Using a foreign Nexus 4 in Japan

Anglachel_1

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I will shortly be moving to Japan and at the same time I am thinking of replacing my old smartphone. I am very interested in the Nexus 4 but I am wondering whether to buy it unlocked in Sweden before I move or in Japan after I move there. I would like to buy it as soon as possible since my old phone is becoming increasingly unreliable. My questions are therefore:

Would there be any problems using an unlocked foreign Nexus 4 in Japan?

Could I get decent deals for just a SIM (with data traffic) in Japan? Or would buying the phone with SIM in Japan give me a better deal?

I hope someone here will be able to answer my questions. Thank you in advance.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
A Nexus 4 is a Nexus 4, as far as I know they're all the same (all unlocked). You should have no problems using it in Japan as long as the network you choose supports the N4's pentaband GSM radios. The only potential issue you might encounter is dealing with your warranty if something happens to the phone. That's probably going to depend on how you bought it in the first place more than anything.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
any nexus 4 you buy from anywhere can be used with any GSM carriers. sweden and japan might have high tax so it could be expensive there.

its cheaper in states. like mentioned above. warrenty and charger is something that has to be sorted out.

Last edited:

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Japan doesn't use GSM. One of their carriers (DoCoMo, I think) does use UMTS 2100, but they also use a couple other oddball bands not supported by the N4 (or used in any other country), so your coverage might not be so great.

wwu123

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Tokyo now, on at AT&T iPhone LTE plan but roaming on Soft bank. Phone shows UMTS:3 connection but Mobile State Disconnected, andI'm getting no mobile data at all. Had no problems roaming in Taipei last few days. May play around with the settings, but if I can't get it to work I may have to go back to the iPhone as I travel a lot overseas. (Oh, I am on a grandfathered unlimited Intl data plan on b business acct)

wwu123

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
this is crazy, having to try all sorts of APN's in every new roaming country. opensoftbank? smile.world? softbank? WCMDA only? GSM (PRL)? What does data roaming even mean then? No glimmer of hope right now of getting any cellular data - it's like I was thrown back to 2005...

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The nexus 4 is what's called a World Phone. You should Google that. I see no reason why it wouldn't work in japan, I'd imagine it will actually work better in japan.

Casey Rendon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
this is crazy, having to try all sorts of APN's in every new roaming country. opensoftbank? smile.world? softbank? WCMDA only? GSM (PRL)? What does data roaming even mean then? No glimmer of hope right now of getting any cellular data - it's like I was thrown back to 2005...

I was planning a trip to Japan soon, and was looking into mobile hotspot rentals for data. They aren't too expensive and you can get unlimited data with them.

Data Card Rental Service?PuPuru: Cell Phone Rentals Japan
Rental Mobile Wifi Mifi Pocket Wifi in Japan, Portable Wifi Mifi router access point:: Global Advanced Communications
Rental of Motorola two way radio and Pocket WiFi in Japan
Mobile Internet - Rentafone Japan - Pocket WiFi / MiFi Rental
Products & Order | eConnect Japan

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak to the truth of this notion but I read an article that stated wifi is abundant in japan. All that one needs to do is be connected to that network for their home service and they can dial into it from their phones. I'm certain this wouldn't apply to rural areas but it could be true for an urban one. It may be worth looking into.

wwu123

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The nexus 4 is what's called a World Phone. You should Google that. I see no reason why it wouldn't work in japan, I'd imagine it will actually work better in japan.

Unfortunately world phones largely excluded Japan (or vice-versa) during the last 15 years, but it has gotten much better the past few years. Anyway the answer for Japan is *#*#4636#*#* WCDMA only for Softbank, if you're roaming from AT&T, must be something defaulting wrong because of UMTS. NTT Docomo will roam voice,they whitelist IMEI's so may not recognize the Nexus ( I didn't test so may not apply to roaming. The Softbank APN's didn't work by themselves, and the AT&T APN was fine after the band problem was fixed.

I'm planning to use the mobile WiFi rental on 8 day trip to Tokyo for my wife and I, but for short 1-3 day business visits the unlimited roaming has served me well from Indonesia to Denmark. Hope Japan was a fluke for the Nexus 4 and it will be as seamless as it was on the iPhone.

wwu123

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak to the truth of this notion but I read an article that stated wifi is abundant in japan. All that one needs to do is be connected to that network for their home service and they can dial into it from their phones. I'm certain this wouldn't apply to rural areas but it could be true for an urban one. It may be worth looking into.

Probably means the WiFi pucks which I think use Wimax cellular, similar to the hotspot that Clear wire offers. Many use that for their home Internet now instead of wired broadband and home router. The puck is so small you can also take it around town.

Chimpware

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I was just in Tokyo last week and had no trouble roaming with data with my T-Mobile sim card. Cost me a ton of money, but worked OK. Don't remember which carrier it was though.

fn_noobee

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Just got stationed here in Okinawa, Japan. Although my Nexus 4 showed I was data roaming on Softbank with a T-Mobile SIM, an activated SIM would show Softbank for a split second then shut off to say emergency calls only. SIM cards through them would only work for recognized IMEIs that were on their handsets. NTT Docomo refused to activate it altogether and you can't just buy a SIM separately on any of the major carriers. But there is hope, there is a little known MVNO that piggy-backs on NTT Docomo's network called B-Mobile that allows you to use data on prepaid plans (which is also difficult to get activated if not a native Japanese citizen). You may have to order SIM cards online or ask someone at a cell shop, but they work on unlocked global phones. I just went with au KDDI and got the HTC J Butterfly (Japanese version Droid DNA) and boxed my Nexus 4 for stateside. Good luck!

Link below:
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/lineup.html[/url