Verizon Galaxy S3 "Service Unavailable?"

blurgz

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Verizon Galaxy S3 for 200 on Craigslist and it's in great condition. However, I can't seem to update it because it keeps giving me the error "Service Unavailable." I've searched Google numerous times and the answer seems to be switching to a new Verizon sim card - but there's one problem, I don't want a new Verizon sim card. I'm on Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 and I want to update it to Jellybean so that it can be fully unlocked for other carriers. Is there any other way to update my phone without a Verizon sim? It's not rooted btw.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Try searching for the update itself and download it to the root of your SD card. The latest build is JZ054K.I535VRBMF1. Someone is bound to have captured a link to the build on the servers. Once it is saved on the root of the SD card boot into recovery mode and it should find the update and install it automatically. With the device powered down hold volume up home and power until the Samsung logo appears the release and you will boot into recovery.

blurgz

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Alright. Thank you for the answer. Do I extract the .zip file of this firmware or move it to the root without it?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright. Thank you for the answer. Do I extract the .zip file of this firmware or move it to the root without it?

Welcome to the forums!
In that case you would not want to extract it. Just copy it to your SD card, and install.

blurgz

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
In that case you would not want to extract it. Just copy it to your SD card, and install.

Thank you. I did just that. I installed the firmware onto my root and when I put my phone into recovery mode, it didn't recognize anything.
Here is the pic from where I downloaded the firmware.
2ry33n9.jpg

*Edit*
I can't really seem to find official 4.1.2 firmwares for the Verizon Galaxy S3. All I'm seeing are roms?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I did just that. I installed the firmware onto my root and when I put my phone into recovery mode, it didn't recognize anything.
Here is the pic from where I downloaded the firmware. http://oi39.tinypic.com/2ry33n9.jpg

*Edit*
I can't really seem to find official 4.1.2 firmwares for the Verizon Galaxy S3. All I'm seeing are roms?

You can try flashing via ODIN.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

tooter123

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Here is the pic from where I downloaded the firmware. http://oi39.tinypic.com/2ry33n9.jpg

*Edit*

Take your pick; Firmware archive | Samsung Updates

If you put it on the root of your SD card and flash via recovery, you have to rename it UPDATE.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
That is the forgotten step there. Rename the file so it reads update.zip. don't add a zip just rename the file update and it will be found.

Good call tooter

Posted via Android Central App

blurgz

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
That is the forgotten step there. Rename the file so it reads update.zip. don't add a zip just rename the file update and it will be found.

Good call tooter

The website Tooter provided didn't have my baseband version which is I535VRLHE. I've look everywhere for this version and I can't seem to find it.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The one you already downloaded that you said it didn't see. With it saved to your SD card rename the file so it is named update.

That way when you look at the file saved on the SD card it says the file is

Update.zip

Once that is done reboot into recovery mode like before and it should find it automatically. If not, in recovery you should be able to choose to apply update a d select the file and it will apply it.

blurgz

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The one you already downloaded that you said it didn't see. With it saved to your SD card rename the file so it is named update.

That way when you look at the file saved on the SD card it says the file is

Update.zip

Once that is done reboot into recovery mode like before and it should find it automatically. If not, in recovery you should be able to choose to apply update a d select the file and it will apply it.

I did just that, and it didn't detect the update. This doesn't require rooting right? My phone isn't rooted btw. I guess I could just put it in my external microSD if that works.
*Edit*
Signature verification failed when applying update via external

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh I'm sorry I should have specified the external SD card when I said SD card. I'd try the links that the other poster provided. The one at the top of the list looks like it is the right one and should not fail on the signature verification.

beri

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I found a fix that worked for me after almost a year after not being able to check for updates it got pretty frustrating. I went on My Verizon and noticed that they had my device registered as my previous Droid RAZR which was pretty weird. So I went to activate a device and chose the option to activate a device I previously used on that line and surprisingly my Note 2 wasn't even listed as previously activated on my line. So I went ahead and added a new device and put in my IMEI and activated it then reboot my phone removed SIM and put it back in and the issue was resolved. Don't know how or why it happened but it worked for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex432