Usually how long till roms get updated for popular phones?

Advaitom

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Usually how long til roms get updated for popular phones?

Hi All, I'm new to rooting and romming. Suppose I have a popular Android phone that can be rooted and rommed. And suppose this phone has a strong root/rom community. How long does it usually take for a rom to get updated to the latest version of Android? For example if Android "N" comes out in January, how long til the popular roms get updated to "N"? I know it depends on the particular rom, but I just want to get a general idea.

For example, do some popular roms like cyanogenmod get updated very quickly? If so, how quick? 1 week? 1 month? 4 months?

This is kind of a general question. Should I move it to another forum? Thanks,

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I think it's okay here. :)

As an example, I believe that there is already a Cyanogenmod custom Recovery for the recent Honor 5x. Custom ROMs for it are thought by some to be in the offing.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Usually how long til roms get updated for popular phones?

Some custom ROMs never get updated - the developer developed the ROM for himself (it's not that difficult), is satisfied with it, and doesn't want the features in the new version of Android. (I'm still running 4.4.2 - I don't need anything from 5 or 6.) Some ROMs get updated in a week or two, some in months. It's all over the map.

If the developer works full time, it's going to take longer. If he's in school, and has a whole summer to work on a ROM (or winter break or spring break or etc.), it might take only days.

Cyanogen takes time. It's a commercial product (although it's free) and it's thoroughly tested before a stable release. How long? Software doesn't work like that. It takes as long as it takes. (TMobile pulled an update of the stock ROM the night before the release date, because someone found a bug at the last minute, so even an announced release date is only tentative.) When marketing decides on a release date (which means the software is released on that date regardless of its state), you get buggy releases. When software development decides on a release date, you get stable software. But development doesn't decide on a release date until the date is "today". (That's how Apple releases updates so quickly after announcement - they don't announce a new version until they have a stable one. It's easy to meet a release date of next week if the software is already ready to be released.)