Various problems saving video to SD card

Zombi Hotpockets

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Vodafone Smartphone 111. It is pretty old - 5 years - and it's a bit slow nowadays with a couple of minor issues, but it keeps on chugging along just fine.

I use it to make YouTube videos and have therefore recently bought a 32GB SD card. I've installed and formatted it, and set the phone to automatically save to the card, but it's now behaving erratically when I try saving videos. The problem seems worse for higher-quality videos, so I think the problem revolves around the amount of data I'm trying to save.

Anyway, the issues I'm getting are a mix-and-match of the following:

- When I try to save the video, it takes a long time to save. Far longer than it did when saving directly to the phone, and sometimes, it takes longer to save the video than the video itself is (which may not be relevant but seems odd).
- Sometimes it looks like a video has been saved, but it seems to be saved wrong, so that the Camera programme can't always produce a thumbnail, or the camera can't find the video to play it back, or if it is saved, selecting the video to play it has no effect (but if this happens, I can move it over to my netbook and play it).
- Some videos that it saves have blocks of green, pauses, blocky bits where it looks like not all of the data has been recorded, and periods of silence.
- if I leave the phone to record for a greater length of time (ie., 10 minutes was my aim), it saves the video at around the 2 or 3 minute mark without me doing anything.

I think that's all of the errors I'm getting. There's little apparent consistency with what causes the above, and shutting my phone down and starting it up again before recording doesn't help very much. The extent of the problems I'm having will make it unworkable to produce videos, so help would be very much appreciated.

The SD card is off-brand; not sure how much that affects reliability.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Zombi

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: [GUIDE] Using chkdsk to fix a corrupted SD card - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
What resolution are you recording at? Do you know the class or speed of the card?

Older micro SD cards, or even newer cheap ones can be ridiculously slow to the point they aren't fast enough to record video properly at HD or above resolutions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2