was due for an upgrade and that I could immediately get the Eris for 100.00. I called a rep to verify it were true and she confirmed. She also said that I could order with her and that they would just bill the 100.00 to the account. Long story short, they billed me for 160.00. After calling and getting really great VZ customer service, she not only credited the account, and told me that I was eligible for a 100.00 rebate. Net/net, I guess I paid zero for it. The true cost I guess is what they're charging me for the next 2 years.

This is my first smart phone and I love it. I've been patiently waiting for the highly anticipated 2.1 update. One of our very own chefs cooked up a rom with 2.1 on the Sprint Hero and says that it will be well worth the wait. On that note, I figured I'd save myself some money and not immediately jump to whatever new android phone coming our way.

Hope this helps!

PJX

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Currently the Droid Eris is available at Best Buy stores and their online store for FREE. which makes me a bit miffed since I bought mine a couple weeks ago through Amazon for $9.99. Oh, well.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I went to various stores, and talked to Verizon over the phone. the best price for the phone was letstalk.com but now the best buy starts are giving them out free to. But normally Walmart online wireless has the lowest price.

http://wsf4.letstalk.com/htc-droid-eris-verizon-wireless
(it is still free for anyone with an upgrade from the looks of it)

I got my Eris and my wife's for free when verizon was selling them for around $100 direct. I only had to pay taxes on the phone which turned out to be around $30 for each phone.

expect to really only pay $30 for the data plan (before taxes). if your just adding the data plan its around $40 rounding up after taxes on top of what your paying.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcoolest01