Using a Tablet as an All-in-One Car System

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
As I type this, my in-car setup consists of a cassette player, FM receiver (for my smartphone to play music), a seperate blutooth car kit, a cradle to hold my smartphone and a seperate car charger for my smartphone... Or put another way, the front of my car is a complete mess.

What I would like to do (if is possible) is mount a suitable tablet into the dash, whilst connected to external power and my speakers... It is through such a setup I hope to use my tablet as a navigation device, blackox and multimedia solution (prmiarily music).

If I was to purchase an Android tablet (most likely a Sony Tablet S), how would I go about hard-wiring it into external power and my speakers?

Last edited:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but with a 7" tablet. I think you would have better luck finding a way to mount it. Anyway, for power, just use a standard car charger for the device, but hard wire to power source.

It will be a little more difficult to power 4 (or more) speakers. You can use a 1/8" mini-jack to RCA plugs to go from the headphone jack of the tablt to an amplifier. The issue is you will have no fader (from to back) control. You would be better off finding an after market head unit with RCA inputs, and plug the tablet into that. Then you would have full balance/fader controls, and tone adjustments.

Either way, would love to see some pics when you are done.

itsrayray

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
You could run the tablet in dash to a 3.5mm headphone to rca. Rca to
Line driver(which increases rca voltage for a much stronger signal). And line driver to 4channel amp(as long as it has proper xover points, or else you'll need a eq after line driver) for your door/rear deck speakers.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk