Uptime does not reset after auto restart

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I've always noticed that when my phone did an automatic restart overnight that the uptime never reset. I had an auto restart about six days ago and surprisingly I got another one last night. However the one I got last night did reset the uptime. This restart last night appears to be a full restart. In other words it said my phone is restarting and it seems like a more thorough restart. It is almost like the previous automatic restarts were not full restarts at all. This combined with the fact that my uptime did reset leads me to believe that this particular automatic restart was similar to manually re restarting the phone What is going on here?

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Turning off auto-restart should fix this.
Yes I understand that. But I would like the auto restart to work properly. Maybe it is working properly I do not know. It's possible that there are different kinds of reboots maybe a soft cosmetic reboot and maybe a full reboot like the one I got last night. I would just like to know how this actually works

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes I understand that. But I would like the auto restart to work properly. Maybe it is working properly I do not know. It's possible that there are different kinds of reboots maybe a soft cosmetic reboot and maybe a full reboot like the one I got last night. I would just like to know how this actually works
There definitely are different types of reboots, whether that's how the feature is implemented or not I do not know. The thing I would do is have a trawl through Samsung's knowledgebase and see if you can find anything there about how the system works.

Although personally I would say if you trust the feature to know when to restart your phone for you, you should probably trust that it's doing it's job properly.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
There definitely are different types of reboots, whether that's how the feature is implemented or not I do not know. The thing I would do is have a trawl through Samsung's knowledgebase and see if you can find anything there about how the system works.

Although personally I would say if you trust the feature to know when to restart your phone for you, you should probably trust that it's doing it's job properly.
That is good information.. Thank you. What are the two types of reboots and how are they different from each other as you understand it?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That is good information.. Thank you. What are the two types of reboots and how are they different from each other as you understand it?
Basically what you've encountered. There's a quick reboot that closes user apps and background services, but keeps the RAM powered and leaves some system services running. And then there's a full reboot which shuts everything down and cuts power to the RAM to completely clear it out..

This said with the caveats that I have not dived into how samsung runs it's optimization bloa... software and that much of my knowledge is from Windows desktop environments.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Basically what you've encountered. There's a quick reboot that closes user apps and background services, but keeps the RAM powered and leaves some system services running. And then there's a full reboot which shuts everything down and cuts power to the RAM to completely clear it out..

This said with the caveats that I have not dived into how samsung runs it's optimization bloa... software and that much of my knowledge is from Windows desktop environments.
So if I understand you correctly when I do a manual reboot that is considered a full reboot. And there's no real way to do a soft reboot manually?