USB storage issues

Carol Perry

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I just put in an SD card and transferred all my pics music and videos to it. My internal USB storage was pretty full, but after doing this and going back to check how much space was freed up I realized nothing changed. The big chunck of space that WAS taken up by pictures is now misc.. Do I need to reformat my USB storage or is this normal?1375588414054.jpg
Sent from my SGH-T989D using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you moved the files, or did you just copy them, leaving the original behind in internal storage?

Edit--sorry, I realized that if you had only copied the files, the original files should still be occuping the Photos and Music categories. Have you tried rebooting the phone, then checking the memory again?

Carol Perry

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I went into the my files app and "moved" them to the externalsdcard and made a folder for them.

Carol Perry

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have... Also, when I unmounted the SD card as if I'm preparing it to be removed that big chunck of used up space disappears. So it's like the misc IS the SD card .. Does that make any sence? 1375589468853.jpg

Carol Perry

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it does. It doesn't make any sense! I'm wondering if it would be a mistake to do a USB reformat. I don't know what I would lose in the process.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, consider installing an app like App Cache Cleaner that does exactly what it's called--it clears out the cache of all apps with one press (which is totally safe--you won't lose any important data). I wonder if that Misc storage is an artifact of some log data in one of the system apps' caches.