Verizon files on a Pixel purchased directly from Google?

kalinakara

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Why would there be Verizon files like "Verizon Login" on a Pixel purchased directly from Google? Did they include this garbage on every single pixel?

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
ATT user here.

I would not have noticed this...
I see the following under system apps:

Verizon Login - 92.00kb
Vzw OMA Trigger - 16.00kb
vzw_api - 16.00kb
VZW_Multicast_MW - 104kb
VZWAPN - 16.00kb

Although it doesn't occupy much space on the phone it still is a bit annoying to see this. I would imagine all phones are like this to be Verizon ready if products needed to be shipped to Verizon? Then again I have the blue limited version and Verizon doesn't sell that one. This is odd. Perhaps someone can elaborate on this.

kalinakara

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
ATT user here.

I would not have noticed this...
I see the following under system apps:

Verizon Login - 92.00kb
Vzw OMA Trigger - 16.00kb
vzw_api - 16.00kb
VZW_Multicast_MW - 104kb
VZWAPN - 16.00kb

Although it doesn't occupy much space on the phone it still is a bit annoying to see this. I would imagine all phones are like this to be Verizon ready if products needed to be shipped to Verizon? Then again I have the blue limited version and Verizon doesn't sell that one. This is odd. Perhaps someone can elaborate on this.

Pure Google my butt. Super disappointed. One of the biggest reasons for me to get a Pixel was to have a clean phone with zero carrier garbage (I truly hate how the carriers rape most Android devices and force on us their gunk apps that no one uses anyway).

zavandiver

May 2, 2014
Visit site
All Pixels have these files. They are system-level files that allow the phone to work on Verizon. Pixels sold by Google and Verizon work on any carrier. The only difference is that the Verizon version is carrier-locked.

zavandiver

May 2, 2014
Visit site
These files are not typical carrier bloatware. They are only there to allow the phone to work on the Verizon network. They do not duplicate any of Google's apps or add useless apps. The Pixel is "pure Google".

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
This is correct. Also as far as Verizon not selling the limited edition in blue, unless something has changed very recently, that is where I purchased my blue one from. I do not have the 128g though if that is what you are referring to

kalinakara

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
They are only there to allow the phone to work on the Verizon network.

Not buying that. It's a world phone that is supposed to work on any carrier. There are a dozen in US and at least two dozen in Europe. I don't see any other carrier files in there except Verizon.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Look under post number 12 from this thread on XDA

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pi...re-pixel-xl-vzw-apps-installed-t3487194/page2
quote from link :
Those are built-in Nougat, look under the S and you will see a Sprint App.

They are not apps that could be installed from play store or user app at all

Remember Verizon and Sprint are not GSM carriers so Nougat needs those in case you put a Sprint or Verizon SIM to provision phones on their networks.

Kinda makes sense to me :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not buying that. It's a world phone that is supposed to work on any carrier. There are a dozen in US and at least two dozen in Europe. I don't see any other carrier files in there except Verizon.

Return it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
These files are not typical carrier bloatware. They are only there to allow the phone to work on the Verizon network. They do not duplicate any of Google's apps or add useless apps. The Pixel is "pure Google".

The iPhone probably has similar files.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This is correct. Also as far as Verizon not selling the limited edition in blue, unless something has changed very recently, that is where I purchased my blue one from. I do not have the 128g though if that is what you are referring to

My apologies. Not well informed! I'm still a little annoyed the blue didn't come in 128gb...I would have been all over that. Oh well I still love my phone. I hope things turn around for you at some point with your phone. I've noticed you haven't had much luck.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
No worries there! I'm glad I got the smaller one personally. As for things turning around for me, after the update yesterday I am no longer seeing hollow bars and my signal did improve slightly. I will see how it goes. That was the worst of things for me.

Maybe a few of the other issues will prove over time but for now I may just be able to make a call without being on Wi-Fi

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

More specifically, these are the files necessary to make the Verizon features work. WiFi calling is an example.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilc73