Urbane 2 Stand (Pic)

Urbane_user

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Just a little something knocked up in the shop over the weekend.

Milled from 6082 Al and powder coated. The charger is a cheap ebay knock off but the pogo pins are good although it needed a bit of fettling to get it working reliably.

No, it is not for sale and I'm not taking orders:
Stand.jpg

Last edited:

Urbane_user

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Xendula - glad you like it!

It a standard 22mm deployment clasp - you will find them easily either on ebay or here (good if you are in the EU), although I can't see the clasp by itself but at least you get a spare strap to practice with:
Watch band He-KB10 22mm silicone deployant clasp

Now, the bit you need guts and and a drill press (or milling machine) for is coring (not drilling) a 1.2mm hole in the band and then cutting it to size. Removing the band is straightforward with a T5 torx to mount it in the milling vice. I made my own coring tool from some mini copper tube I had in stock on the lathe. I then practiced on a spare rubber strap I had until I was happy with the technique and drill speeds etc. I used washing up detergent (Fairy Liquid) as a lubricant and it worked a treat:

20160715_123533.jpg

20160715_124803.jpg

20160715_122342.jpg

Needless to say your warranty is void (at least for the strap) if you decide to do it but I think it really transforms the watch, and given that machining is another hobby of mine I was happy to give it a go.....

Last edited:

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Now, the bit you need guts and and a drill press (or milling machine) for is coring (not drilling) a 1.2mm hole in the band and then cutting it to size.
[...] and given that machining is another hobby of mine I was happy to give it a go.....

Ouch, i don't have the guts nor the skillset! Glad you did not accidentally puncture the antennas that are inside the band!! It looks awesome. My old Gear S had a stainless clasp like that, and I really liked it.

Urbane_user

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Ouch, i don't have the guts nor the skillset! Glad you did not accidentally puncture the antennas that are inside the band!! It looks awesome. My old Gear S had a stainless clasp like that, and I really liked it.

Fortune favours the bold! Like you I came from a Gear S but all my watches (smart or otherwise) have had a clasp. There is a good teardown on a korean site I looked at re: the antennae and how far they extend in to the band (looks about 1.5 inches). Saying that, as long as one doesn't go further than the buckle notches it's fine.

While the modification sounds like bravado I'll admit to a pucker moment when it actually came to doing it!

Urbane_user

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
There are also deployment buckles that don't require cutting the band.
They are made for leather bands but should work fine.

Yes are correct but the rubber band is too thick to fit through the retaining bar - this would have been my first choice....

I stand to be corrected if one exists that has a enough vertical height to accept the rubber strap, but I have yet to find one.