Verizon 3G service is not very good.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if they are throttling me or what but, the Verizon 3g service is the worst I've ever seen. I did a speed test and I'm only getting 15 kbps. My 3g on my Nexus S through T-Mobile gets 2-5 Mbps.

I don't see why they would force us to get this service if it's that bad or they're going to throttle us like that. It doesn't make any sense. I hope the 4G LTE is as good as HSPA +

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if they are throttling me or what but, the Verizon 3g service is the worst I've ever seen. I did a speed test and I'm only getting 15 kbps. My 3g on my Nexus S through T-Mobile gets 2-5 Mbps.

I don't see why they would force us to get this service if it's that bad or they're going to throttle us like that. It doesn't make any sense. I hope the 4G LTE is as good as HSPA +

Verizon is the slowest of all of the carriers, but 15 Kbps is just insanely slow, that's very abnormal. Do you normally have a good signal where you are with Verizon?

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I had Verizon for years on a phone and it's so, so. I have a pretty good signal on the Xoom. I just signed up today so, I don't know if there is some kind of policy for new users. I'm glad I didn't sign a contract now and, bought it full price.

If it doen't get better I'll just cancel it and hope 4G is better when it arrives.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty satisfied with the speeds I am getting. Haven't actually clocked them but nothing to the point of a crawl in the browser.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried testing to different servers? i find that switching to one across country and then back to something closer typically helps with speeds.

You'll most likely never get over 2mb/s with verizon 3g, unless you're really really lucky (live near an area prepping to get LTE, so better backhaul) but 15 is way too low.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It must just be the area I live in. I just went out in town in a different spot just a few miles from my home and, it was much better, I got 700 kbps to 1.2 Mbps. It's not a big deal because I mainly use wi-fi at home but, when 4G comes out it's going to have to be better, at least what I get from T-mobile.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
Not going to lie... at my job, it's much better than Sprint's 3g. I can't even stream Pandora at work without it skipping al the time. So far not having that problem over Verizon. Don't tell my Evo I said that, OK?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to my world OP. Verizon is absolutely unusable here (to be fair, they acknowledge this and don't offer service) unless you force roaming on US Cellular.

A Verizon phone at my house will connect to 1xrtt on the Verizon network, yet won't pull/push any data fast enough to even check mail. I would double check that you're in a coverage area, and if so give customer service a call.