Verizon BB/DROID Users to GET VOIP thru Skype?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
personally never was a big fanboy of wifi devices. honestly, i compared my friends iphone on wifi to my 3g and i beat him :)

plenty fast and doesnt suck the battery :)

agarrett527

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
It's certainly a partnership that could help Verizon out initially. I'm sure it will work it's way to other carriers but it definitely adds something else for the user who uses this service to think about Verizon.

clr007

Jan 26, 2010
www.crankin.net
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but aren't there already other VOIP applications out for Android? If so, then what's the big deal-- aside from Verizon "officially" supporting/condoning it?

I haven't played around with VOIP extensively on my Droid yet, but have been meaning to for a while as my home service is with a VOIP provider and I've got the necessary credentials to sign in to their SIP servers from my own device. (Actually, if that works, I may be tempted to toss my voice plan and just see if I can go with unlimited data on Verizon for my Droid...)

clr007

Jan 26, 2010
www.crankin.net
I don't believe verizon will allow a internet only plan, unless you are using a broadband card.

That's disappointing, but understandable. I suppose they want to ensure that a substantial enough profit is made from each customer, thus the need to charge for a relatively unnecessary (at least in my case) voice service.

Of course, if I was really concerned about how much I was spending with Verizon for service, I probably would have foregone text messaging and just opted to use Google Voice for it. (I will consider doing that if the Google Voice app ever supports instant notifications via push.)

Thanks for the heads up.

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but aren't there already other VOIP applications out for Android? If so, then what's the big deal-- aside from Verizon "officially" supporting/condoning it?

I use Skype for my home phone so it would be nice to tie everything to one number without going the Google Voice route.

The current Skype client still dials a local number to get out so it costs you minutes. The only alternative I've tried, which was Fring, had a bad delay on voice chats.

anon(5298)

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Do you think we will be able to use Skype with our own cell number or will we have to have a separate Skype # for people to call?

I get no service at work so having the ability to make Skype calls via wifi from my OWN cell number would be rather large for me...

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Doubt it but we shall see...

Unless they plan to do something different, keep in mind if you want to make or receive calls from non Skype users you need to pay extra to be able to SkypeOut and SkypeIn.

SkypeOut is what you need to call other phone numbers, it's $2.95 a month (or 8.40 quarterly, 30.05 yearly) for 10,000 mins of unlimited long distance to the US and Canada under their fair usage policy.

SkypeIn is what you need if you want a phone number people can call, once you have a subscription to SkypeOut, they give you 50% off a number to SkpyeIn. Like any VOIP service, you can select a number anywhere in the country which may come in handy for you. It works out to be about $9 for three months or $30 for the year with the discount.

I personally use it for my home phone because it works well for me and it's hard to beat having a line for about $60 a year.

If you're not paying for those services, you can only call other Skype users and they are ID'd by username, not a phone number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12