Using internet connected to local WIFI

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an RV that allows me to control everything their their app as long as I am connected to the RV's local WIFI network (which doesn't provide internet).

It is obviously a terrible design as I cannot access the internet if I want to stay connected to it.

I know that about the "Switch to mobile data" option, but this doesn't work as this disconnects me from that WIFI connection. So that means I actually have to put the connection as a "Network exception" if I want it to stay connected.

Is there any work around to stay connected to a WIFI connection, but use mobile data when on that connection?

(Samsung note 10+ Android 12)

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Is there some sort of add-on option missing, that would connect the local RV wifi node (there must be a local router or AP or something in the RV serving up that RV wifi network) to the internet? Maybe the RV manufacturer normally expects to try to sell some sort of broadband service as an add-on, to make it all complete. I would read through all the manuals and papers you got with the RV, or look around in the RV and try to find the router/AP that is broadcasting the local wifi signals. Knowing what that device looks like and what available free wired ports might exist on it, might help piece two and two together. Also, you'd probably be able to learn a bunch about the system by googling about the company that makes the app. Presumably the app comes from Play Store? If you put your phone into hotspot mode and then also check off the setting to allow local devices to exchange with each other, then in theory you might be able to communicate via wifi between your phone and the local RV wifi network for "local traffic", but use mobile data for "external traffic". For that to maybe work however, I assume you'd also need to have the local RV wifi router join your phone's hotspot. To figure out if that can be done, you'd really need to know more about how the system works in the RV.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
There's a basic principle that you need to follow in order to straighten out your online access problem. Keep in mind that:
a) 'mobile data' only relates to cellular connectivity. It does not pertain to WiFi nor to any broadband tied to an ISP. It's just cellular;
b) WiFi signals and cellular signals are both wireless networking standards but they are also very different from each other. They are not interchangeable and each are provided by different technologies -- a WiFi signal is a relatively short range networking standard, typically generated by a wireless router appliance while a cellular signal has a coverage range that can extend for miles and is emitted by a cellular tower or cellular access point.

So while both can allow you to have access to the Internet, that's not an absolute. Your typical home router manages and maintains a local network, but that local network is its own isolated network. You can add a connection to a modem with its broadband connectivity to the Internet, which then allows devices in your local network to have online access. Take away the modem connection, and the local network will still be fully functional. All the devices connecting to that local network will still be able to detect and share with each other, there's just no online access. This is a common scenario in a corporate setting -- lots of devices connected to multiple local networks with all kinds of file and printer sharing schemes with each other, but online access might only be through curated and monitored connections through a firewall.
Your RV WiFi set up sounds similar, you have a local network that you can connect to but without a wired broadband connection (Ethernet or coax) or a wireless cellular connection (requires a contract with a cellular service), there's no online access. Most RV parks provide broadband hook ups and/or cellular service, either included in the basic fee to use their facilities or hopefully not an added charge. If you're just out on your own in mostly remote areas you'll need to have your own cellular service, or something like a more pricey satellite-based service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12