Verizon allegedly ends two year service contracts

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
It's true. I've been eligible for a week now so I've been watching for a good deal. As of yesterday the two year contract option is gone, from Verizon and retailers like Best Buy and Target.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It's true. I've been eligible for a week now so I've been watching for a good deal. As of yesterday the two year contract option is gone, from Verizon and retailers like Best Buy and Target.

What does it look like on your account? Do you still have the option to get 2-Year Contact pricing from the Verizon website?
Just curious.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Free agency for all! Verizon's perceived gleeful stubbornness in their not carrying an LTE-enabled Gear S3 Frontier has caused the rest of the scales to fall from my eyes. Yes, as I have only known Verizon these past ten years, their network is reliable but their byzantine approach to keeping their customers happy is puzzling and off-putting.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Free agency for all! Verizon's perceived gleeful stubbornness in their not carrying an LTE-enabled Gear S3 Frontier has caused the rest of the scales to fall from my eyes. Yes, as I have only known Verizon these past ten years, their network is reliable but their byzantine approach to keeping their customers happy is puzzling and off-putting.

..lol

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Tablets and Internet devices are rumored to still allow 2-year upgrades, though I don't believe a smartphone can transfer an upgrade to a tablet.

Plus, it sounds like the same upgrade option has been completely removed from the smartphone line.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tablets and Internet devices are rumored to still allow 2-year upgrades, though I don't believe a smartphone can transfer an upgrade to a tablet.

Plus, it sounds like the same upgrade option has been completely removed from the smartphone line.

But for tablets the contract discount is only $150. For the iPhone for example, the discount is $450. I don't want to sign a two year contract for$150 savings plus you can buy ipads on sale elsewhere since they are unlocked and work on all carriers.

e870d137ef2531cccdbe3d3231812ce1.png

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
But for tablets the contract discount is only $150. For the iPhone for example, the discount is $450. I don't want to sign a two year contract for$150 savings plus you can buy ipads on sale elsewhere since they are unlocked and work on all carriers.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170108/e870d137ef2531cccdbe3d3231812ce1.png
You are exactly right. The only reason I thought this could be a good thing would be if you could take a UDP sim, put it in a tablet temporarily, and transfer the upgrade to another tablet line, so the UDP line's contract would be extended and the $20 increase avoided.

Do you still have any UDP lines under contract?
I have two and I will keep at least one, even with the increase.

Of course, I doubt it would work. $20 increase is $480 over 2 years, so saving that money would be nice.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You are exactly right. The only reason I thought this could be a good thing would be if you could take a UDP sim, put it in a tablet temporarily, and transfer the upgrade to another tablet line, so the UDP line's contract would be extended and the $20 increase avoided.

Do you still have any UDP lines under contract?
I have two and I will keep at least one, even with the increase.

Of course, I doubt it would work. $20 increase is $480 over 2 years, so saving that money would be nice.

Won't work because udp lines are smartphone only in the System. You won't be able to upgrade with a Non smartphone on the line.

I have a few UDP lines all on contract but i plan to sell one now.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 UDP lines and 1 tiered line. My line is still showing an available upgrade, and the remaining 3 lines still show their upgrade eligibility dates. Can other UDP users confirm or deny?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 UDP lines and 1 tiered line. My line is still showing an available upgrade, and the remaining 3 lines still show their upgrade eligibility dates. Can other UDP users confirm or deny?

Can you try to do a mock order to see if it lets you add a subsidized phone on the line? Or perhaps it could mean that you can do a dpp.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Along with this Verizon is increasing the upgrade fee to $30. With the expensiveness of new phones, the lack of any real innovation anymore as it's just mostly been done already, I see less and less reason to go with a brand new device. Processors are already fast, what's another millisecond or two? Worthy of a higher cash outlay? There's so many 3rd party seller sites. And if one must have a brand new device you can save some coin by buying outright for cash from a 3rd party seller and forgo the upgrade fee and the increased bill for two years. When enough people choose to bail on Verizon's products and go get their own and just sim swap I wonder if Big Red will find a way to gig them out of their cash.
I've bought my last phone from Verizon and will pursue 3rd party sellers for a gently used device in future. I can make my phones last longer anyway. I pay to use Verizon's network, I don't need to pay their upgrade fees which are nothing more than a blatant cash grab anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karl.stubbs