V20 Camera Review - Thoughts?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: thoughts?

Not something I'll trade my Pixel for. I also can't see the statement that it's a big trend in 2016 to have a dual camera setup. There's the iPhone 7 Plus, the V20, and I believe the Huawei P9 that have them. Out of all the phones released this year, 3 or 4 phones having it doesn't make it a huge trend. I'll guarantee if the iPhone didn't have it, nobody would he paying attention to it. Hell, HTC had it a few years back and everyone seems to have forgotten about it until Apple put it on their phones.

IMHO it's kinda like 3D movies, it was fun the first couple of times, but since then I've never gone to a 3D showing of a movie. If it's done right it can be cool, but sometimes it isn't and that movie almost made me nauseous. I know some people love it but I'm not one of them, same as with the dual camera setup.

matther22xdroid

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site

The V20 doesn't have a perfect camera, I would probably not rate it higher then the iPhone7, Pixel, or even my S7 I just got rid of.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I've seen more articles lately similar to this. I think the difference is from people who edit their pictures on their computer vs people who just edit on phone and post. Looking on the screen a iPhone 7 plus or s7 edge will have more pop. I always thought the best photograph was having the image look as similar to the scene as possible. I think the v20 does that pretty well with good detail. After that you can edit to your liking, but you can't go back and make it look more natural.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

The V20 doesn't have a perfect camera, I would probably not rate it higher then the iPhone7, Pixel, or even my S7 I just got rid of.

To each his own I guess.. There's been some side by side images on YouTube that shows the v20 being up there with them. When looking via computer and not through the screens they are very similar, sometimes outshining the competition, sometimes not.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Thoughts? -- Pretty much the reviewer likes the V20. You can read multiple reviews and get different answers. Some will agree with each others whereas others will say they're superior. It depends on things like what the person believes is the best quality pic, their biased towards a phone (most iPhone users would swear their camera is always better no matter what), and pretty much we are all human so therefore will never agree.

IMHO -- Most "flagship" class phones are all so close to each other that it doesn't matter much. We could go to the park, take a pic, and my Pixel is better. We go down the street and take some pics of the buildings and your V20 is better. You get the idea :p.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Thoughts? -- Pretty much the reviewer likes the V20. You can read multiple reviews and get different answers. Some will agree with each others whereas others will say they're superior. It depends on things like what the person believes is the best quality pic, their biased towards a phone (most iPhone users would swear their camera is always better no matter what), and pretty much we are all human so therefore will never agree.

IMHO -- Most "flagship" class phones are all so close to each other that it doesn't matter much. We could go to the park, take a pic, and my Pixel is better. We go down the street and take some pics of the buildings and your V20 is better. You get the idea :p.

I agree with you. It's just interesting to see someone liking the V20 better. I've noticed that most of the people that like a phone over the Pixel aren't affiliated with one of the top Android blogs. But I stumbled across that post on Twitter.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Not something I'll trade my Pixel for. I also can't see the statement that it's a big trend in 2016 to have a dual camera setup. There's the iPhone 7 Plus, the V20, and I believe the Huawei P9 that have them. Out of all the phones released this year, 3 or 4 phones having it doesn't make it a huge trend. I'll guarantee if the iPhone didn't have it, nobody would he paying attention to it. Hell, HTC had it a few years back and everyone seems to have forgotten about it until Apple put it on their phones.

IMHO it's kinda like 3D movies, it was fun the first couple of times, but since then I've never gone to a 3D showing of a movie. If it's done right it can be cool, but sometimes it isn't and that movie almost made me nauseous. I know some people love it but I'm not one of them, same as with the dual camera setup.

True 3 or 4 phones.. maybe 5 or 6 have it this year, but it's got to start somewhere right?

But it was on the LG G5 and people recognize that, not nearly on a HUGE scale but it did hit the media quite big. HTC did a terrible job at implementing it on the EVO 3D and the playing field wasn't as level as it is now. But I totally understand where you're coming from.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

If Apple does it the rest will follow and Apple has so they will.

matther22xdroid

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site

To each his own I guess.. There's been some side by side images on YouTube that shows the v20 being up there with them. When looking via computer and not through the screens they are very similar, sometimes outshining the competition, sometimes not.

Compared to my S7 the low light on the V20 is really bad. The wide angle is a huge plus for sure it looks great. I need to throw some pics up I took. When I said it's camera wasn't perfect I mean't just that,it's not perfect and maybe doesn't take as good-a-shots in certain settings as other phones but that doesn't mean it's not still awesome.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

And this opens up a huge range because the iPhone 7 is part of a 4 way tie for the 8th best camera. So if you would think it's close but not above the iPhone 7, then you're basically saying the V20 is in the top 10 or top 15 cameras out there. Competition at the top is tight. Meanwhile the Pixel is #1 and the S7 is #2 - so the V20 seem very far from the top indeed, though as others have pointed out, the competition is so close that many people won't be able to tell the difference between some of these top 10-15 cameras.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

And this opens up a huge range because the iPhone 7 is part of a 4 way tie for the 8th best camera. So if you would think it's close but not above the iPhone 7, then you're basically saying the V20 is in the top 10 or top 15 cameras out there. Competition at the top is tight. Meanwhile the Pixel is #1 and the S7 is #2 - so the V20 seem very far from the top indeed, though as others have pointed out, the competition is so close that many people won't be able to tell the difference between some of these top 10-15 cameras.

I think a lot of what people are saying is true for the person saying it. In the end I don't see a bad camera among any of these phones. It is all up to what you like. There was a time I could care less about phone cameras and I had some bad ones in early Moto phones. I appreciate a good camera on a phone now but it's far from my number one reason for choosing a phone. As long as it takes decent shots I'm good to go. I will say this though, I would hate to give up the wide angle feature.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Loved it ever since the G5 and now on the V20 I also like the front facing wide angle camera.
I had the wide angle on the front with my V10. Missed the quality of the front facing camera on the G4 though... Do you still have the G5? The camera got better with the Nougat update. My wife just sent me this pic she took

dc4110cb5ca3e54e164af81280e941b9.jpg