USB Tethering + Router Acting as an Access Point?

chrishhh

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
After hours and hours of trying to get wireless internet for my small apartment, I thought I'd give you guys a shot :) I know you all are likely far more knowledgeable than I, so I’m looking forward to your guys’s responses…

So My Problem: I want internet in my tiny apartment. That means I want wireless internet. Trouble is, I’m poor and want to use my LG Revolution 4G phone to do it. Because I have the newest update (2.2.2), it’s impossible to root the phone (I’ve tried several different ways with no success. I’m not sure how to do the whole downgrading thing, and I’ve bricked a phone a long time ago trying that … so I’m apprehensive about going that route).

So my solution was to use PDANet and USB tether my phone to my computer and use my computer to provide an internet connection to a Belkin router, which has an option in its configuration to serve as an Access Point. An Ethernet cord connects the router and my computer. I cannot use an ad-hoc network (which some folks have done thru Windows 7) as it doesn’t work with my Roku box. I also cannot broadcast an AP signal from my computer -- I know there are some wireless internet cards that can do that with something called Connectify, but mine does not. Basically, I’m screwed and with few options.

So, I’m stuck trying to get my USB-tethered computer to talk to my Belkin router over an Ethernet cord, which will then broadcast an AP signal. I’ve got it to broadcast a signal, but no devices can get an IP address – they just sit there forever, “waiting for connection.” It’s frustrating stuff.

Any ideas on how I can get this LG phone to provide wireless to my stuff, so I won’t have to shell out big bucks to Comcast or some other evil cable company????

chrishhh

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
One more thing ... I've spent all night tonight trying to figure out if "bridging" connections could be the answer (meaning, I'd plug an ethernet cord from my device to my computer and my PDANet/Cell to my computer via USB) ... so far that's not working either.

Maybe someone could just root the LG Revo and save me all this trouble ? :)

chrishhh

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep, still no dice. The newest 2.2.2 update prevents the ADB shell from displaying a "#" sign (only a "$" sign), which makes it unusable. SuperOneClick cannot root the newest update either. I was just about to go find a new phone, since the updated LG Revo seems un-rootable at the moment.

BUT! I opted to follow some guys's instructions for a PS3 + shared wired/ethernet connection (Google it, the instructions are everywhere) and that worked in getting my TV hooked up. PDANet looks like it's gonna explode in my system processes (the memory usage increases throughout a movie playing thru the Roku box) ... my computer hasn't exploded yet, so I'm happy.

Still, a working solution to getting my phone to become wireless (through a router/access point or w/ a rooted 2.2.2 update) would be awesome. Hopefully those working on the newest update can get that figured out soon ... judging by the commens on Android forums, there's a huge need out there for one.

liamstanley

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep, still no dice. The newest 2.2.2 update prevents the ADB shell from displaying a "#" sign (only a "$" sign), which makes it unusable. SuperOneClick cannot root the newest update either. I was just about to go find a new phone, since the updated LG Revo seems un-rootable at the moment.

BUT! I opted to follow some guys's instructions for a PS3 + shared wired/ethernet connection (Google it, the instructions are everywhere) and that worked in getting my TV hooked up. PDANet looks like it's gonna explode in my system processes (the memory usage increases throughout a movie playing thru the Roku box) ... my computer hasn't exploded yet, so I'm happy.

Still, a working solution to getting my phone to become wireless (through a router/access point or w/ a rooted 2.2.2 update) would be awesome. Hopefully those working on the newest update can get that figured out soon ... judging by the commens on Android forums, there's a huge need out there for one.
Lol you crack me up. Type adb shell. Thats gives you money symbol. Haha then type su and that gives you pound symbol :p o think thats right. I mean ive only rooted maybe 15 to 20 phones on hand... that i can think of :) and im only 15!

if i helped please hit thank you! all is appreciated! sent from my Lg Optimus S using tapatalk

chrishhh

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
good lord, 15 phones? that's crazy haha...

still though -- i did type the adb shell and nothing happens -- still that damn $$ symbol. other folks seem to be having the same issue since the update so i'm thinking all these folks aren't doing it wrong .....

liamstanley

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
good lord, 15 phones? that's crazy haha...

still though -- i did type the adb shell and nothing happens -- still that damn $$ symbol. other folks seem to be having the same issue since the update so i'm thinking all these folks aren't doing it wrong .....
Idk i havent personaly done it to that phone, but there is always a way around it :p but like i said idk the ones ive rooted its good you get $ sign the ill always type SU in. This quote is a subsequint theory for most roots and exploits, and an after effect for installing things after root. But idk i dont have that phone to test it so :p

if i helped please hit thank you! all is appreciated! sent from my Lg Optimus S using tapatalk

nandojkcolas

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
How did you get PDANet to work on your phone/computer? I have the program installed on both devices, it tells me i might need to update the driver, but does not offer an update and then tells me that the phone is not recognized. How did you get the phone to be recognized?

SexyGal

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
How did you get PDANet to work on your phone/computer? I have the program installed on both devices, it tells me i might need to update the driver, but does not offer an update and then tells me that the phone is not recognized. How did you get the phone to be recognized?

I have the same problem.......Any suggestions?

solraven

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem.......Any suggestions?

uninstall/reinstall. when you are installing pda net it asks what kind of phone you have and installs appropriate drivers. if that doesn't work try a different usb cable. o, and make sure you have the same version on the phone and computer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bramhast