Verizon *228 Update Roaming Capabilities

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
So what exactly does that do... Before when I have my LG Dare I was told to turn my phone off at night so it can update the towers and dial *228 to do the update. Does anybody do that? Is it worth it?

I just did it, I notice it doesn't restart the phone like it did for my other phones.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the link... But I for some reason thought roaming doesnt really exist now because most cellular plans are nation to nation?

What about turning off the phone at night so it can update the towers? I doubt anyone is doing that?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Its not really roaming, its just making sure that it is dialed into the newest towers. Sometimes it wont grab the closest tower, so this helps. I dont turn my phone off, its too much of a pain and I may miss work stuff. Once a month I dial *228 then option to to ensure that I am on the most current PRL.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it does nothing.

Emilluminati

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
I always thought it was a little strange that the phones can't perform this on their own. I would think that it would be a simple programming task to schedule the phones to update the PRL on their own.

jordo

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Droid yesterday and when I got home I only had 1 bar sometimes two. I did the *228 and then shortly there after it jumped to 3 bars and stays pretty solid there throughout my house so I would say it definitely helps.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
When you update your roaming capabilities it's for new Verizon antennas and for access to new antennas that Verizon has made agreements to have access to. Verizon is constantly adding and gaining access to more and more antennas but not necessarily in your area. Never the less, like darreno1 said, its a good idea to do a *228 once a month. I've definitely noticed a difference many times.

FYI, under menu>settings>about phone>status The PRL version lets you know what roaming capabilities version you have. If you look at this # before you do a *228 and then again after, if the # changes, then your roaming capabilities have changed.

A

andy343858

roaming doesnt' exsist but it lets you update to more recent towers in your area.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It does exist if you're like me and travel to Canada, Mexico or anywhere else outside the US. These PRL updates are definitely relevant in that regard.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shellycharls9